The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

isles canucks (proposal)

pulock and strome for tanev and hansen. Islanders wanna win now need a winger to play with tavares    canucks get a young center and younger dman with right hand shot whos offensive 

sedin horvat eriksson

baertchi strome boeser 

sutter sedin virtanen

dorsett gaunce granlund 

edler pulock

juolevi  guddy

tryamkin stecher

hutton pedan 

marky 

demko

stacked next yr 

I think both teams wouldn't like this deal.

Strome has been weirdly good and bad at times. I don't know how he got 50 points two seasons ago and can't score the last two seasons.

Pulock was good during the one playoff series last year, but has played 16 NHL games. Still risk to giving up a Tanev for him.

Van says, no because Tanev could get more proven players; and Isles say no, because they don't need Tanev so bad, that they give up 2 young players for him.

Can someone explain why they want to trade Tanev? Every team that has been rebuilding (or bad) for years (TOR, EDM, CAR, CBJ.. etc) is in dire need of a player like Tanev. Edm traded Taylor Hall for a lesser version, Carolina has drafted Dman in the first round three years straight, Tor scores alot but is losing because they can't defend (rumoured to be looking for a shut down defensemen), CBJ traded a #1 proven center for a very good defensive player (with offensive upside). Tanev is still 26... and under a great value contract until he is 30. Canucks don't need him now, but will in 2-3 years. I think the return we get now will not out weight the cost in the future. 

The issue with this proposal is where the Isles sit.

Snow NEEDS to show Tavares he wants to win by surrounding him with talent that for whatever reason the club cannot retain.

But

Is Tavares moving on no matter what?  How does this help a club lower than us in the standings?  How does it help them for the future?

If the Isles were deep in the playoff hunt i could see this, but with where they sit now.  And knowing that Halak ++ might simply be moving on anyways when their contracts are up, a shoddy building to watch games in, Tavares possibly just leaving and few bonafide prospects left 

I don't see the Isles doing much if anything 

46 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Can someone explain why they want to trade Tanev? Every team that has been rebuilding (or bad) for years (TOR, EDM, CAR, CBJ.. etc) is in dire need of a player like Tanev. Edm traded Taylor Hall for a lesser version, Carolina has drafted Dman in the first round three years straight, Tor scores alot but is losing because they can't defend (rumoured to be looking for a shut down defensemen), CBJ traded a #1 proven center for a very good defensive player (with offensive upside). Tanev is still 26... and under a great value contract until he is 30. Canucks don't need him now, but will in 2-3 years. I think the return we get now will not out weight the cost in the future. 

I've never understood this either Art. 

You trade when you have something you can afford to give up - we don't have that right now.  Tanev is a guy that would attract a LOT of interest around the league - meaning a LOT of teams would want/need an asset like him including ourselves.  We should keep him unless someone is willing to overpay - that is the only situation where I'd be willing to let him go. 

We have up and coming offensive defencmen on our team now and 1 playing for the knights.Why not keep a proven shut down defenceman in tanev especially since i do not see any that can fill his position as well anytime soon. There is a reason there's such a demand for guys like him. Lets keep our trump card (barring an absolute overpayment) . And to all those who think he's at his peak now and on a injury ridden slid into the abiss just trying to justify a trade for a winger right now. Big mistake

8 hours ago, Dannydog said:

We have up and coming offensive defencmen on our team now and 1 playing for the knights.Why not keep a proven shut down defenceman in tanev especially since i do not see any that can fill his position as well anytime soon. There is a reason there's such a demand for guys like him. Lets keep our trump card (barring an absolute overpayment) . And to all those who think he's at his peak now and on a injury ridden slid into the abiss just trying to justify a trade for a winger right now. Big mistake

you overrate tanev  he brings no offense and is injury prone and not physical. Tryamkin idoes things better already and clears the net and wrecks people with hits. We need offense guddy, try, tanev and sbisa are a ton of no offense dmen. I know juolevi is coming but we need a right hand offensive dman and larsen aint the answer 

7 hours ago, canuktravella said:

you overrate tanev  he brings no offense and is injury prone and not physical. Tryamkin idoes things better already and clears the net and wrecks people with hits. We need offense guddy, try, tanev and sbisa are a ton of no offense dmen. I know juolevi is coming but we need a right hand offensive dman and larsen aint the answer 

Typically shutdown defensemen are not offensively minded. Yet they still have value on any team. Our defense, I would not mess with overly much, trading Tanev at this point I feel would be a mistake.

I actually think this would be a good move for the Canucks but I think the optics of trading two former first rounders for an undrafted palyer and a former 9th rounder, no matter how good they are playing, may come with a bit of a stigma attached to it.

10 hours ago, canuktravella said:

Stetcher and Subban say hi.

How many points does Edler have ?  How many does hutton and stetcher have? Not missing out on an offensive juggernaut so far this year. They are going o have to juggle some TOI but i  think we are going to be pleasently surprised to see what our new additions have.Last year we had weber and bartowski for depth when Edler went down. Wasn't good.We look alot better now. Tanev will shore up any iconsistances defensively when hes back.I for one am very excited to watch what prevails in the next few weeks

16 hours ago, canuktravella said:

Am i reading this wrong,but according to the canucks roster and stats section in 2015-16 season, tanev brought 7 less points then last years leading offensive dman,Hutton.He missed 13 games.I feel really confident seeing Tanev out with a min left where we are up by 1 or tied, cant say that for all the d .

6 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Am i reading this wrong,but according to the canucks roster and stats section in 2015-16 season, tanev brought 7 less points then last years leading offensive dman,Hutton.He missed 13 games.I feel really confident seeing Tanev out with a min left where we are up by 1 or tied, cant say that for all the d .

tanev is not offensive hes not that good 

17 hours ago, canuktravella said:

tryamkin and guddy are less offensive but way more grit and less injury prone 

stecher hutton edler have way more offense  but we need a real offensive 50-60 point dman  can  any of these guys become that no but maybe juolevi 

And you believe Stecher with what hes shown in his total of 14 games doesn't have what it takes "to be a real offensive 50-60 point Dman"? I'm going to give him more time before declaring his max potential.  Juolevi  is looking like a stud , watched him play 3 times this year at the Gardens. And took in plenty o games last year.Yet to play in the NHL. He should transition easy enough though.  2 offensive Juggernauts in the future for Van . Looking forward to it.

18 hours ago, canuktravella said:

tanev is not offensive hes not that good 

Does every Dman have to produce points to be worth anything?How about Kudos to those who reduce goals against,shots taken,clean passes out of our end. I enjoy watching a nice defensive play as much as i do goal scored. Better defensively than Steady Eddy. That's just my opinion,(Duability? Eddy 52 games total last year,Tanev 69 ) not great either way.Lets hope we don't lose either of these guys for any more time this year than what is and will be already missed.

And you believe Stecher with what hes shown in his total of 14 games doesn't have what it takes "to be a real offensive 50-60 point Dman"? I'm going to give him more time before declaring his max potential.  Juolevi  is looking like a stud , watched him play 3 times this year at the Gardens. And took in plenty o games last year.Yet to play in the NHL. He should transition easy enough though.  2 offensive Juggernauts in the future for Van . Looking forward to it.

juolevi will be great but no i dont think stecher will be a 60 point dman maybe 30 tho if hes lucky 

Does every Dman have to produce points to be worth anything?How about Kudos to those who reduce goals against,shots taken,clean passes out of our end. I enjoy watching a nice defensive play as much as i do goal scored. Better defensively than Steady Eddy. That's just my opinion,(Duability? Eddy 52 games total last year,Tanev 69 ) not great either way.Lets hope we don't lose either of these guys for any more time this year than what is and will be already missed.

tryamkin stecher guddy make tanev trade bait for that winger we need

I think this is a decent proposal. Though I don't really see Tanev as a guy NY needs even close to as much as we do. I also don't see Pulock as a guy we need seems like a younger less physical Gud to me. Strome is however quite interesting and I could see NY having interest in Hansen obviously not one for one due to the age gap and Virtanen being a non starter for Benning he would be off the table. It seems NY I'm  sure would be very interested in fixing their goalie situation though. Sooo how about something along the lines of.....

Hansen+Miller 25% retained ufa

in exchange for

Strome + Halak under performing vet signed for one more year @ 4.5m has a tendency to get hot when workload is reduced. 

Halak though a bit of a cap dump gives us another Vet goalie to split duties with Markstrom next season and bring him into becoming a starter slowly and correctly. Also this leaves Demko in the minors for another season which is the right move IMO.

Miller and Hansen help I would think to signal to Taveres NY wants to compete now Miller has been lights out and Hansen is a proven speedy gritty playoff performer.

Archived