The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Vancouver - Toronto

kloubek

To Toronto: Edler

To Vancouver: James Van Riemsdyk

Why Toronto does this:

Toronto has publically expressed that they are interested in moving a winger for a defenseman.   They have a lot of young up and coming forward players, so they can afford to move one in order to bolster their blueline.  They get a guy who is not elite in any way, but can play the game well in every way.

Why Vancouver does this:
Right now, we are a little thin on defense due to all the injuries, but typically speaking, defense is where we have the most depth and high end forward positions is where we are weakest.  Van Riemsdyk is still relatively young, has a physical edge to his game, is pretty speedy, and can score.  He slots in as an elite 2nd liner, or a below average 1st liner.  (Though this season, he's playing like a moderately high end 1st liner.  Likely a beneficiary of Toronto's strong center position.) 

I realize that Van Riemsdyk has some potential durability issues.  To that, I say that injuries can happen to anyone, and he hasn't really been in the league long enough to know if his injuries will continue.  Besides that, Edler hasn't exactly been a rock himself.

And while I think this is a pretty even trade, for anyone who thinks that we are either giving up too much or too little, I think that we could season to taste with minor picks and/or prospects going either way.

There is a reason I picked Edler over Tanev.  In my opinion, Tanev brings something to the table we don't have in anyone else: A true shutdown defenseman who can be counted on to make almost no mistakes, that we can safely match up against the opposition top line.  I know he has value, but he is a rare asset I wouldn't want to give up without a ridiculous return.  Edler has decent this, decent that, but doesn't posses anything that we cannot get out of other guys on our blueline.  Scoring should be able to be handled by Hutton, Stecher, and eventually Juolevi.  Hitting and size is covered thoroughly by Tryamkin, Gudbranson, and to a lesser degree Sbisa.  And let's face it - Edler isn't amazing at either aspect.

Toronto has already stated they are not interested in parting with Nylander, and I also wonder if there would be a hesitance by Benning to trade for Nylander considering he could have got him at the draft instead of Virtanen.  Nobody likes to eat crow.  

And yes, I had almost typed something about Edler being out for a month.  Clearly, this couldn't happen until he came back - that's pretty obvious.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Don't want the loser softie JVR.  He's a Charmin.  

Not sure how a 25 to 30 goal scorer a year is a loser and for him being a softie, not sure you actually watched him play. You're no different then people calling the Sedins soft, we all know that is false they are tough on the puck just like JVR.  This would be an excellent trade. 

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

There is a reason I picked Edler over Tanev.  In my opinion, Tanev brings something to the table we don't have in anyone else: A true shutdown defenseman who can be counted on to make almost no mistakes, that we can safely match up against the opposition top line.  I know he has value, but he is a rare asset I wouldn't want to give up without a ridiculous return.  Edler has decent this, decent that, but doesn't posses anything that we cannot get out of other guys on our blueline.  Scoring should be able to be handled by Hutton, Stecher, and eventually Juolevi.  Hitting and size is covered thoroughly by Tryamkin, Gudbranson, and to a lesser degree Sbisa.  And let's face it - Edler isn't amazing at either aspect.

Toronto has already stated they are not interested in parting with Nylander, and I also wonder if there would be a hesitance by Benning to trade for Nylander considering he could have got him at the draft instead of Virtanen.  Nobody likes to eat crow.  

And yes, I had almost typed something about Edler being out for a month.  Clearly, this couldn't happen until he came back - that's pretty obvious.

Yes and yes.. just as to whom to trade over the other and WHY. But not a big JVR fan

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I'd do baer and tanev for JVR and TML's 1st this year and 2nd next year

I Wouldn't do that deal. Benning I think is building the defence around Tanev and Juolevi I think Edler is the expendable piece here he is 30 now and is only going down hill from here. He also stated he wasn't entertaining deals for Tanev.

12 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

Not sure how a 25 to 30 goal scorer a year is a loser and for him being a softie, not sure you actually watched him play. You're no different then people calling the Sedins soft, we all know that is false they are tough on the puck just like JVR.  This would be an excellent trade. 

he is referring to injuries.

JVR would be nice for the team over the next few years. The Canucks need that scoring winger thats younger though, someone who can mature with Horvat. just look at Chicago who built their team around Toews and Kane. Vancouver needs to do something similar. Horvat and Nylander would be a good pairing but Toronto isn't interested in moving Nylander. I Think Boeser is that guy but we have to wait till next year for him. Which in that case as Benning is clearly reluctant to pull the trigger on a trade then we have to wait to see if they can draft another Scoring player next year. I'm more inclined to find a coach who can handle prospects better then how Willie has handled them, he clearly relies on his Veterans too much.

On 11/30/2016 at 0:32 PM, Alflives said:

Fact of the matter is Nylander has fallen off a cliff in performance, and is on the fourth line, because of perimeter play.  

Noooooooooooooo to softie 

Nylander was back on their 1st line after 1 shift on the 4th line and his production has been stable. Not really a softie, but as the poster above you posted Leafs wouldn't trade him

2 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Nylander was back on their 1st line after 1 shift on the 4th line and his production has been stable. Not really a softie, but as the poster above you posted Leafs wouldn't trade him

The rumour is Leafs offered Nylander for Hamilton.  Burkie was insulted.  That's why all the Burkie rant on the radio.

On 12/1/2016 at 4:29 PM, Alflives said:

The rumour is Leafs offered Nylander for Hamilton.  Burkie was insulted.  That's why all the Burkie rant on the radio.

That wasn't the Leafs. Burke would never threaten to out Lou. That would be a fair offer, maybe favoring Calgary a bit, think you are underrating Nylander a bit here.

Dreger said it was Arizona offering Duclair.

16 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

That wasn't the Leafs. Burke would never threaten to out Lou. That would be a fair offer, maybe favoring Calgary a bit, think you are underrating Nylander a bit here.

Dreger said it was Arizona offering Duclair.

Isn't Duclair more proven than Nylander?

Archived