The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Gillis and Gilman in talks with NY Islanders

Say what you want but MG was the greatest GM in franchise history. The things he was able to accomplish were amazing and it led to the best stretch of Canucks hockey ever.

...I've been wondering for a couple years now why no one else has given him a shot seeing he has an incredible track record - the way he was able to turn Vancouver around. Would love to see both Gillis and Gilman back in the league - both are management wizards.

11 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Say what you want but MG was the greatest GM in franchise history. The things he was able to accomplish were amazing and it led to the best stretch of Canucks hockey ever.

...I've been wondering for a couple years now why no one else has given him a shot seeing he has an incredible track record - the way he was able to turn Vancouver around. Would love to see both Gillis and Gilman back in the league - both are management wizards.

haha

Pat Quinn says hi

and over his shoulder Brian Burke is also waving

Gillis was certainly decent and did a good job with what he inherited - he managed a team rich in talent

but you are ignoring his biggest flaw and that is the poor shape the organization was in when he left

he is not the best gm here and likely is not in the top 3

edit: and the fact that few or no teams expressed much interest up till now should also give you a clue about what other hockey people think/thought of him

12 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Pat Quinn was a much better evaluator of talent, same with Benning.  He inherited the Sedins in their prime along with Kesler.  I never once complained about Gillis, but IMO JB is a much better team builder.

@DarrenDreger worked out great for Van single worse GM in history can't make a trade and signs everyone to no trade Van still can't recover

But fails to mention his idiot cousin dave nonis In the tweet,  I'm really starting to hate tsn , they deserve to NOT have anything more than local maple leaf coverage.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 interesting that 1hr later dreger deletes the tweet  stay classy tsn !

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I see the Islanders in a similar situation as the Canucks when he took them over. He is a hell of a lot better than Garth Snow. 

I was thinking the same thing.  The Islanders are on the verge of being a contending team and just need a few pieces to push them over the top.  This is what Gillis does best.

23 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

I could be wrong but I think he's getting paid close to his full contract and that would be void if he accepted another job. Or at least he'd get less. 

So why not continue to live in BC and get paid top dollar? Last I heard he was teaching at UVic? 

He's without a doubt the greatest GM in franchise history... that being said, I've only been around since 2001ish so no disrespect to Pat Quinn who I hear did an incredible job as well. 

12 minutes ago, chon derry said:

@DarrenDreger worked out great for Van single worse GM in history can't make a trade and signs everyone to no trade Van still can't recover

But fails to mention his idiot cousin dave nonis In the tweet,  I'm really starting to hate tsn , they deserve to NOT have anything more than local maple leaf coverage.

Wait... did Dregs just call MG the single worse GM in history? 

He should suck on the back to back president trophies. 

28 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

tend to agree with most here and on top of that they would be entering the organization as it is well before this early season slow start trending to be a top team sooner than later. Much like the Canucks when they took control.

30 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:
Canucks wouldn't get any compensation if the Isles did hire them right?

I guess it depends on whether you consider not having to pay Gillis anymore as compensation.  I believe they still owe him $2M per year for this season and one more.

Archived