The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Security Job Experiences?

Bruce Boudreau

I know where you're coming from, a college student who's slowly giving up, looking for an easy field to get into which might have growth opportunities. The issue with security jobs is the shifts and the boredom, especially on cold rainy nights.

Like the other guys said, try getting into trades, it pays. I studied Criminology for 2 years before giving up and wondering what to do. Currently, I'm studying autobody technology, and will be out of school in 7 months with a guaranteed job in the booming field. Pretty much a guarantee to make about $40+ an hour flat rate after getting my red seal. 

If you do decide to go down the security route, try getting into airport security (bag scanning); they pay about $20 an hour. 

18 minutes ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

I know where you're coming from, a college student who's slowly giving up, looking for an easy field to get into which might have growth opportunities. The issue with security jobs is the shifts and the boredom, especially on cold rainy nights.

Like the other guys said, try getting into trades, it pays. I studied Criminology for 2 years before giving up and wondering what to do. Currently, I'm studying autobody technology, and will be out of school in 7 months with a guaranteed job in the booming field. Pretty much a guarantee to make about $40+ an hour flat rate after getting my red seal. 

If you do decide to go down the security route, try getting into airport security (bag scanning); they pay about $20 an hour. 

Trades also give you the option someday owning your own business.......  Being your own boss....

The bowling Alley my team  ( the WildCATS ) play out of in Surrey Central area  is looking to hire a pin setter....

Bring 2 bike locks if you want to ride to work....

Would this be too tough of work for you.....  Let me know...

Pay is OK but you get unlimited free shoe rentals  and 50% off of concession items on weekdays ..

pin.jpg

On 28/11/2016 at 6:14 PM, drummerboy said:

Who is working 8 hours without a break?

Dude.  Seriously.   You need to give your head a shake and stop being so damn lazy. 

I feel like you are trolling me here. 

I'm not coming back to this thread.  

Congrats Chip.  You got me.  

Well I called up a guy today that is the hr for security and he says some times you are working for 5-6 hours with a very little break if you are responsible for monitoring the cameras plus you have to be flexible to pick up shifts and work early or on varied sites.

Basically as a new guy they grind on you. No wonder the us so much turnover and they are always hiring.:picard:

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

The bowling Alley my team  ( the WildCATS ) play out of in Surrey Central area  is looking to hire a pin setter....

Pay is OK but you get unlimited free shoe rentals  and 50% off of concession items on weekdays ..

pin.jpg

Now you are just trolling me...:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Remember that if someone pulls a gun, you don't need to be a hero @ $16/hr. 

Man I'm getting desperate I'm going to the job fair today that Paladin the largest security company in Vancouver has going on to ask about doing security at a shopping mall or campus.

Actually I think with no experience it's only $12 or $13 dollars.

I'm trying to talk myself into this. Maybe the crazy hours won't be too bad. Maybe things will go smooth. Maybe I will survive 5 months and be able to say I worked security.

Either way I'm making a firm decision by Monday if I am going to bite the bullet and start the process.

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Thanks. Now I am having serious second thoughts about doing security!!!

just do it ,if theres one thing I've learned about work , one thing ALWAYS leads to another . besides you might like it, but how would you know if you don't try. at the very least you would be getting paid while being in a position to get you feelers out for something else.

11 hours ago, chon derry said:

just do it ,if theres one thing I've learned about work , one thing ALWAYS leads to another . besides you might like it, but how would you know if you don't try. at the very least you would be getting paid while being in a position to get you feelers out for something else.

I'm gonna sleep on it...

On 11/29/2016 at 3:03 PM, kingofsurrey said:

pin.jpg

Damn, I forgot about pin-setting.  This thread reminded me of two jobs I hated doing.

Security was so boring.  I did graveyard night-watch at an apartment complex, and hated every minute of it except for "lunch".  At least I like bowling, but it gets awful loud behind the scenes, as you can imagine.  And also boring as hell.

@Chip Kelly As others have said, I'd recommend a trade, too.  Good luck, whatever you do.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:51 PM, chon derry said:

Awful advice. 

Security work can be pretty socially isolating. The opportunities arising out of it could be pretty limited.

To the OP, I'd strongly recommend you get a skill that separates you from the mass of unskilled labour out there. Even jobs like cooking at least teach you a skill that can lead to a job in restaurant management or potentially as a red seal chef. With security work, you are literally just sitting there watching while you could be out learning and furthering yourself. Security work is largely a dead end job, and you're going to have a lot of time to think about your life and become bitter about it.

Like others have said, I'd strongly recommend looking into trades. Maybe not even traditional ones, stuff like a Construction Safety Officer or Powerline Technician. A lot of trades will even pay you while you go to school these days.

Archived