The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which team is getting screwed the most...

canuck204

With the expansion draft this summer?

I don't totally agree that an expansion team gets to poach players off teams that put work into having a deep roster. If you want a new team you should expect to suck for a few years. Help me not be so butthurt about this. lol

ENLIGHTEN ME

Logically, weaker teams will get screwed over less considering they have weaker players to chose from.

Regarding the expansion draft, it would be absolutely ridiculous to have a new team try and run without any NHL-calibre players.

Don't worry, they will suck for a few years no matter who they select.

Teams are allowed to protect enough players that it shouldn't hurt too badly when they lose one player.  The majority of the players that will be available in the draft are middle of the road types which are usually fairly expendable.

If it wasn't for the expansion draft, the only players Vegas would have would be draft picks and free agents.  The only trades they would be able to make would be using draft picks, which they desperately need to build their team.  It would be a disaster.  They would easily set records for futility.

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Winnipeg, Tampa Bay or Edmonton. 

Future Prospects aside this Vegas team might be icing a better roster than us next year. 

Nah. We'll make some trades and signings that'll prevent this from happening. 

As for the topic, I'd have to say Tampa and Pittsburgh. Unless they find a trade they'll lose either a starting goalie or an elite young goalie for nothing. 

15 minutes ago, canuck204 said:

With the expansion draft this summer?

I don't totally agree that an expansion team gets to poach players off teams that put work into having a deep roster. If you want a new team you should expect to suck for a few years. Help me not be so butthurt about this. lol

ENLIGHTEN ME

oh really ... poaching ??

and what should an expansion team that pays 500 million entry fee.. of which each team will get 15 million or so.. get for their money? nothing?

all teams lose 1 lesser player to the expansion team and are paid 15 million dollars compensation

the teams are taking the expansion team to the cleaners

The team getting screwed the most is probably one of TB/NSH/MIN/ANA/PIT. Those teams will have to trade a good player or they will lose him for nothing.

New teams need to be at least competitive to make sure the team survives financially. Revenue sharing gives the other teams incentive to make sure they aren't completely awful, hence the expansion draft.

If you are a Canuck fan, you don't have to be butt hurt. Canucks, relatively, are not going to be hurt from this expansion. One of these 5 will be taken from us: Hansen, Dorsett, Baertschi, Granund, Gaunce, Sbisa. Canucks can protect 2 of those forwards. I'd be protecting Granlund/Baertschi and Hansen. 

Yeah, they are definitely going so suck for a good long time one way or another. Most of the simulated teams that I have seem are aggressively mediocre. 

Anaheim could have it bad if they don't trade Fowler. With the Bieksa NMC they are probably looking at losing one of Lindholm, Vatanen, or Fowler for free. And teams will know that if they are bargaining for one of their D at the deadline. 

Canucks will be one of the teams hurt the least by expansion. The better teams have more weapons that can't all be protected, better players who will be picked. This will actually benefit the Canucks, by evening the playing field ever so slightly. That's my hope anyway.

Probably Tampa, since they have Bishop and Vasilevskiy. But even if they trade one of their goalies, they'd still have to give up a quality forward with both Callahan and FIlppula eating up protection spots.

Chicago gets off the lightest (what a surprise), since Panarin is exempt despite being in his mid 20's...

Archived