The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stetcher or Subban?

Sedin Brothers

Who do you think has more upside?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Definitely Stecher right now but subban has 14pts in 17gp in ahl he's almost ppg player he has close to elite if not elite offensive he probably has better offense then Stecher but Stecher has the two way game and is contributing extremely well at the NHL level, I wanna see how he plays against more physical teams cuz he fits in really well against small fast teams

After one shift in the NHL, Stecher showed he can play at this level and be a difference maker. Subban couldn't even do that in pre-season. The biggest thing that surprised me about Stecher was his work in the corners. He always makes the first move into the corners and uses his quickness and smarts to win those battles against guys who are 20-40 lbs heavier. And not afraid to take the puck himself out of danger. He rarely gives it away or ices the puck when pressured in his end. It's so refreshing not seeing him drill the puck into an opposing forwards shin pads every other shot. 

I think with Subban they're still working with him to fine tune his game and find that balance that allows him to play within a system.

I think he could already compete and contribute at the NHL level, but they are trying to work on his situational awareness. Most of the negatives or concerns I hear about Subban is not that he can't defend in his own end or is too small, it's that he has a tendancy to go left when everyone is going right, and tries to make something out of nothing too many times. That's why he's been sent down immediately. The Canucks know what they have there in terms of talent, but they also know what he is still lacking. He's got to be developed. 

I think Subban could put up 80 or 90 points in the AHL and unless he continues to show progress playing within the system, he's not going to get the opportunity here. It sounds like this season he has made a lot of positive steps in that direction.

Ideally I would like both of them, but Subban at this point may get Hunter Shinkaruked if you know what I mean.

Baertschi just came in and kind of took his spot. He showed he could play an NHL game before Shinkaruk could and showed real upside as a role player. After the dominoes fell, the Canucks felt comfortable with going with Baertschi and then trading for another asset and role filler in Granlund, who is showing promise as I predicted.

Right now it looks as if Stecher is doing that same thing to Jordan Subban. Especially with Juolevi and now Brisebois showing they could be legitimate NHL players, I could see Subban traded. However the good news is, apparently Benning and Linden are still high on Subban and think he is very talented. So it's unlikely that trades him for nothing in like an add on to a deal. If Subban is traded I fully expect a solid piece coming back. If not, I'm not opposed to both Subban and Stecher in the future. Depth is always good, as we can tell

I honestly still think Jordan has a higher ceiling. That said, Stecher is way more likely to hit his ceiling. If we were to evaluate who's more likely to become the better player, it's Stecher, easily. Jordan is unlikely to hit his ceiling and may not even make the NHL. It really depends on the question you are to ask. 

Who has a higher ceiling? Subban.

Who's more likely to become a better player? Stecher.

6 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I honestly still think Jordan has a higher ceiling. That said, Stecher is way more likely to hit his ceiling. If we were to evaluate who's more likely to become the better player, it's Stecher, easily. Jordan is unlikely to hit his ceiling and may not even make the NHL. It really depends on the question you are to ask. 

Who has a higher ceiling? Subban.

Who's more likely to become a better player? Stecher.

^^

I think if Subban reached his full potential he would be a lot more dynamic in his game.  But his deficiencies in his own zone hurt his chances from ever aking it big.  One thing that really separates Stecher and Subban is the compete in their own zone.  Stecher has a better gap control and is super aggressive which makes up for size.  Subban is too passive which illuminates the size deficiency.  He allows the opposition to gain a leg up in positioning that by the time Subban is in good defensive posture, the opposition is a step or two ahead of him.  

I like Jordan, but if I were to choose to keep one, Troy's defensive stability is far better than Jordan.s  You can put up the points all he wants but if Subby can't defent to save his life, his career won't last long in the big leagues.

2 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

Benning won't even give him the opportunity. In training camp the past two years he's been cut before the first game.

A player needs to earn his own opportunity. Subban so far unfortunately has not.

I had a co worker suggest Subban try playing forward.. This was earlier this year. Pre Penticton time. I was like wtf you crazy. Now with Stecher playing so well and getting almost all his shots on net which has been non existant here for several years.. It might be the only way Subban makes the team. 

I think its crazy still.. But is it possible? Maybe. Bieksa played forward before we drafted him didnt his junior coach switch him to D..? 

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We're still going to need #7 and #8 D in the next couple years. Especially an offensive one to cover for the eventual Stetcher injuries. 

Yeah but I bet Ollie J takes that spot.... If not next year most likely the year after Ollies gonna be gunning for that same spot. And if Stecher is injured this year we will just see biega plug in.. No pun intended

Archived