The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stetcher or Subban?

Sedin Brothers

Who do you think has more upside?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quite frankly I think Subban hasn't been given enough opportunity to show he can translate his game to the NHL.

I'm sure he has defensive deficiencies, but so do many of our players (look at Sbisa's pizzas). The fact is that Subban is scoring in the AHL at a rate that is unprecedented for Vancouver defensive prospects and our NHL team has had trouble scoring this year. Why not give Subban a few NHL games to show if he can translate his offensive game into the NHL and then make the decision if its worth keeping him despite his defensive liabilities?

Its hard to compare Stecher and Subban because one has been given every opportunity to show his skill at the NHL level (granted he's made excellent use of those chances) while the other hasn't yet had an NHL game despite excellent play at the AHL level.

Ultimately Stecher is currently the better defenseman, but I think that is a product of the opportunities that have been given to him. I would like Subban to be given a few NHL games and if he shows he can't produce, at least we can say he was given a shot. 

1 hour ago, hearditall said:

Our Defence is playoff deep in depth NOW & it's very young...  

Tryamkin & Stetcher make JB a genius in my eyes...

Might be the only thing saving WD's job right now.

heard he was praising Hutton and Stecher on the radio,. But no acknowledgement for Tryamkin, who may be leading the NHL in hits shortly.

I think they're tough to compare considering Subban hasn't really had an opportunity to show what he's got at the NHL level. Granted, he's got his weaknesses but he's also scoring a rate none of our other defensive prospects are. Not at the AHL level anyway. Stecher has gotten an opportunity, and while he's made the most of it he's still gotten that opportunity while Jordan hasn't. Until Jordan gets that opportunity I don't think a fair comparison can be made. All this being said I think Stecher is currently the better D, but I also think there are a number of folks writing Jordan off too soon. There's nothing wrong with having a guy marinate in the minors. If they both hit their potential as NHL players though I wouldn't be surprised if Subban produced more. That's a big if though.

2 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Tanev is a good chip but we'd still have to give a decent forward to get a player like forsberg most likely

Protect Granlund, trade Baer + Tanev for a solid young forward prospect (that's exempt from the draft)...?

7 hours ago, Jetliner said:

stecher is going to be a 40 pt offensive defensemen. subban is not going to make it to the NHL

/thread

Awfully early to call that Stecher's ceiling. He could be well over 40 points next season if things go well for him and the team and he keeps moving his legs the way he does. Patience! People are way too quick to jump to conclusions on what a player will or will not be. Let's just enjoy watching him play and see what the kid can do! He's a local kid that's fun to watch and does a hell of a job getting the puck on net, or at least past the defending forwards shin pads(unlike Gudbranson the other night). Love his pump fakes while walking the line!!!

5 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Didn't he get a game or two last year?

No he didn't. I remember at training camp a lot of people were pretty mad because Subban was one of the very first players cut, even though he looked like one of the best players on the ice.

I watched the training camp last year, pre Strecher and Subban was by far the fastest d man on the ice and moved the puck much more comfortably than anyone on the team. He really needs to get a chance at some games before anyone can say he's not going to make the NHL. He's already at the very top of the AHL and if the Canucks don't give him any games someone else certainly will. 

6 hours ago, LarsEller said:

No he didn't. I remember at training camp a lot of people were pretty mad because Subban was one of the very first players cut, even though he looked like one of the best players on the ice.

I watched the training camp last year, pre Strecher and Subban was by far the fastest d man on the ice and moved the puck much more comfortably than anyone on the team. He really needs to get a chance at some games before anyone can say he's not going to make the NHL. He's already at the very top of the AHL and if the Canucks don't give him any games someone else certainly will. 

They've still got this year and next before he's a waiver risk. The Canucks don't have to give him anything more than they already are. Which is an opportunity to develop. 

He's not NHL ready yet. He has immense offensive talent but struggles to play within a system and in his own end. Small or not, your not going to get a shot in the NHL without at least some semblance of those two things. 

Patience. 

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

PK said Jordan is the more skilled between them. You can't teach skill. 

Jared Staal was also supposed to be the best out of them all. PK is not going to be the most objective person about his brother Jordan.

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

They've still got this year and next before he's a waiver risk. The Canucks don't have to give him anything more than they already are. Which is an opportunity to develop. 

He's not NHL ready yet. He has immense offensive talent but struggles to play within a system and in his own end. Small or not, your not going to get a shot in the NHL without at least some semblance of those two things. 

Patience. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting him to get games right away, but later this year with injurys or next year he will eventually get games. Regardless of which parts of his game are weak he is dominating in Utica right now. If Vancouver doesn't give him a shot at games eventually then someone else will take him and give him that shot.  But in the meantime the more time he spends working on those weaknesses in Utica the better his chances of sticking in Van when he gets his chance.

Also from watching him play people seem to overrate his defensive shortcomings. He is a strong skater and is difficult to take off the puck. Size is the biggest obstacle for him at this point. 

Archived