Baertschi – _____ – _____

Granlund – Gaudette – Lockwood

Virtanen - Gaunce - _____

Juolevi – Tryamkin

Hutton – Stecher

Brisebois – Gudbrandson

Demko

Markstrom

Man, Bowie has exceeded all my expectations and has become such a driving force for us, here is how I feel our updated potential future line up could be.

A lucky draft lottery, a couple of good trades, a few years of development and we could be golden.

I still think we need to draft an offensive centre (Hischier :P) and trade a defenceman for a top 6 winger.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple question, what pieces are we actually missing to complete the rebuild? Are we closer or further than we actually think we are?

Canucks current prospect depth

Now I made this chart of player potential based on an NHL gaming kind of format. Top line being high chances/green star, middle line being medium chances/yellow star, and last line being low chances/red star.

-----------------------------------

Forwards

Elite

-  - Boeser

- Horvat - 

-  - 

Top 6

Dahlen -  - Goldobin

Baertschi - Gaudette - Lockwood

Virtanen - Zhukenov - 

Bottom 6

-   -

Granlund -  - 

- Gaunce - Jasek

-          -

- Cassels -

Stewart - Zalewski - Grenier

Defence

Top Pairing

Juolevi - 

- Stecher

-

Top 4

Hutton - 

Tryamkin- 

Brisebois - Gudbranson

Top 6

- Subban

Pedan - Neill

Olsen - 

Goalies

Number 1

Demko

Markstrom

Backup

Garteig

Potential 5 year Lineup

_____ - _____ - Boeser

Baertschi – Horvat – Lockwood

Virtanen – Gaudette – _____

_____ - Gaunce - _____

Juolevi – Stecher

Hutton – Gudbranson

Brisebois – Tryamkin

Demko

Gartieg

Now I'm not saying this is how prospects will exactly turn out and how the line up will look in 5 years, but just starting up a discussion as to where we are and what we can do to get to where we want to be.

Personally, the first thing I would do is find a deal for a #1 young Centre around Tanev. For example, Tanev + 2nd + for someone like Reinhart. I don't mind overpaying to get a position of need, since I feel as though the rest of our team is taken care of so we do not need to be too hard on asset management.

Next, I'd hope we end up in the top 5 of the draft and draft a top winger, someone such as Casey Mittelstadt maybe.

Mittelstadt - Reinhart - Boeser

Baertschi – Horvat – Lockwood

Virtanen – Gaudette – _____

_____ - Gaunce - _____

Juolevi – Stecher

Hutton – Gudbranson

Brisebois – Tryamkin

Demko

Gartieg

Now fill in those empty spots with players who play well at camp or via trades/free agents and that's not a bad potential lineup if you ask me.

What's all your thoughts? Are we really that far?

I think what we have is solid two way depth on every front. Not gamebreakers, but players who will keep us in every game.

What we need are gamebreaking, consistent elite talents to top up our defense and forward units.

At this point in time both Horvat and Boeser are living on a prayer in that regard. We shouldn't be expecting them to be much more than solid second liners for us if we want to contend.

Canucks need scoring, and badly. Realistically they have two 2nd lines, a 3rd & a 4th. Top point producer, H. Sedin, sits at 72 on the leader board. That ain't gonna cut it. As exciting and promising Bo Horvat is for the team, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if he ever breaks 65 points in a season.

A top line. Period. That is the massive piece missing from the puzzle.

I don't know who they are planning to draft but whoever it is needs to have skill. None of our prospects possess elite level skill, most are being groomed to be two way forwards. There is a triggerman in Boeser but almost nothing on skill. A Marner, Nylander type player.

There's a LOT of overhyping in the OP's post. That should give you a clue of just how far away we are from fully rebuilding.

Coach is the least of our problems, but alas, in a Trump world where people can come to conclusions without backing them up, I'm not exactly surprised to see him on the pitchfork again without any real basis. 

A laine or Matthews would help.... Our defence is young and probably only going to get better. If this season continues to go down hill I say we trade elder at the deadline for a high pick or too and revamp our forward prospect pool. He's one of our best dman but our defensive core can certainly survive without him moving forward. At 31 a contending team is likely to give a modest return 

Frankly, I think Horvat is more likely to end up on the 1st line than Boeser at this point. Boeser has shown a great game at the college level, and I certainly hope he pans out and becomes our star triggerman, but he has yet to play a game in the NHL. Regardless of this, we are short one star forward, another good/star forward, and ideally a Norris caliber defenseman if we want to compete for the cup. All three are tricky pieces, but I'm guessing we'll be basement dwellers for a couple years here, so I think we have a decent shot.

This team literally needs a franchise goalie, a top D pairing and atleast 2 lines of forwards. 

6 hours ago, Green⌃Arrow said:

A good coach. ;) 

What coach is going to succeed in the NHL with literally 2 AHL lines and 1 AHL d pairing?  If Babcock is supposedly the best coach in the NHL how come he finished last with an equally crappy team last year?  Coaching is not the problem unless you are on tanknation, then I would say coaching is a problem.  The onus falls on management if they're are truly running the show with total autonomy.  They are failing to ice a NHL calibre lineup day in and day out. 

Archived