The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stetcher or Subban?

Sedin Brothers

Who do you think has more upside?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

These guys play pretty much the same role - and I actually think Jordan has a higher ceiling. Don't get me wrong, I'd love them both on the team, but I doubt both will be able to make the team at the same time due to the size. 

So simple. Who would you prefer? Stetcher is proving himself in the NHL, BUT don't think Subban couldn't do the same. He's an offensive genius.... and Stetcher's defense isn't the best (like Subban for his size)

I think Benning trades Subban..

Before you answer, think to yourself - Could Subban thrive in the same situation?

But considering the fact that Stech is only touching the surface of what he's capable of AND doing it at the NHL level already makes one think he is a guy who defies what his ceiling is supposed to be. You don't give up a guy like that.
Would love to see Subban get a crack some day, but yeah, hard to imagine both on the same roster considering their styles of play and the fact that we have Tanev and Guddy as righties as well.
But if history has shown anything, it's that having an abundance of right handed defensemen is not a bad problem to have.

3 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

Subbans expendable at this point. Only shows promise in the AHL, his value in a trade likely won't be any higher. Or hold onto him till training camp next year and maybe he'll try and learn from Stetcher on what it takes to crack the lineup. 

Benning won't even give him the opportunity. In training camp the past two years he's been cut before the first game.

10 minutes ago, Sedin Brothers said:

These guys play pretty much the same role - and I actually think Jordan has a higher ceiling. Don't get me wrong, I'd love them both on the team, but I doubt both will be able to make the team at the same time due to the size. 

So simple. Who would you prefer? Stetcher is proving himself in the NHL, BUT don't think Subban couldn't do the same. He's an offensive genius.... and Stetcher's defense isn't the best (like Subban for his size)

I think Benning trades Subban

Stecher is a combination of Biega's bulldog and Subban's skill.  Stecher is BY FAR the better player, with a MUCH higher ceiling. 

1 minute ago, Sedin Brothers said:

Benning won't even give him the opportunity. In training camp the past two years he's been cut before the first game.

Then we trade him, but that's on him for not proving that he deserves to be in the final game, not benning.

Just now, Sedin Brothers said:

As much as I would love to see Subban get a chance and also feel he was cut early personally, you have to sort of take the organization's word for it if they don't see him as being NHL ready yet considering this organization's ability to analyze talent in defensemen time and time again.

At this point I'd say Stecher simply due to the fact that for the most part defending hasn't been a big deficiency in his game, and that is at the NHL level. Gotta love his compete level too, the way he battles to get the puck back and move it out of his zone. 

The knock on Subban that you hear guys like his coach Green say is his defensive play. I've admittedly not watched Comets game so I have no first hand knowledge but right now this is the reason I would choose Stecher. 

We don't know yet how Subban may develop. He may have the slight edge in offense right now and if his defensive game develops, who knows how good of an asset he could be. For right now though, how could your money not be on Stecher, he;s actually bringing it in the big league. Nucks were lucky to sign him and that he wanted to come home. 

If they both reached their ceilings, maybe Subban scores more points (and probably more goals), but Stecher plays more minutes and ranks higher in the defensive order. Stecher's ceiling is first pairing. Subban is more like second pairing with an offensive focus. Again, I'm talking about their ceilings and not necessarily where I would project their careers. 

Archived