The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL Entry Draft 2018] Rasmus Dahlin

Toews

Dahlin is 16 year old defenseman from Sweden who currently plays for Frolunda in the Swedish top flight. His play in the SHL this year has been generating quite a bit of buzz and he was also included on Sweden's preliminary roster for the WJC. I don't have to tell anyone how rare it is for a 16 year old let alone one that is a defenseman to make the team. Its also not like the competition was particularly poor either as Timothy Liljegren was left out (to be fair he also has mono). Assuming he doesn't get cut, watch out for Rasmus Dahlin in this year's WJC. Here is a video of Dahlin with Frolunda this year...

That hit around the 1min mark is 16 year old absolutely leveling a grown man. His skating, physicality, stick handling are all superb. Its hard to believe that this kid is a defenseman with those hands. I have been following prospects for a long time now and I believe this kid just has the "it" factor. I am actually taking the time now to tune into Frolunda games. I will update this thread with my observations once I have a few more viewings of him.

On 2016-12-08 at 7:35 AM, Toews said:

Dahlin is 16 year old defenseman from Sweden who currently plays for Frolunda in the Swedish top flight. His play in the SHL this year has been generating quite a bit of buzz and he was also included on Sweden's preliminary roster for the WJC. I don't have to tell anyone how rare it is for a 16 year old let alone one that is a defenseman to make the team. Its also not like the competition was particularly poor either as Timothy Liljegren was left out (to be fair he also has mono). Assuming he doesn't get cut, watch out for Rasmus Dahlin in this year's WJC. Here is a video of Dahlin with Frolunda this year...

That hit around the 1min mark is 16 year old absolutely leveling a grown man. His skating, physicality, stick handling are all superb. Its hard to believe that this kid is a defenseman with those hands. I have been following prospects for a long time now and I believe this kid just has the "it" factor. I am actually taking the time now to tune into Frolunda games. I will update this thread with my observations once I have a few more viewings of him.

2018 draft?

On 12/9/2016 at 0:41 AM, Sean Monahan said:

I remember one of the Swedish posters mentioning him about a month or two back. Very intriguing to say the least. Any idea about a player comp?

I said I would update this thread when I got a few more viewings of him. So far I have been extremely impressed by his play to say the least. He is very good and his play and the maturity of his game at such a young age bodes well for his future. He certainly won't be the next Rundblad imo. So far he has been steadily climbing up Frolunda's depth chart but he still doesn't get many opportunities outside of 5 on 5. Frolunda is top of the table and has a fairly dominant PP so he will have to settle for minutes 5 on 5. By the way former Canuck Henrik Tommernes is racking up points as a fixture on Frolunda's top PP unit, a decent player but don't see the Canucks regretting letting him go.

Getting back to Dahlin I hear that he gets more ice time at the J20 level where he has looked dominant playing against players closer to his age. Unfortunately I have yet to find streams for those games so have to rely on the Swedes on HF to provide updates. As far as a comparable NHL players its easy to throw Karlsson into the mix as Dahlin has elite talent offensively but to me they are different players. Where Dahlin lacks is the explosiveness in his skating compared to Karlsson whose first step is elite. I would say Dahlin is above average but not quite as good as Karlsson. He does have elite edge work and lateral speed which lets him weave in and out of traffic with ease. Like I mentioned in the OP, not enough can be said about his hands and his ability to stickhandle. Its hard to believe that he is even a defenseman with those hands most kids end up as forwards. With the tools that he possesses he absolutely has the talent to be an elite defenseman in the NHL and he will definitely be in the mix for 1st overall. Before the season started I would have said Andrei Svechnikov is the favorite for 1st overall but Dahlin's play this year has put him on the same level. 2018 is shaping up to be a really good draft.

Here is Dahlin's goal in the pre-tournament game against Slovakia.

The way he can control a game and what happens when he's on the ice is crazy. He doesn't have the same skating or speed as Karlsson (few are even close), but his lateral movement and agility are top notch. The way he can pick apart every player one-on-one in the neutral zone and exploit defensive holes is amazing. Any team that gets him will be extremely happy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The way he weaves through the neutral zone with the puck is absolutely amazing. He's not moving at an incredible speed, he just recognizes the way his opponent's weight shifts and exploits it with a quick cut. He has the skill and the patience to wait for holes to open up in the defenseman and put it to an area where he can make a play. He can easily beat the winger who moves up to cover him in the offensive zone with some lateral movements and great puck control. There are a couple of times where he beats the winger and then moves straight down the slot for a shot. The play starts with all the defenders ahead of him and in about 2-3 seconds they are all behind him or tied up. It's pretty insane. 

The way he moves through people reminds me of Datsyuk. They both don't use blazing speed or even extremely quick hands, they just are smart in where they place the puck and how they maneuver themselves around defenders. He could likely be for defenseman what Datsyuk was for forwards. That is an extremely valuable player. 

Archived