The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article - Leafs' reno on pace, while Canucks lagging behind

CanadianRugby

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Oh I agree.  The Leafs have some very skilled offence minded forwards, but their defence is horrible.  They are building backwards.  I like how JB has established an excellent you d d corpse for us first.  

The trouble with what you said Alf is that having a strong Defense right now will keep us close in games, and let us win games we should otherwise loose........it is not that is bad if you want to settle for a middle of the road team, but in no way prepares you for the top of the league.

This is exactly what I have been struggling with.......we are competitive in goal and defense......but are not really competitive on our forward lines, at least not long term.....this is why I advocate doing exactly what Toronto did, and moving our veterans.......

Ok, so we move out vets for picks and blue chip prospects, keep them in the minors the next 2 years, pick offensive players in the draft, then in a couple of years move some picks for more players, taking our draft picks with us as we go..........so yes Toronto lost, but In 2 years, Toronto > Vancouver, if they aren't now, and in my opinion, which is worth a hill of beans.......Vancouver will slide down, while Toronto will raise.

My bet is as Toronto improves more UFA's will want to be there......does that sound familiar?

I would rather pay now, while we have the assets to move...........apparently, Benning and Linden do not agree with that senario

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

They spent 7 doing what we are doing now. Get use to it. 

At least our back end is shaping up nicely. ^_^ We are now flush with Dmen, who are the most valuable position in the league. If someon really needs a Dman at some point maybe we can pull a Taylor Hall type trade off and speed the rebuild. Not Kane though, his value is less then Sbisa at this point. 

Toronto and Edmontons defense always sucks. Until they get this on track, there will be no cups in their futures. 

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I swear the Leafs have been re-building for the better part of 10 years. 

Yes.  It started (maybe) when they hired Brian Burke back in 2008.  In 2009, Burkie traded for Phil Kessel in return for 2 1st round picks and a 2nd (Seguin, Hamilton).  They did have top 10 picks in 2008 (Schenn, 5 OA) and 2009 (Kadri, 7 OA) before that.  Also, 2012 Morgan Reilly 5 OA, 2014 William Nylander 8 OA, 2015 Mitch Marner 4 OA and 2016 Auston Matthews 1 OA.

Their draft history clearly is more substantial than the Canucks over the same period despite the Kessel folly.

24 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Didn't the Leafs lose yesterday? 

Yes, which is a win because it improves their draft lottery odds.  Didn't you get the memo?  Draft lottery odds >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> points

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

I'm not too worried about our offense. We can fill the wings quite easily with UFAs. The one position we do need however is a #1C, which we will very likely only be able to get at the draft. I do believe that Horvat can develop into that #1C role, but we should draft for it anyways so that if Horvat does develop into a #1C we can have an excellent one-two punch down the middle with Sutter taking care of shutdown responsibilities on the third line.

What the article fails to point out is both teams need to use a mix of draft picks and getting UFAs/trades. TO is going to have to get D via trade if the "rebuild" is going to be complete in 2-3 years. Likewise, we'll need some forwards via the same route. I like our chances of getting wingers vs. top 4 D or elite goaltending. 

What I find annoying about the Province is they try so hard to install the massive inferiority complex TO has in our fan base. It won't work for a lot of reasons, unless you're a fan that's moved here from Ontario. 

43 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

At least our back end is shaping up nicely. ^_^ We are now flush with Dmen, who are the most valuable position in the league. If someon really needs a Dman at some point maybe we can pull a Taylor Hall type trade off and speed the rebuild. Not Kane though, his value is less then Sbisa at this point. 

Toronto and Edmontons defense always sucks. Until they get this on track, there will be no cups in their futures. 

It would have been a ballsy move, but I still think it was a mistake for EDM not to take Juolevi. They probably could have got Jordan Subban, Gaunce and a 2nd out of us too for moving up 2 picks. They need OJ very badly and didn't need Jesse P when you have McD, Eberle and Hall + free agents 

Since the 05/06 season the Leafs have made 1 playoff appearance. In the same amount of time the canucks have made the post season 7 times. 

I should surely hope the Leafs rebuild is ahead of ours, they have been earning it with pure suck for the last 10 years. 

They are  treading up we're treading down and will stay on the bottom while they will continue to go up and stay in top. Hard to argue that's it's false the talent level on the leafs is ten times what Vancouver has anywhere in its system. A few pieces and that team will make the jump to the next level.

nucks are treading down and until they hit rock bottom which shouldn't be to much longer with benning at the wheel off the Vancouver titanic. 

Hate the leafs and oilers but they have pieces to build around -  franchise players. 

We were one lottery pick away from being cast in the media as the next greatest thing since sliced bread.
We finished 28th last year. We were unlucky and fell to 5th in the lottery. Had we won the lottery, our prospect pool would look completely different to the rest of the world who doesn't pay attention to what we are actually doing.
If we were able to add a Matthews or Laine to our forward group, our future forward core would've consisted of Matthews/Laine, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen. That is not insignificant. Pair that with still evolving Stecher, Tryamkin, Hutton on D, and Markstorm/Demko in net, we would've been on our way.
But we didn't win the lottery. We grabbed a beauty in Juolevi, making our D core even better. We have movable assets on the backend, maybe the most valuable trading assets in the NHL right now.
We are doing it the hard way. But, we are friggin' doing it. 
Toronto got lucky. They tanked and won the lottery. Take that pick away and they still have great prospects in Marner and Nylander, but they are nowhere near being "on pace". They just look nice from the peripheral vision of someone with Toronto glasses on.

Let's not give these journalists more attention.

46 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Yes.  It started (maybe) when they hired Brian Burke back in 2008.  In 2009, Burkie traded for Phil Kessel in return for 2 1st round picks and a 2nd (Seguin, Hamilton).  They did have top 10 picks in 2008 (Schenn, 5 OA) and 2009 (Kadri, 7 OA) before that.  Also, 2012 Morgan Reilly 5 OA, 2014 William Nylander 8 OA, 2015 Mitch Marner 4 OA and 2016 Auston Matthews 1 OA.

Their draft history clearly is more substantial than the Canucks over the same period despite the Kessel folly.

For sure, Gillis did a very poor job drafting. But Toronto also passed up on better quality D - like Lindholm and Leddy. Pretty sure TO would take Leddy over Kadri today.

5 minutes ago, combover said:

Hate the leafs and oilers but they have pieces to build around -  franchise players. 

They did it with tanking and luck. Something we are not depending on.
We are building a much better foundation. Let's play the hypothetical game and say we won 1st or 2nd in the 2016 lottery and snagged Matthews or Laine. Aren't we well on our way too? Toronto still has a lot of work to do around Matthews. They got lucky.

28 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Since the 05/06 season the Leafs have made 1 playoff appearance. In the same amount of time the canucks have made the post season 7 times. 

I should surely hope the Leafs rebuild is ahead of ours, they have been earning it with pure suck for the last 10 years. 

The saddest part of that equation is that we both have the same amount of cups during that time. 

Archived