The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jayson Megna | #46 | C

-SN-

50 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

He's fine...as a 4th liner.  

Even then, he's probably a top six AHL guy on most teams. He's had pretty good numbers in the AHL, so I'd expect to see him there more in the future.

Disagree.  He doesn't do ANYTHING well enough to justify putting him in the lineup, regardless of injuries.  Even as a fourth liner, there's zero excuse for playing him. The fact that WD insists on playing the second coming of Andrew Ebbett is all the evidence necessary to justify his immediate dismissal.

There is no reason a sane organization takes him off the AHL affiliate and risks their coach dressing this useless pylon.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Disagree.  He doesn't do ANYTHING well enough to justify putting him in the lineup, regardless of injuries.  Even as a fourth liner, there's zero excuse for playing him. The fact that WD insists on playing the second coming of Andrew Ebbett is all the evidence necessary to justify his immediate dismissal.

There is no reason a sane organization takes him off the AHL affiliate and risks their coach dressing this useless pylon.

I think he looks a lot worse than he is because he's not being put in a position to succeed. Being played as a top six guy not only puts more pressure for him to get points, but it's also putting him in a role that doesn't work with him. It's like putting Chaput in a top six role. No one complains about Chaput's offense because he's on the 4th line and he can be effective on the 4th line. His abilities as an energy forward aren't being wasted as Megna's are. Willie's misuse of Megna makes him look even worse than he is. I'd like to see him consistently on the 4th line before writing him off as absolutely useless. If he proves that even then he can't keep up with the 4th line role, then I'd say that he should definitely be sent down.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Plus, Megna is 27.  We should be letting the young guys, who have not reached their ceilings, a chance to play.  Guys like Megna and Skille, who are older fringe players shouldn't be on our team.  Those spots should be for our young guys.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Plus, Megna is 27.  We should be letting the young guys, who have not reached their ceilings, a chance to play.  Guys like Megna and Skille, who are older fringe players shouldn't be on our team.  Those spots should be for our young guys.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Playing guys like Megma just show our team to be desperate club grasping for an outside shot at  8-10th in our conference.

Its like the ugly guy /  ugly chick at the bar at closing time..... Not a pretty sight to see that kind of no self respect desperation...

Have some self respect JB/Willie.    True Canuck fans can handle a full  rebuild.   

Edited by kingofsurrey

49 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Playing guys like Megma just show our team to be desperate club grasping for an outside shot at  8-10th in our conference.

Its like the ugly guy /  ugly chick at the bar at closing time..... Not a pretty sight to see that kind of no self respect desperation...

Have some self respect JB/Willie.    True Canuck fans can handle a full  rebuild.   

No they can't. Empty arena tells a very different story.

Retool. Rebuild. Every team 'rebuilds" every year. Chicago is rebuilding. Pittsburgh is rebuilding. The Canuicks are rebuilding. Retool versus rebuild, nothing more than use of semantics to describe exactly the same strategy. You try to replace and improve every year, whether that is adding to a "core" of players or building around a youthful "hopeful core".

2 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

No they can't. Empty arena tells a very different story.

Retool. Rebuild. Every team 'rebuilds" every year. Chicago is rebuilding. Pittsburgh is rebuilding. The Canuicks are rebuilding. Retool versus rebuild, nothing more than use of semantics to describe exactly the same strategy. You try to replace and improve every year, whether that is adding to a "core" of players or building around a youthful "hopeful core".

Playing a  27 yr old Career AHL player on your team when you clearly out of the playoffs is a joke.

Giving him PP 1 time is  complete joke.    

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not when they haven't earned it. Being young shouldn't be a blank cheque to play. I'll take a less skillful player with a hockey IQ built from experience over a "green" rookie who hasn't earned his time.

I'm tired of you bitching for a youth movement. We have one of the youngest D corps in the league, if not the youngest. At forward we have 5 of current Top 9 under 25.

Seems like a youthful rebuild to me.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Playing a  27 yr old Career AHL player on your team when you clearly out of the playoffs is a joke.

Giving him PP 1 time is  complete joke.    

Hey, I don't agree with his deployment on the PP etc but......

Who replaces him? Who has earned those minutes?

He plays a pretty responsible defensive game, has some speed, chips in occasionally. Pretty sure they would prefer he was a 4th liner but Virtanen in particular isn't ready.

2 hours ago, TheCammer said:

Hey, I don't agree with his deployment on the PP etc but......

Who replaces him? Who has earned those minutes?

He plays a pretty responsible defensive game, has some speed, chips in occasionally. Pretty sure they would prefer he was a 4th liner but Virtanen in particular isn't ready.

Hansen has earned those minutes on the PP. It baffles me how resistant WD is to using him there, given that he has a great shot as well as an ability to win puck battles (something the PP often seems to struggle with when under pressure). He showed chemistry with the Sedins last year when he played with them too. I don't mind Megna in a fourth line role, but he's just out of his element playing on the first unit and should never be anywhere near the top six.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Hansen has earned those minutes on the PP. It baffles me how resistant WD is to using him there, given that he has a great shot as well as an ability to win puck battles (something the PP often seems to struggle with when under pressure). He showed chemistry with the Sedins last year when he played with them too. I don't mind Megna in a fourth line role, but he's just out of his element playing on the first unit and should never be anywhere near the top six.

Hansen would be a potential choice. Agreed.

He has just returned from injury. He is also a key PK member. Willie D likes to keep everyone's ice-time in check.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, joe-max said:

E. He is a team player with solid speed, good hustle and defense. Just like Burrows and Hansen (without the finish).

yes. those all might be true. but that doesn't mean he should be playing top six minutes. that doesn't make sense to me and to so many other fans. he's a bottom six player. probably just a good fourth line player. even middle six upside and deployment is questionable at best. 

19 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Megna looks real good when he's playing a 3rd line role. It's a night and day difference. Let's keep him there and he might actually make an NHL career for himself.

Isn't he late 20's?  I think he's had his chance, and we need to let Gaunce play that spot, or another young player with upside.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn't he late 20's?  I think he's had his chance, and we need to let Gaunce play that spot, or another young player with upside.  

Just turned 27 last month, so I definitely think he can make a career as a bottom six forward still. 3rd or 4th line for Megna is fine for me, as I too would like Gaunce to get some 3rd line time. He's got such a north-south game that doesn't really seem to work with the twins, but does work with other energy forwards.

1 minute ago, ajhockey said:

Just turned 27 last month, so I definitely think he can make a career as a bottom six forward still. 3rd or 4th line for Megna is fine for me, as I too would like Gaunce to get some 3rd line time. He's got such a north-south game that doesn't really seem to work with the twins, but does work with other energy forwards.

I still would rather see the 23 and under crowd taking spots from the older (fringe) NHLers.  

So here is the deal.  I am so tired of all this Megna deal I decided to take a look, especially when I consider that we have Brendan G in the lineup.  So to start, what about Jayson.

- he is 27 years old

- he was undrafted  - suggests limited potential

- last 12 games 0 points.

- doesn't penalty kill; 59 seconds total all year

- shots 51

Stats:   Goals    Assist    Total      +/-

4            3           7          -4

TOI/GP  12.34

Now lets compare him to Gaunce

- he is 22 years old

- he was drafted in the first round, suggesting high potential [ he has high hockey IQ and leadership,  . . .can you say Bo mini me.

- last 12 games 1 point

- penalty kills more recently, lots of potential, very sound defensively

- shots 49

Stats:   Goals    Assist    Total      +/-

0           5           5          0

TOI/GP  9:15

So first, lets remember that Gaunce has had his ice time increase in the last few games which distort these stats.  Bottom line, Gaunce provides much better value than Megna in every department.  So the question is, why., when we are suppose to be developing youth are we playing Megna period, let alone ahead of Gaunce?  At least there is some promise in Gaunce and none in Megna.  At least if you play Gaunce WAY ahead of Megna, there is the potential that he will develop more, . . . .none for Megna.

A great example of very poor coaching decisions by Willy, for both himself and for the organization.  

So lets play Gaunce for another 2 minutes plus a nite, and lets play him with some of the best players on the Canucks.  And let's give him lots of confidents in what he can do.

Who do you think performs better.  And that's with a guy that is a rookie and trying to break into the lineup vs. a 27 year old.

Willy makes very poor coaching decisions and lineup choices.  There is no logical reason the Megna gets played ahead of Gaunce. That says nothing of the fact the Gaunce is 6'2" and 220 lbs., and Megan is 6'1'' and 195.  And how about hits: Gaunce 92 and leads the team, vs. Megan 66.

You can't make this stuff up . . . . !

• Upvote 2