The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article alleging Jim Benning fudged analytics?

Type R

Has anyone else seen this?

Hockeyfeed Article

I'm not good at linking, but the summary basically is stating that Benning asked an analytics company to fudge the numbers on Granlund and Prust to convince the rest of management that the trade for them would help the team.  While I do feel Prust ended up being a bust (i feel that was injury related), I do think Granlund is finding his stride and he's become a competent 3rd liner who has a nose for chances.

I haven't seen anyone else post this, just curious on everyones thoughts.

10 minutes ago, Type R said:

Has anyone else seen this?

Hockeyfeed Article

I'm not good at linking, but the summary basically is stating that Benning asked an analytics company to fudge the numbers on Granlund and Prust to convince the rest of management that the trade for them would help the team.  While I do feel Prust ended up being a bust (i feel that was injury related), I do think Granlund is finding his stride and he's become a competent 3rd liner who has a nose for chances.

I haven't seen anyone else post this, just curious on everyones thoughts.

I think a research assistant from Laval has as much chance of knowing Benning's actual thoughts and actions as @LaBamba

Why would Benning intentionally trade for players that weren't great, and try and wrap an outside analytics company into the fraud? How would this help him in any way?? Also, didn't Jim allege he knew very little about Granlund and went for him mostly off of Weisbrod's recommendation? Why bother fudging the numbers when you admit publicly you don't know anything about the guy.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Looks like 'pay-to-play' for contributions to Jimbo's foundation. Putin seems to be studying our GM's every move.

Wait... it all makes so much sense now.... Benning gets a manufactured stats report from the future Coyotes GM to fake out Bergevin about Kassians issues.... and the Granlund deal was just a cover to make Montreal think Jim was nuts.... and then Bergevin gets revenge with a $50,000 fine and doesn't trade us PK, lessening the competition for the Coyotes. Why didn't we all see this before???

That Chayka is a fracking genius. 

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

The funniest part of all this is Twitter source wannabes like Taj tweeting this stuff out in an attempt to break news.

Hope he reads this so I can tell him he's full of it.

Who is Taj anyway? Just some kid that is on TSN1040 and Twitter all day?

Archived