The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacIntyre's three thoughts: It's over for the Canucks, probably over for Desjardins

VanGnome

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Why should that be a concern?

No, this isn't a "oh Pizza is trash...worst D in the NHL by a mile" type of reply.

Sbisa is an ok somewhat physical #6 left side D (have to wonder though what he was doing on the ice when Hamhuis had to step-in & be a possible '3rd man in fight' when Dorsett was overmatched in a fight during out last playoff series with the Flames) that provides little offense with over a $3+ million cap hit.

Those kinds of D aren't that hard to replace.

Sbisa has been, at times, one of our better D this year. He's a solid #5D who can fill in at #4 with injuries and has improved every year he's been here. Ideally, you don't let that get yanked for nothing.

With the expansion draft, there's also not much trade value for him this year. That likely changes next year when I'd FAR prefer to move him for higher return (no expansion, hopefully continuing his upward trajectory).

And no, that's not so easily replaced.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yah I think its going to be a very bare cupboard for us on picks... but on the + side we really want them for 2018 anyway! I have to think the twins can net us another 2018 1st rounder and maybe another later rounder, and Hansen will be worth a 2nd to a contender. So 10 picks in 2018 would make me happy. 

Don't forget Sbisa ;)

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Sbisa has been, at times, one of our better D this year. He's a solid #5D who can fill in at #4 with injuries and has improved every year he's been here. Ideally, you don't let that get yanked for nothing.

With the expansion draft, there's also not much trade value for him this year. That likely changes next year when I'd FAR prefer to move him for higher return (no expansion, hopefully continuing his upward trajectory).

And no, that's not so easily replaced.

45 minutes ago, combover said:

Ericson  is 30+ (I don't know his exact age) that said 

Miller 3  vrbata 2 ericson 6

the owner,president,gm haven't accepted. 

. benning,owner want this team to win now and if you don't understand that then we'll enjoy your sunshine and lollipops. When a team is signing guy like ericson and pumping the " playoff team " its not a rebuild it's a mess and the stats show it. 

The Vancouver mentality everyone hates the Canucks and writes hate if you take the blinders off you start to see that what's written isn't hate it's closer to the truth than the nonsense coming from this disorganization.

Hard not to rebuild when the gm assembles  one of the worst groups in the NHL and think it's a winner, It's not intentional.

you should check out his book. 

Jim "the weatherman" benning and the accidental rebuild 

I was responding to a specific post that said we need to stop signing 30+ year olds to 6 year deals. Something we have only done once in JB's tenure here.

Also LE contract isn't all that bad becoming a limited ntc after year 4. 

I read the posts here, and from a great many, I get the sense that we should...

A>  Fire the Coach!  Free Willie!.  

-  I will counter this by saying that I doubt that the coaches are the problem.  We've gone thru a few, and they seem to be doing just fine elsewhere.  Horvat and Baertschi would like to say they're developing under his system, Hutton is here, Stecher is awesome, Gaunce looks like a solid fourth liner, and look at that Granlund doing better than Shinkaruk.

B>  Fire Trevor Linden/Benning!

- I will counter with the, What in the hell were they supposed to do with Gillis's NTC's and other various loyalty contracts.  They've gotten us out of most of them, and we are just a season away from being 90% done with the team from 2011.  Oh, and we have prospects in the pipeline.  Defence could be really strong in the next few years and lets see what next couple years drafts do to our forward ranks now that we're good in goal and defence on prospects.

-  Oh, and I'll say this, love Benning drafting.  Biggest complaint so far is that he trades picks and he can't draft more.  Relax, sometimes you need to gamble.  Gudbranson could be a winner, with development.  

C>  Trade away all the vets for picks!!  Go full rebuild.  

-  If you look closely, you'll see that we've slowly bled away our vets since TL/JB took over, getting what value we could (never enough to satisfy Canucks fans.  Bieska was worth at least Stamkos/drouin).  I get it, you hate the Sedins.  Those f#()&*%s have bled blue and green for too long.  Burn down their houses and sell them for scrap.  Or be classy, let them retire here as they deserve, and move on.  Be Patient.  Look at this team, you think we're going to win the cup next year with a few trades?  I want the kool-aid you're drinking.

D>  Fire the owners!  

-That one surprised me.  I don't know what to say.  I'll let you go out and bleed 70 million for a team that is rebuilding.  I'm pretty sure you'd be doing things different instead of sitting thru a rebuild/retool/playing to play meaningful games in march, whatever you want to call it. 

I think everyone needs to calm the hell down and realize, anything positive we gain from this season is awesome.  Burrows last season, possibly Miller's last season.  Enjoy the ride, up and down of this wonderful roller coaster.  We scored 6 goals last night.  Before we couldn't score one.  Go Baertschi!  Came back with fire and got 2 goals and an assist.   Think the biggest problem facing our franchise is its fans.  Breathe, realize this isn't going to win us the cup this year, or next, but in the next few years, we might have a good team going.   And we'll do it our way, not the Edmonton way, not the Toronto way.  Edmonton isn't going to win this year, and neither is the leafs, and not us.  Its going to be a few years, so relax, have a drink, turn the game on, and then play your tablet.  That way at least it looks like we actually care, even if we're playing tablet games. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

I was responding to a specific post that said we need to stop signing 30+ year olds to 6 year deals. Something we have only done once in JB's tenure here.

Also LE contract isn't all that bad becoming a limited ntc after year 4. 

Too funny. Glad you are not our GM.

LE is one of the top 10 worst UFA  signings in the entire NHL for this season.

Wow. Epic fail. 

5 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Thats a pretty damning statement from MacIntyre....Usually,he's the more conservative of the print media...All must not be well,because he's pretty much in step with organization..He may as well be the PR man.

I agree.

I've interviewed MacIntyre and this article is very unMacIntyre like. He has been around this team a very, very long time.

Maybe he's pissed off; maybe ownership took away his free buffet privileges.

It was for sure a gross loss; but Biega?, growing Try, young Stetch, young Hutton, not so sure Guddy, and the very average pizza boy are what we've got back there right now. I guess we're not that deep on D yet; although we did get by pretty good for awhile there.

Seems as soon as Biega was asked to step in and cover minutes things started to turn to cowpaddies.

Archived