Canucks Community

[proposal] Vancouver - Toronto

kloubek

• 3 weeks later...
On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 8:35 AM, kloubek said:

To Toronto: Edler

To Vancouver: James Van Riemsdyk

Why Toronto does this:

Toronto has publically expressed that they are interested in moving a winger for a defenseman.   They have a lot of young up and coming forward players, so they can afford to move one in order to bolster their blueline.  They get a guy who is not elite in any way, but can play the game well in every way.

Why Vancouver does this:
Right now, we are a little thin on defense due to all the injuries, but typically speaking, defense is where we have the most depth and high end forward positions is where we are weakest.  Van Riemsdyk is still relatively young, has a physical edge to his game, is pretty speedy, and can score.  He slots in as an elite 2nd liner, or a below average 1st liner.  (Though this season, he's playing like a moderately high end 1st liner.  Likely a beneficiary of Toronto's strong center position.) 

I realize that Van Riemsdyk has some potential durability issues.  To that, I say that injuries can happen to anyone, and he hasn't really been in the league long enough to know if his injuries will continue.  Besides that, Edler hasn't exactly been a rock himself.

And while I think this is a pretty even trade, for anyone who thinks that we are either giving up too much or too little, I think that we could season to taste with minor picks and/or prospects going either way.

Edler hangs up the phone and continuts to get dressed for practice....

21 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Edler hangs up the phone and continuts to get dressed for practice....

Why is that?  He has already said that if a team didn't want him that he didn't want to play there. 

Toronto - as much as we don't want to admit it - is an up and coming team.  They have gobs of young talent, and a Matthews/Marner 1/2 punch is going to help drive that team a ton.  I see no reason why Edler wouldn't waive his clause to go there; I think he would really feed off the recent energy there, and perhaps get his stats back on track after what has been a dreadful start in the offensive stats department.

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Why is that?  He has already said that if a team didn't want him that he didn't want to play there. 

Toronto - as much as we don't want to admit it - is an up and coming team.  They have gobs of young talent, and a Matthews/Marner 1/2 punch is going to help drive that team a ton.  I see no reason why Edler wouldn't waive his clause to go there; I think he would really feed off the recent energy there, and perhaps get his stats back on track after what has been a dreadful start in the offensive stats department.

I think its a moot point as I don't see Toronto trading the assets required for the Canucks to pull the trigger. A contending team might be more willing or maybe a team like Ottawa considering they are wasting Karlsson's prime. A top 4 of Edler-Karlsson and Phaneuf-Ceci might be appealing.to them.

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

I agree with you...I'm first in line to wish him the heck out of here...but generally the players don't think the way we do.

Archived