The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

P.E.I. Police service apologizes to Nickelback

nucklehead

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/pei-police-service-apologizes-to-nickelback-takes-down-viral-joke-post/it37450

KENSINGTON, P.E.I. - A small-town P.E.I. police department has issued a public apology to Nickelback, and taken down a social media post that threatened to force drunk drivers to listen to the Alberta band's music.

In a heartfelt Facebook post Friday, a Kensington police officer said that after the "joke" post went viral, he began to feel like a bully.

"I am sorry to (band members) Chad, Ryan, Mike and Daniel. Not as just members of Nickelback, but more importantly as fellow Canadians. I'm sorry guys because I didn't take a moment to think of you AS just guys," the officer said.

2 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

The cops were using a semi-humane torture tactic to punish drunk drivers, so Nickleback were actually providing a public service in a sense.

Maybe the police should use their songs during interrogations.

Seriously, Nicklback is a Surrey band.  The cops in PEI found that out, and got scared of Surrey boys retribution.  

My guess is that the guys in the band would have found it funny.

They've been making fun of themselves for years and have completely embraced the "hate".

In the video for "This Afternoon" a bunch of nerds kidnap the band to have them play their party, to show that they're "cool" When they get back, the nerd leader says "Nickelback?!? You kidnapped Nickelback!!!????"...

48 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My guess is that the guys in the band would have found it funny.

They've been making fun of themselves for years and have completely embraced the "hate".

In the video for "This Afternoon" a bunch of nerds kidnap the band to have them play their party, to show that they're "cool" When they get back, the nerd leader says "Nickelback?!? You kidnapped Nickelback!!!????"...

I had to neg you for knowing a little too much about Nickelback

2 hours ago, Seahawks85 said:

I had to neg you for knowing a little too much about Nickelback

I guess I'll have to live with that.

FTR: My band had "This Afternoon" in our set list a few years back because the person who hired us was a fan and requested we play one of their songs. We did "Burn it to the Ground" as well, but it was too tough vocally and we couldn't drop the key because it was open tuning....

I think a lot of Nickleback hate draws back to the fact that they are an average rock band, but since they are Canadian (just like every other Canadian artist) they were rammed down our throat by music media when they were popular.

Plus Chad Kroeger is kind of funny looking.  Got a Nick Cage vibe to him.

cagelback-300x202.jpeg

Hey having to listen to Nicklecrap falls under the guidelines of cruel and unusual punishment.  There are laws that protect us from that.  As for calling them a Surrey band them would be fighting words to the good folks of Hanna AB.  Why they still lay claim to them is anybody's guess.  Loved a video I watched on Youtube years ago of them performing on stage in Portugal....roundly booed by the crowd after an opening number things tossed on stage...Kroeger warns crowd to settle down or we leave....then the deluge started.    Portugal won the war.

13 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

I honestly do not get the Nickelback hate.  Seen them live many times in the past 20 years.  Even saw them in a night club in Langley. They put on a hell of a show.

Person who regularly sees nickelback repeatedly live likes nickelback and doesn't get why people dislike it! Shocker.

Leave it to the internet to blow something mild way, way out of proportion. It's actually depressing the cops felt the need to apologize over it. Oh no, drunk people listening to music they might dislike and poking fun at it?! Cue outrage.

PS: I'm also very happy I live in a country where this sort of thing is news.

Funny thing is Curb, their first CD, is probably in my top 20 of all time, really good album. But holy fizzle's they took that pop recipe and never deviated from it no matter how unbearable their music became.  Just wait until that Levinge/Kroeger Lovechild forms a band....

This story will probably will end up in some form of "meanwhile in Canada" type memes.

As for Nickelback, they are obviously a generic rock band past their prime, but not really any different than other generic rock bands.  It was just a trendy thing to do to hate on them for a while and to the point where the hate itself became a generic, entry level way to signal your "good" taste in music.  Lol @ people hating on Nickelback and then going off to listen to 21 Pilots or whatever.

Archived