The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dogs May Possess a Type of Memory Once Considered 'Uniquely Human'

JM_

Neat article on some new research on how self-aware dogs probably are: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/dogs-remember-more-than-we-think-180961219/

It doesn't surprise me one bit as a dog owner, but I've also worked with some clients who have guide dogs. One dog I know of can do some amazing things like open doors, but the really cool thing she can do is judge traffic situations. She has been trained on the meaning of walk lights, etc. but she can also judge when its not safe for her owner even on a green light, and a car is doing something potentially unsafe.  Its pretty cool to see in person. The dog understands her role and that she has the responsibility to make sure everyones safe. 

Dogs can forecast the onset of seizures, they can detect cancer, they can read depression - and moreover, they can/will act on that intelligence.

They're also relatively able to read the intentions of humans / some have remarkable intuition regarding negatively disposed people.

Anyhow, good post S'all - gotta love dogs.

(A lot of irresponsible dog owners though - not so much).

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Dogs can forecast the onset of seizures, they can detect cancer, they can read depression - and moreover, they can/will act on that intelligence.

They're also relatively able to read the intentions of humans / some have remarkable intuition regarding negatively disposed people.

Anyhow, good post S'all - gotta love dogs.

(A lot of irresponsible dog owners though - not so much).

not denying they are smart, but the things you mention are all smell related not smarts related.

Fun fact - dogs know when there owners are coming home based on how much their owners smell has faded

5 minutes ago, butters said:

not denying they are smart, but the things you mention are all smell related not smarts related.

Fun fact - dogs know when there owners are coming home based on how much their owners smell has faded

not true by any stretch of the imagination.

you may reduce them to sense related  - in which case 'intelligence' is a 'sense'.

an oncoming epileptic seizure is not "smell" - it is "hearing" in the broader sense of the word,

reading the ill intent of a human - that is not "smell" - it is perception in a broader sense.

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

not true by any stretch of the imagination.

you may reduce them to sense related  - in which case 'intelligence' is a 'sense'.

an oncoming epileptic seizure is not "smell" - it is "hearing" in the broader sense of the word,

reading the ill intent of a human - that is not "smell" - it is perception in a broader sense.

reading intentions was a miss on my part - didn't see that. Cancer is definitely scent related. 

On my third dog (2nd French Bulldog). She's dumber than a sack of hammers, but is the sweetest dog you'll ever meet. Young (infants) or the elderly, she treats everyone walking in the door as if they are her best friend.

While she never cried before, she does now whenever our newborn is losing it on the change table or when I'm heating up breast milk. Very sweet and caring.

2 hours ago, butters said:

The sensing of a medical issue may be smell related, but there are many stories of dogs then going to find help for people that aren't even their owners. Lets see a cat do that. 

2 hours ago, Monty said:

On my third dog (2nd French Bulldog). She's dumber than a sack of hammers, but is the sweetest dog you'll ever meet. Young (infants) or the elderly, she treats everyone walking in the door as if they are her best friend.

While she never cried before, she does now whenever our newborn is losing it on the change table or when I'm heating up breast milk. Very sweet and caring.

My dog is couple of hammers short of a full sack and is also a little SOB.  Young or elderly, he treats everyone walking through the door like a perpetrator.

Now I'm worried when I have kids.....

On December 5, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Lancaster said:

My dog is couple of hammers short of a full sack and is also a little SOB.  Young or elderly, he treats everyone walking through the door like a perpetrator.

Now I'm worried when I have kids.....

Our beagle did that until we started taking her to meet people outside first before they came in and then we'd all go inside together. After a few months of that she figured it out and is a lot better.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Our beagle did that until we started taking her to meet people outside first before they came in and then we'd all go inside together. After a few months of that she figured it out and is a lot better.

That does help a bit, for the guests to arrive first and then the dog to return back afterwards.  I mean, you can't really "defend" the place if everyone is already inside and making themselves at home, lol.  

Although my dog does "den" the spot in the living room in front of the TV.... just so happens where my little cousins who go to if they want to play the PS or Wii.... my little dog starts giving them the stare and baring his teeth.  Usually just kids... or at least kids that scared him in the past.  He doesn't mind adults entering afterwards.  

Perhaps my dog has PTSD, lol.  

14 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

That does help a bit, for the guests to arrive first and then the dog to return back afterwards.  I mean, you can't really "defend" the place if everyone is already inside and making themselves at home, lol.  

Although my dog does "den" the spot in the living room in front of the TV.... just so happens where my little cousins who go to if they want to play the PS or Wii.... my little dog starts giving them the stare and baring his teeth.  Usually just kids... or at least kids that scared him in the past.  He doesn't mind adults entering afterwards.  

Perhaps my dog has PTSD, lol.  

http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/valium-for-dogs/

Archived