The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tryamkin a 265 pound cure for the powerplay?

iceman64

Being Listed at 265 pounds (up or down probably by a few) wouldn't it be worth a try to put Tryamkin as winger and then straight to the front of the net in offensive zone starts? since how many guys in this league are big enough to move him and then sedins sedinery for one timer screen shots from each other or point shots because how can a goalie stop something he can't see. Either him or Gud perhaps?  Gud's a big boy... 

Chicago pulled that against us with Buff and Lou it worked, Buff just stood there and no one on the team was big enough to move him... 

Thoughts?  I mean picture trying to move someone that big out of the crease area who plays for screen without drawing another penalty resulting in a 5 on 3...

this is a great idea, was brought up to willy in the preseason and he shot it down because he did not think tryamkin had the hands to make effective tips in front of the net, however he played net front on PP in KHL. This is too much outside the box thinking for WD, the guy can't manage minutes, matches and who should be on when.

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

this is a great idea, was brought up to willy in the preseason and he shot it down because he did not think tryamkin had the hands to make effective tips in front of the net, however he played net front on PP in KHL. This is too much outside the box thinking for WD, the guy can't manage minutes, matches and who should be on when.

Willie is not qualified to answer questions about the powerplay.

If he knew what an effective powerplay was we wouldn't keep seeing zero shots on them time and time again.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How about we put anyone in front of the net for a change?

As it stands right now nobody is going to the net to create a screen because the team never shoots it anyways.

Again. It becomes more and more obvious that you have never played a high level of hockey. Which is fine, it doesn't make you any less of a fan but it does make you oblivious to certain things like this for example. Since about pee-wee you are instructed, taught or forced to go to the net at the forward position. When you get a little older they start to teach structure and different ways to create things. 

We don't get in front of the net because we can't spread open the box in front of the net. I'm going to give you some homework. Think of some different ways you can create lanes and room in front of the net. I'll give you a hint. It's not skating through the other team. Also, our net presence drastically improves when Stecher is on the ice. Weird eh? Think about  it and get back to me. I have a golden star with your name in it. 

I'm a fan of having a righty in the left side point.

sedins set up on the right side so much that if the puck is exiting the zone on the right boards more than he left side.

if we have stecher on the right then have another righty that can just blast on timers with some accuracy then it'd be much more of a potent power play imo.

25 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Again. It becomes more and more obvious that you have never played a high level of hockey. Which is fine, it doesn't make you any less of a fan but it does make you oblivious to certain things like this for example. Since about pee-wee you are instructed, taught or forced to go to the net at the forward position. When you get a little older they start to teach structure and different ways to create things. 

We don't get in front of the net because we can't spread open the box in front of the net. I'm going to give you some homework. Think of some different ways you can create lanes and room in front of the net. I'll give you a hint. It's not skating through the other team. Also, our net presence drastically improves when Stecher is on the ice. Weird eh? Think about  it and get back to me. I have a golden star with your name in it. 

You don' go in front of the net because you can't spread out the box? What a bunch of nonsense. You go to the net to draw defenders to the net and create traffic. Hockey 101 bud. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Nice try at condescension, but unfortunately your history of posting show you have very little insight or personal experience with hockey. Maybe stick to the off-topic forum? ;)

23 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

If you were playing 'high level' hockey you wouldn't be on a rig in 'berta. We had a guy in beer league who said crap like "I'm used to playing higher level hockey than this". His nickname (derogatorily) became "High Level".

Post in hand:

Note, traffic in front. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXH5GER3ivs

Note, traffic in the low slot tying up the defender and "opening the lanes" on both goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdR-lNMTIVw

Lets get away from Ovi (Washington DOES have a killer powerplay, but lets go to another one)

Niskanen in Pittsburgh (also a good powerplay)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3jSMJTG2g

^ Traffic in front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlB6VSjKHQ

Another one. Kunitz with the little pick opening the space from... you guessed it, in front of the goalie.

Oh, here's a new spot to stand. In front of the goalie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyTJRHAqHM

I dunno High Level, seems to have a decent effect even when the guy never touches the puck whatsoever. I'm not even cherrypicking this, I'm literally typing X player PP goal into Youtube.

Biggest difference they could possibly make is to take the Sedins off of the 1st unit.

Its not the power pass.

I think the league has them figured out............

Watch teams PKing us.  They never chase, never break the box.  They wait for the pass from the side board to the point or Daniel.  And that's aboot it.

This is the time to get the new guys into new roles.  PP#1 being one of them.

56 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

If that's what Willie thinks then he missed the point of putting Tryamkin in front of the net. Having a massive screen is just as effective as having someone deflect the puck, as long as the shooter gets it on net. Plus, he doesn't even have to use his stick. The puck could just bounce off him and into the net.

I would just like to see this team try some different power play concepts other than Sedin's working the puck down low. I think this book has been read. A lot. One timers from the left side, right side or top seem to be in highlight packages all around the league. Do we not have shooters capable of this on our team? I know we have the passers, two real good ones

Archived