The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article - Leafs' reno on pace, while Canucks lagging behind

CanadianRugby

25 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Who says it's a rental?

What's so hard to understand about this?

Expiring contract. 

32 yr old 4th line center.

Are the Leafs a contender?

Are the Leafs finished rebuilding?

If you answered yes to either of those, you're deluded.

If you realize the answer to both of them is "no" then you realize that the thing to do when rebuilding is this:

1) Keep the 2nd round pick

2) If you need a 4th line center like Brian Boyle, sign him/one in the offseason.  You're not contending this year - renting veterans is the antithesis of what CDC thinks is genius.

What the Leafs did here was an obvious contradiction to all you folks who pump their 'stockpile pick/proper rebuild' tires endlessly on these boards.

To add insult (no you're not a contender) to injury (first round exit is the definition of 'mediocrity' around here = middle to late round pick) - the Leafs not only are stuck with a late pick in the midst of their rebuild, but they also gave away a valuable 2nd round pick for a 32 year old expiring contract.  To what - hope to get a later pick this year (as delusional as that pipe dream was).  They ironically also gave that pick to Tampa - a team in their conference that could win up hurting the Leafs in the near future.  So much fail.

Stick your head in the sand if you will - but this was a really stupid move on the Leafs part whether or not Boyle re-signs with them. They paid a 2nd for the expiring term.  It's really as simple as that.  Boyle was available for free July 1st.  Textbook definition of a rental.

2nd round picks are everything!  Remember?  So, so important to get and keep every pick you can in a rebuild?!

Funny to watch you guys hypocritically shift the goalposts and so obviously contradict the most basic tenet of your 'proper rebuild'.

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

2nd round picks are everything!  Remember?  So, so important to get and keep every pick you can in a rebuild?!

Funny to watch you guys hypocritically shift the goalposts and so obviously contradict the most basic tenet of your 'proper rebuild'.

If Canucks had done it, it would have been "Greedy owners/Benning trying to get Canucks into the playoffs and/or have a long run when they're not near ready by sacrificing the future... they want that playoff money at any cost."  A mantra oft repeated here.

56 minutes ago, smokes said:

This is the dumbest article I've seen yet, of course the Canucks are lagging behind Toronto in the rebuild. The Leafs have been rebuilding since before the Canucks got to the SCF. 

I have been around for a while, remember watching Lanny McD.  The leafs have never in my time been a legit cup team. Them like the oilers got lucky.  The leafs nor the oilers have the backend to win a cup in the next few years.  And D's do not grow on trees.   

2 hours ago, samurai said:

I have been around for a while, remember watching Lanny McD.  The leafs have never in my time been a legit cup team. Them like the oilers got lucky.  The leafs nor the oilers have the backend to win a cup in the next few years.  And D's do not grow on trees.   

That's why I think this article is retarded. I don't understand why people are comparing apples (Canucks) to fungus (Leafs)

13 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Horse**** officiating in that series (granted it likely didn't effect the likely outcome - Sharks were the better team but they didn't need to be helped by the guys in zebras.

AV also pretty much threw away one game in the series due to odd bench management (but given his history - I'll give him a mulligan for that).

Sure ref and coaching decisions were an issue, but IMO you can never find excuses for a sweep. If you'r swept, you've sucked on many levels. Even when I hear flames fan try to cover up their sweep saying they lost each game by 1 goal, etc. it just sounds weak. They're a long way from contending.

I'd be interested to see what the Hawks do after this year.. they're sweep is probably one of the hardest ones to try to come up with excuses for. Towes and Kane are still 28, compared to Sedins who were 32 in 2013. So much easier to make the case to try to patch up and try again for another 2-3 years. But sooner or later, they'll need to bite the bullet and start the rebuild, and better to do it while their stars still have high values.

1 hour ago, westvandude said:

Sure ref and coaching decisions were an issue, but IMO you can never find excuses for a sweep. If you'r swept, you've sucked on many levels. Even when I hear flames fan try to cover up their sweep saying they lost each game by 1 goal, etc. it just sounds weak. They're a long way from contending.

You've misread the intent of my post.  I did say the Sharks were the better team & said the officiating likely didn't effect the likely outcome of the series.

You can have to deal with **** officiating but still deserve to lose a series (to the better team).  Much like you can hate a trade but not dislike the player acquired in such a trade.

6 hours ago, samurai said:

I'm not sure I'd say Edmonton lacks a blueline

Klefbom Larsson is a pretty outstanding young top 2 imo;

Sekera Russell

Nurse Benning

Gryba

I'd say they could stand to upgrade Russell, but even he is a serviceable guy that skates well, moves the puck, blocks shots - maybe a bit under-rated.  The Reinhart deal was good young assets they should have spent elsewhere though.

For me it's the makeup of their bottom 6 forwards that is problematic - they don't really have much in the way of shutdown forwards and their penalty killing groups have RNH and Kassian among their top four pkers....  But I think the addition of Larsson made a huge difference to their blueline, and Benning has been quite a good third pairing D with Nurse.

I like that Oiler group more than Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Polak, Hunwick Carrick, Marincin.

9 hours ago, samurai said:

If you remember the dude with the stache; then you remember who the owner of the Laffs were.  Harold Ballard.  

Aquaman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ballard.

Ballard tore that team apart (while I smiled and approved all the way :P).

22 hours ago, oldnews said:

What the Leafs did here was an obvious contradiction to all you folks who pump their 'stockpile pick/proper rebuild' tires endlessly on these boards.

22 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

If Canucks had done it, it would have been "Greedy owners/Benning trying to get Canucks into the playoffs and/or have a long run when they're not near ready by sacrificing the future... they want that playoff money at any cost."  A mantra oft repeated here.

Here are the NHL rookie stats.

Capture.JPG.da79270cc27bbb40c8428d56405e8910.JPG

Here are the Canuck stats.

Captufre.JPG.0705ab892afdc81969f5e992f7231d8d.JPG

You two are the biggest clowns on CDC.  2nd round picks are important to teams like Vancouver, because Vancouver is the 2nd worst team in the league.  Draft picks are no longer as important to the Leafs because they have teenagers putting up 40 goal seasons, leading them to the playoffs and putting up a good fight against the Capitals.

If you notice, the Leafs already have stockpiled draft picks.  

Captureaffe.JPG.4caa9e00ffce7a584ad21b88424e6547.JPGCleafsture.JPG.aba273b26e6387d135178d6f3a17d0cf.JPG

They're onto bigger and better things now.  Comparing a tired past their prime Canuck team trying to make the playoffs, to a team led by rookies as if it's the same thing.  Makes you look uninformed or unwilling to admit you were wrong.  

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Here are the NHL rookie stats.

Capture.JPG.da79270cc27bbb40c8428d56405e8910.JPG

Here are the Canuck stats.

Captufre.JPG.0705ab892afdc81969f5e992f7231d8d.JPG

You two are the biggest clowns on CDC.  2nd round picks are important to teams like Vancouver, because Vancouver is the 2nd worst team in the league.  Draft picks are no longer as important to the Leafs because they have teenagers putting up 40 goal seasons, leading them to the playoffs and putting up a good fight against the Capitals.

If you notice, the Leafs already have stockpiled draft picks.  

Captureaffe.JPG.4caa9e00ffce7a584ad21b88424e6547.JPGCleafsture.JPG.aba273b26e6387d135178d6f3a17d0cf.JPG

They're onto bigger and better things now.  Comparing a tired past their prime Canuck team trying to make the playoffs, to a team led by rookies as if it's the same thing.  Makes you look uninformed or unwilling to admit you were wrong.  

Sad clowns aren't wrong, they're the real fans!

#rebuildlikeTO 

3 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

You two are the biggest clowns on CDC. 

Draft picks are no longer as important to the Leafs

They're onto bigger and better things now. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Sad clowns aren't wrong, they're the real fans!

#rebuildlikeTO

Which one of you geniuses called the Leafs the next Blackhawks?

Here dropping juvenile insults, calling someone else a 'clown'.  Ignorant enough, but doesn't really substitute for a point.   You come across as a pair of Leaf homer trollz wadr.

The rebuild is done!  Picks aren't as important to the Leafs. 

That's a SC blueline they've built over there.  Who needz pickz?  Ready for rentals.   You sure schooled us.

On 4/24/2017 at 10:13 PM, oldnews said:

"Moral victory!"

Wasted a 2nd on renting Boyle for 6 games.  Shanabad's asset management.  Should have just went with what they had and spent that pick on a defenseman - as they found out in this series, blueline depth is important.

You're mistaking the regular season Pres trophy team for the 'best team in hockey' (hey, whatever pumps your homer tireZ).   If/when the Caps win an actual Cup - that's when they'll be the best team in hockey.  Until then they are still just a team that underachieves in the playoffs year after year - and are showing signs again this year.  Without Williams being Williams they likely choke once again.

As for the Leafs - there's nothing easier than being expected to be blown out and just having to show up for people to be satisfied with the result.  So, with absolutely no pressure and nothing to lose, they had a pretty good showing.   However, when there are any expectations of them in the future is when they'll actually be tested - it remains to be seen whether they have the character to perform with any real pressure on them.

Shanaplan was and is mediocre.

Draft lottery ballz fell for them, and Babcock turned them into a hockey team - that's the real story.

Why are you attacking shannahan when Lou is the GM? I've never seen so much spin to try and trash an organization. Even with the Leafs great group of rookies, they have a boatload of draftpicks and with the Leafs revamped scouting staff (hired under Shannahan) they'll be picking more gems in the later rounds. Seriously go look at who runs their scouting department. Every decision the leafs have made the last 3 years years has been solid and there have been many moves, signings, trades, hirings/firings, etc. You would have to look hard to find one mistake. The worst you can bring up is Lou trading a pick for Boyle (who may end up returning to the team). You're reaching. I get that you hate the leafs but wow if I were you I would avoid watching any leaf games because they are on their way to greatness. 

As for the leafs/caps series they took the caps to overtime 5 out of 6 games. Every game was close. The rookies were phenomenal. My god you are delusional. I hope people do not read your post and think you know what you're talking about because you and newbiecanucksfan are either clueless or major homers.

On 2017-04-26 at 3:20 PM, Hemsky said:

Why shannahan when Lou is the GM?

"Shanaplan".

Struck the nerve of an over-reacting Leaf homer. 

Wadr you're missing a significant aspect of this 'criticism' = the tongue in cheek references to a "proper rebuild" and "stockpiling picks" - and the endless tire-pumping (hey, you're obviously new around here so perhaps aren't really aware of how overdone that's been on these boards) - vs the irony of renting a veteran 4C at this stage.  Over the heads of your emotive Leafs posse.

I'm aware of what Babcock has done with a talented young group - but I'm also quite aware that there remain holes in their lineup, particularly on their blueline - and they could definitely stand to add more blueline prospects to their system, which should be their focus imo as opposed to spending futures on a bottom six forward rental.

Despite a playoff appearance, and a first round exit - the definition of 'mediocrity' on these boards - they're far from finished, far from a contender, and haven't completed any rebuild.

If any of you deluded Leafs fans had any sense though you'd be looking at the long game and not blowing your load prematurely like you did here.

Btw, this is a Canuck forum - trash talking the Leafs is our birthright.   You're an obvious Toronto homer yourself and the truth struck a nerve - the only thing that inspires you to post here.  I find it ironic how sensitive people like you are about your Leafs - on a Canuck forum.

its sad to see some canuck fans being in such a state of denial. to feel the need to bend reality to make themselves feel better.

the canucks are the most incompetently managed Team in the history of the NHL.   Only perhaps buffalo can give them a good run for their money.  But as crappy a town as buffalo is. they have other major sports options (unlike the canucks, and no CFL is not a major sports league )

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:18 AM, smokes said:

This is the dumbest article I've seen yet, of course the Canucks are lagging behind Toronto in the rebuild. The Leafs have been rebuilding since before the Canucks got to the SCF. 

Smokes, The Laffers have been rebuilding since '67, no? Their nickname "Laffers' is for a reason. The Canucks are no great shakes but have been to the SCF 3X since '67.

Fans have to rachet down the TO presstitutes who cannot turn off their 'yap' dial. That includes pretty much the entire SN crew. Cherry is one of the few honest brokers as he has never tried to cloak his favorite with pseudo analysis.  

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Smokes, The Laffers have been rebuilding since '67, no? Their nickname "Laffers' is for a reason. The Canucks are no great shakes but have been to the SCF 3X since '67.

Fans have to rachet down the TO presstitutes who cannot turn off their 'yap' dial. That includes pretty much the entire SN crew. Cherry is one of the few honest brokers as he has never tried to cloak his favorite with pseudo analysis.  

That's why it utterly amazes me that this article was written by a Province reporter. I can't believe they would write this article without even considering how long the Leafs have been rebuilding in the first place. It's like the media in this city nitpicks to a molecule. It's like Henrik asking Gaunce "How come you don't have as much NHL experience as I do?"

Archived