The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why do people hate Toronto?

smokes

Grew up in Vancouver, live in Toronto. One thing I've noticed is just how insane Vancouver is at comparing itself with others, and really putting down other places. 

Vancouver has a "we're the best, everywhere else sucks" and "we should be more important" type of attitude. Constantly you see articles "why Vancouver is better than xyz" etc. This type of thinking seems almost non-existent in Toronto.

Vancouver whines and complains they don't get the attention Toronto gets while looking down on cities like Calgary and Edmonton. 

When I moved to Toronto people acted like I was insane, expected me to hate it, and be moving back right away. To be honest I absolutely love it here and the idea of going back to BC one day makes me sad (despite the fact I miss all of my family and friends there). 

In general, people in Toronto don't have a "were the best" attitude. They only say positive things about other cities and provinces. And really, overall, identify themselves as Canadians, not Vancouverites or "the best coast". They take more pride in being from Canada than Toronto. This doesn't mean they don't love their city. 

I think the combination of high real estate prices (and cost of living), shortage of high pay/high quality work, and constant rain have contributed to this strange attitude/personality Vancouver has. I kinda miss the 90s when Vancouver was the humble underdog. Between David Duchonvy threatening to quit X-Files because he didn't like Vancouver, and the griping we got from the Grizzlies, we felt our city was so much better than it got credit for. Ever since we won the Olympic bid the praise and attention this city has received has really made it arrogant. Overrated, overpriced, overhyped. The hate for Toronto is a product of this. 

I neither like Toronto nor dislike it.  I have never been there (other than a stop over at the airport), nor do I have any desire to go there.  I have no close friends or relatives there.

The media assumes that things in Toronto are a proxy for things Canadian.  It is our largest city but it doesn't represent me in the least.  Toronto teams are not my favorite, nor are they my second favorite necessarily.  Canadian media is based in Toronto.  Each NHL city should have a local broadcast to cater to local interest imo.  To broadcast local Toronto interests nationally and assume that other cities are particularly interested is a mistaken assumption.   If I am wrong, and there is a strictly local Toronto broadcast that I don't know about, then the national broadcast should at least attempt to hide their personal bias.  

The other night, post game, the commentators were criticizing the Vancouver players for celebrating a goal too enthusiastically.  Would they say anything if the Leafs did the same?  They are both young up and coming teams.  Come on.  Your bias is showing Toronto sports media.

I am as interested in Toronto teams as much as Buffalo or the Islanders.  I am more interested in teams like Florida and even Carolina because I like to see how some of the ex-Canucks are doing.   

Vancouver people think they are better than everyone else. It's like no other city in North America in that respect. It's kinda like London or Paris. I'm not sure when it happened either. I remember as a kid, a trip to Vancouver was a life altering opportunity. In Saskatchewan it was almost a status symbol. Pfft you never been to Vancouver? Loser. Now everyone trashes it. Hongcouver is one I hear on a daily basis in Alberta it annoys the crap out of me. Vancouver people bring it on themselves though. It's the second biggest city in Canada and they can't even fill the building of a +\- 500 hockey club. Then the worse part of that is "there is so much to do in Vancouver" ya while it's raining in the dark. Vancouver is just so full of entitlement. People absolutely hate that. I know there are great people in Vancouver. I spend my summer with a lot of them in the Shuswap. They are fading though. And that's unfortunate.

When working in the USA or other parts of the world the only thing the can identify Vancouver with was the 2011 riot. That riot killed the cities reputation. 

I've lived there, for me it's the way almost everyone out there looks down their nose at us in the west. Most of the politicians from that area of Canada don't care about the west, and the maritimes as well. Just because I was wearing my Canucks jersey I ended up in a fight out side a convenience store, a typical leafs fan started pushing me for no reason. 

I don't hate the Leafs - by that I mean I don't really dislike any of the players. But its the constant media bias towards them that irks me, along with the favouritism from the league. Guys like O'Sullivan shouldn't even have jobs or be relevant, he's no better than your average Twitter troll and its amazing how many of these guys are around in the Toronto media. Thankfully Sportsnet purged most of their on-air scum this summer so we have to see them on TV a little less.

3 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Alberta? The most disgusting province in Canada.  The tar sands pit of our Country. Very sad the greed of money will destroy out planet. 

Nope, BC is the worst.  We chop our trees, drown our valleys and pump a tanker full of raw sewage into the Ocean every 4 days....all because of greed.  

Why must a Gore Bore show up at every opportunity.

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

They were the aggressor. And now, they're hiding behind the league. That's good enough reason for me to despise them. 

This right here 100%.

Last game was a cheap and dirty display by the Leafs,and they are clearly playing the victim now.  With all of the articles on Sportsnet, and the fact fact that the whole team has to meet with Quintal before the game is BS.  Are the Leaf players having to meet with the head of Player Safety as well?

And don't get me started on the portrait of the villain they painted Guddy to be after the comments he made, the same comments that are made on the ice every game.  There is Video of Kadri saying it on ice to players and he has done the throat slit gesture on more than one occasion...He is one of the league's worst.

4 hours ago, Darius71 said:

The game starts at 4pm today - That sums it up for me.  For decades Ive endured our national media outlets pandering to and slobbering over anything Toronto.

When they do a Toronto vs ANY other CANADIAN team broadcast you get the sense that the other team is in a foreign country.  Ive seen Canuck game pre-empted by meaningless blue jays games, Ive watched Doug Gilmour get kissed on live TV by CBC hosts, and listened to broadcast teams practically openly cheer for the laffs in the playoffs. In the old days we would get like 20 weekend laff games and maybe 6 Canuck games. There are too many examples to bring up.  

Also, lets not forget that the leafs have been horrible for a decade.  Now that they are improving - watch out ...the love fest is going to get elevated to a new level. It will be like the early 90s again.  Watching two leaf muppets singing to a bon jovi song 100 times in the sports highlights is just the beginning.

I dont hate the team that much, its the fact that the team is shoved down Canada's throat that makes me dislike Toronto.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

1 hour ago, clam linguine said:

Nope, BC is the worst.  We chop our trees, drown our valleys and pump a tanker full of raw sewage into the Ocean every 4 days....all because of greed.  

Why must a Gore Bore show up at every opportunity.

You have got to be kidding... go and read about the tar sands and the damage they do. Gain some knowledge before you spout you're BS.

21 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

You have got to be kidding... go and read about the tar sands and the damage they do. Gain some knowledge before you spout you're BS.

Go to a pipeline thread and get educated instead of volunteering pubescent garbage on a Toronto thread. Or take a trip to Sparwood and Elkford to check out mountains that no longer exist. Big Money tells you to hate oil sands because it takes money out of their pockets and puts money into yours.  They don't care about our sewer, or the planet.

Hate Toronto as a city? Not at all!  I have been to Toronto back in the summer of 2006 with a friend of mine.  We went to college in Rochester NY and made plans to spend a few days in Toronto.  We visited the Hockey Hall of Fame and went to a couple of Blue Jays games (he is a baseball fan).  Overall, a great city and I would re-visit it if I have the time and money but with a wife and child and living in Colorado, it is more $$$ to travel these days. :(

Archived