The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver - Edmonton - Tanev

37 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

No.

Not fair valuation on the Vancouver side

In reflection you might be correct, they did move the #1 overall pick for Larsson and Tanev's stats are much better.

As far as not trading within the division, that would be more along the lines of offense coming back to haunt you, this deal would be more risky for Edmonton in that area. 

46 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd rather trade our first in 2017, Columbus' 2nd, and Edler for Laine. 

I doubt Winnipeg would though. 

Hmm... I watch Laine every night and he is honestly the most exciting player I have ever watched on a consistent basis. That's saying a lot for an 18 year old, considering I watched the Canucks in their prime and crosby/Ovi etc lately.

His shot is insane. It's not even explainable. It's better than Ovi. His sauces are so sweet. Everytime he has the puck I move to the edge of my seat. Literally any shot he takes has a high chance of going in.

There is nothing in the world that the Jets would take to trade away Laine. 

1 hour ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Tanev to Edmonton? And watch them succeed after adding a missing piece from us?

Never. And that's ignoring the obvious part where Edmonton says no to the proposed deal.

The return would have to be Draisatl.  They are on a path to succeed anyway, so why not improve our team?

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The return would have to be Draisatl.  They are on a path to succeed anyway, so why not improve our team?

I would like that too, he might have been available early last year, there were some rumblings, but he has solidified his spot now with his improved play.

I suggest Puljujarvi because he is buried in the line up, his upside could be more than Draisatl's, definitely top line material.

Edmonton fans would likely be mixed about the deal but would not be burning an effigy of management and they could think back to Yakapov. 

A win/win trade., the Oil get better defensively immediately and the Nucks get a top level prospect for the fans to watch.

Also if rumour is true, the Oilers don't mind the concept of trading within the division, the Schnieder rumour.

One other thing, the Nucks are the team I most like to watch, but the Oilers will be much more entertaining over the next 5 or 6 years unless the Nucks get young prospects like Puljujarvi

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

In reflection you might be correct, they did move the #1 overall pick for Larsson and Tanev's stats are much better.

As far as not trading within the division, that would be more along the lines of offense coming back to haunt you, this deal would be more risky for Edmonton in that area. 

Don't compare Hall and Pulijuarivi atm.

Very rarely do you move your first round pick from the year before in the ensuing year. If a trade like this would happen, it would have been at the draft.

And I disagree on valuation, both in the Larsson trade and in this one

25 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Don't compare Hall and Pulijuarivi atm.

Very rarely do you move your first round pick from the year before in the ensuing year. If a trade like this would happen, it would have been at the draft.

And I disagree on valuation, both in the Larsson trade and in this one

At the draft the Nucks could have swapped picks with Columbus for Columbus's 2nd back.

And I agree it is rare to move a pick but Edmonton has lots of skilled forwards and they will hit cap hell eventually but they have that nice shiny new arena to fill and fans that have supported them for decades to reward.

The Oil will not want to just make the playoffs and go one and done but make a real push so they will need playoff experience and another very sound defence man that won't cost them an arm and a leg, at 26 and another 4 years on his very reasonable contract Tanev might not be the piece that puts them over the top, but he sure could be a pillar pushing the ladder to the next rung.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

At the draft the Nucks could have swapped picks with Columbus for Columbus's 2nd back.

And I agree it is rare to move a pick but Edmonton has lots of skilled forwards and they will hit cap hell eventually but they have that nice shiny new arena to fill and fans that have supported them for decades to reward.

The Oil will want not to just make the playoffs and go one and done but make a real push so they will need playoff experience and another very sound defence man that won't cost them an arm and a leg, at 26 and another 4 years on his very reasonable contract Tanev might not be the piece that puts them over the top, but he sure could be a pillar pushing the ladder to the next rung.

If we are down and out at the deadline, and they are fighting for a spot, maybe something along the lines of this goes down. Aside from that, i wouldnt get your hopes up

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

If we are down and out at the deadline, and they are fighting for a spot, maybe something along the lines of this goes down. Aside from that, i wouldnt get your hopes up

While I won't totally consider the Nucks toast just yet, the odds on them suddenly becoming better than 14 other teams is very, very slim.

If the estimate of 92 points gives them the hope of a sniff at a playoff spot then they have to do better than getting 1.1 points for every game left and have other teams decline.

That is why all the hoopla about American thanks giving and 80% of the teams in the playoffs make it, myself I like to December 1rst or so, 90% then. This estimate has been accurate for 2 decades now so the Nucks should be thinking about next year now, that doesn't mean doing trading today, but getting trades set up, discussed, prepared. It means the management group could be doing in depth, multiple team scenarios, something like Chicago, Arizona and a few other teams are doing.

Dont think Edmonton goes for this despite the need on D and the fact PJ has been scratched a few times the value for them is just not there...

And once again for the 1000th time:

-The Hall trade did not set any bar or precedent.

-Larsson is younger and better than Tanev

-Tanev's value is far far more to Vancouver than anything they would get back in a trade. 

As for Laine: Not counting team needs/salary cap/ roster size (pretty much everything out the window), you could offer Winnipeg any combo of players/prospects the canucks have (Horvat, OJ, Boeser, Demko etc etc) they still wouldnt trade Laine.

Tanev to Edmonton makes too much sense.  McDavid will make that team amazing regardless of Tanev, but he is something they need.  We are ways from being a elite team, and we need some future top line forwards which the oilers have plenty of.  Leon, PJ, Nugent Hopkins...I would take any of those three in a deal for Tanev.  

Archived