The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Season tickets + TV viewership down considerably...due to no real direction from management?

TheRussianRocket.

2 hours ago, brownky said:

Excitement comes from going to the game and being...well... excited. The Sedin game while effective is not usually exciting. Especially recently, when the most excitement comes as they give up the puck to a two on one with a lazy backcheck.

Nailed it on this one. 
We've been watching the same style Canucks for 16 years. Not a bash to the Sedin's, they're incredible hockey players, but they aren't exciting to watch. 
Fans love fast-paced hockey, with quick players. The Sedin's aren't that, they like passing it around till there is an opening, which had it's thrill for awhile, but that thrill is gone. Kesler was such a massive hit, because he did it all, he was fast, he could dangle, and he could throw big hits. That's what fans loved to see. Sedin's don't do any of that. 
Bo's been a bright spot, and we love him for the same reason's we loved Kes. 

I don't understand this LACK of DIRECTION BS. I think it's more of media making a story outa Nothing.

Media people get a real job....it's really simple and not that hard to understand Canucks are rebuilding with vets players with no trade clauses. End of Story !!!

Media is trying to sell more.

Canuck fans.....Think for yourselves. 

Would Canucks like to of drafted higher in lottery draft........Yes

Would Canucks like to have more draft picks.......Yes

Canucks trying to draft players to improve team......Yes

Canucks trying to improve team through trades......Yes

would the Canucks like to win the Stanley Cup.......yes

Does media Embellish common sense, with a fake we're smarter then you BS, because we're the media.......Yes

i really think Canucks are trying hard to lose, so they can relocate....it's true I wrote it on the internet...so it's 100% fact.....now have the video guys make the Video and post it on TSN....great that gets us through the weekend.........Monday make video for TSN saying Canucks are look for a #1 center...great that gets us til Tuesday....etc.

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Bandwagon market. TV, and attendance would be down even if they publically said they are rebuilding/tanking. 

Im happy with what Benning/Linden have done so far. Maybe they could have done a few things here or there, but they have been super active in many other ways that make up for it. Seems no media out there recognizes those moves or is willing to even bring them up. And in my opinion, that's because everyone wants to see the Canucks suck. If anything, I'd say Canucks have Been hurt from awful PR, in the on ice product. But I expected that from a rookie GM/President. 

I'd be a season ticket holder. If I lived in Vancouver. 

I'm a ticket holder, even though I don't live in Vancouver anymore.

3 hours ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

Honestly and this might get a lot of hate, but might the high immigration numbers to Vancouver from places where they don't play hockey have something to do with it? 

honestly? Blame it on the immigrants again. Take that discrimination and shove it up your butt. You are saying the non immigrants here somehow just stopped going to hockey game or support their own team because of immigrants from non hockey countries? Like there were no immigrants 20-30 yrs ago? Many of them embraced hockey once they moved here.

I'm an immigrant and have been supporting the team since 2001, buying season tickets every year, even though 7 of last 10 yrs I don't live there anymore.   My entire family watches the games, and support team. Yes, they are immigrants too. So are many friends of mine.

yeah, immigrants is responsible for your miserable life too, global warming, and your cat feeling unease. You sound like Trump.

I don't really see myself as a bandwagon fan even though on paper I would be considered one. watching a hockey game is like watching a murder mystery, it's all about the ending. knowing the outcome even before the start just ruins it and with the canucks not having the most exciting style it just doesn't make sense to waste 3 hours. I always keep up to date on my news and scores, I am always on cdc every day and support management. It's very rare I get to see a live game due to my schedule and the high prices, i also live outside vancouver which makes it even more expensive. I still watch games when I can and watch the highlights. I would bet there is a lot of fans like me that contributes to the overall down turn.

4 hours ago, Green Building said:

That's your opinion, and I find it a little suspect. This team is so obviously smack dab in the middle of rebuild. Look at the roster for Christ's sake. Very very few people remain from 4-5 years ago. Is it a full blown kick everybody out rebuild? Obviously not, but to suggest that empty seats would be a little more full were JB and TL to come out and say "we suck and we're shooting to miss the playoffs" is more than a little presumptive. 

I accept where we're at now because I can see the direction we're headed. It's never an easy road no matter how it's traveled, and right now it's awkward as $&!# as there is some obvious catering to certain franchise elements, but that doesn't mean we haven't amassed some great pieces since JB took over, I mean our prospect pool actually has some  prospects in it for once. 

Would I have liked JB to have drafted a few more times over the past couple seasons? You bet. You play the hand you're dealt though, and JB was dealt an Aquilini with a couple of Sedins and he and TL are trying to make the most of all of it.  

Agreed, it's a fickle market overall, and plenty big enough to support the team. Ticket prices are fairly high though, and I'm not surprised that individuals aren't shelling out bucks for irregular entertainment. Personally, I want to see fast competitive hockey, and to be honest winning or losing doesn't matter if they games are close, and exciting (aside from blowout wins of course). 

I don't see this team in the middle of a rebuild, just the start of a confusing one.

the market is having a crisis of confidence in the product, and it's due entirely to the message and not the actions. 

if linden and benning had come in and said "we're stripping this thing down to the studs and rebuilding from the ground up" and then proceeded to make all of the exact same moves that they have, the hysterical media in this city (which is the sole influence of what the national media reports on in regards to this team) would be on board, and, in turn, so would be the mindless throngs of vancouverites who are incapable of drawing their own conclusions and need to have everything spelled out for them.

if you can compare the roster in 2013-14 to the one in 2016-17 and conclude that this team ISN'T in the middle of a major rebuild, there's something wrong with you. 

6 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

All it proves is that Vancouver is a bandwagon city...and that peeps are not going to pay elite team prices to see a very mediocre hockey team...Its not rocket science...It does not matter who the management is right now,...Hockey teams are cyclical,and after a good long run,we were overdue for this downturn .

I do agree though,that the messages have been 'mixed',and the management are not doing themselves any favours by keeping this up...

No $&!#.

so not wasting your money makes you a bandwagon fan or smart?

derp statement.

6 hours ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

Honestly and this might get a lot of hate, but might the high immigration numbers to Vancouver from places where they don't play hockey have something to do with it? 

That is a realistic statement.  It takes some time to connect to a sport and a team that one may not have been exposed to in their mother country.

All it proves is that Vancouver is a bandwagon city...and that peeps are not going to pay elite team prices to see a very mediocre hockey team...Its not rocket science...It does not matter who the management is right now,...Hockey teams are cyclical,and after a good long run,we were overdue for this downturn .

I do agree though,that the messages have been 'mixed',and the management are not doing themselves any favours by keeping this up...

I don't think that has much to do with it...The Canucks have a huge established fanbase...A lot of immigrants are big Canuck fans..

:blink:

6 hours ago, Jam126 said:

Lack of what directions?

Youngest D-core in the league.

Slowly putting young pieces in place to replace the previous core.

It's not rocket science, takes time and for some reason this fanbase has a huge problem with that.

True.

i like JB's honesty and candid answers but when it comes to questions involving vet trades I think he should dodge answers.  

For a lot of fans in any city and any sport it's all about the win. Entertainment might be the side product but winning is pretty much everything. Hard to smack talk  when you continually lose unless your a leaf or oiler fan but looks how thing have picked up in the cities that win the lottery and get McDavid or Mathews. Toronto might be leaf centric all the time but if they start actually winning?  They will have twice as much craziness. Look at the Jays. Same deal. No different here. The actual fans that just plain enjoy good hockey, win or lose are really a fairly small part of a teams fanbase compared to the euphoria of winning a cup or at least being real close to winning.

7 hours ago, brownky said:

And that's on ownership/management.

Excitement comes from going to the game and being...well... excited. The Sedin game while effective is not usually exciting. Especially recently, when the most excitement comes as they give up the puck to a two on one with a lazy backcheck.

But that belies the bigger problem... when the team was successful, the 'fans' were completely priced out of the games. People with kids? Forget about it. When a family of four could have a 'drive vacation' down the Oregon coast for the price of attending one hockey game live... you have a problem. It was priced for businesses and suits. Suits who were busy wining and dining clients, rather than being fans; Canucks were hot, it was a good place to be seen. Now they suck, so the suits are elsewhere. Probably Whitecaps games. Meanwhile the family that drove to the edge of California instead is now doing something else, having never had any real attachment to the team. So they aren't watching, they aren't going, because why would they? The product on the ice effectively sucks, and there's no real drive to watch or even care.

So of course everything is down. The bandwagon will empty; it's not the market's fault, it's the marketer's fault. The Canucks brand is $&!#ty... anyone who has been to The Morgue^tm where they play knows the atmosphere is awful.

And that's on ownership. Maybe the profits need to take a real hit for real long-term success. Lower the prices, get people filling the place win or lose. Get *fans* coming. Fans stick with a team. Suits stick with whatever is hot. The suits pay more when you're hot, but they pay nothing when you're not.

We're not, and probably will be for some time.

Wow this was very well put. nice job

7 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

The fanbase would gladly accept a rebuild if management admitted to it. Thing is hey haven't. 

...and how do you make a team a winner? By starting all over again. That's what the team has neglected to do for the better part of 4 years now and it's just getting uglier and uglier.

You can't patch up a sinking ship.

The vocal fanbase would, but something board members dont realize is that the vocal fanbase is a minority compared to the casual fans by a land slide,

I am a season ticket holder and this year has been a disaster. As far as reselling tickets goes, prices have been lower than ever before and demand lower than ever before. I can't imagine how much revenue is being lost by the Canucks. I can't even fathom it. Forget ticket sales, what about merchandise sales? That's where the real money comes in. I know ownership is diversified in many things so they can  hopefully weather the storm, but losing money isn't fun. Like it or not, ownership HAS invested heavily in this team. They have done incredible upgrades to Rogers Arena, introduced tons of new food and entertainment and have always spent to the cap. Seeing attendance so low and merchandise sales so low makes me sad because I would hate for ownership to give up, sell the team and it end up with someone who doesn't give a crap.

what people fail to recognize is that there's a difference between being a fan (short for "fanatic") and merely being a consumer of entertainment.

if you feel like you're owed wins and/or "exciting hockey" in return for your time and money, you're a consumer of entertainment (commonly referred to around here as a bandwagon fan).

being a fanatic means you do it for the love of the team and the game. you support them in whatever way you can through the rough times so that you can get greater enjoyment out of the good times. it's a two way street. the entertainment value for fanatics is inherent to the team and the game, whether they play like the '84 oilers or the '95 devils, whether they win like the 2011 canucks or lose like the 2016 canucks. they are, effectively, part of the team. they play their supporting role as if it's their job, a job that they love.

Perhaps a ticket price scale could be implemented based on teams position in the standings. 1st place could charge the most, last place charge the least. So we are in 27th place our ticket prices should be more similar to Arizona. Ha, wouldn't that be nice.

1 minute ago, Oldmanpower said:

Perhaps a ticket price scale could be implemented based on teams position in the standings. 1st place could charge the most, last place charge the least. So we are in 27th place our ticket prices should be more similar to Arizona. Ha, wouldn't that be nice.

That already exists. Except it goes the opposite way.

Toronto - 30th place = Most expensive tickets

Edmonton - 29th place = 2nd most expensive tickets

Vancouver - 28th place = 3rd most expensive tickets

See how it works? So if Toronto ever finishes 1st overall then their tickets should be the cheapest in the league. That's why Toronto always finishes 30th. $$$$

Archived