The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacIntyre's three thoughts: It's over for the Canucks, probably over for Desjardins

VanGnome

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

? Bo. sure. Stecher. sure (although his own drive is 90% of it). Tryamkin only because he was forced to play him. After that? crickets.....

No he hasn't. Bear, Granny, Hutton, nope. Has managed to "Vrbata" Loui E. Worst offence in the league. 

You have low exceptions my friend. 

What are you talking about he has completely changed Baertschi for the better. Burke thought he was soft wimp, look at his game now. Similarly with Granlund - he totally outplayed his brother recently and has been much better this season.

Loui is having the same slump many of the other UFAs are having - go check. 

By the way Willie was still coach when Vbrata scored 30 goals and equalled his best ever year or have you conveniently forgotten that.

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Why is it always in spite of the coach when something goes well here but because of him when it doesn't? 

The 8 game skid showed it all last month..

And there have been signs well before that..

I think some here are still wearing rose coloured glasses from how we started the season in the first 2 weeks.

Just now, SilentSam said:

I think some here are still wearing rose coloured glasses from how we started the season in the first 2 weeks.

Or some knew where the team was and aren't pushing the panic button...

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

What are you talking about he has completely changed Baertschi for the better. Burke thought he was soft wimp, look at his game now. Similarly with Granlund - he totally outplayed his brother recently and has been much better this season.

Loui is having the same slump many of the other UFAs are having - go check. 

By the way Willie was still coach when Vbrata scored 30 goals and equalled his best ever year or have you conveniently forgotten that.

Did you watch any of Vrbata's 2nd season? Or have you forgotten that? Willie seems to have a real talent for pulling the least out of his veteran talent. Once he starts wiggling and diddling with the vets in particular it ends in disaster. 

Willie's negatives far outweigh the positives. But hey, prove me wrong. Whats the thing that sets Willie apart from other coaches? Whats so special about WD that we shouldn't make a change?

35 minutes ago, J.R. said:

More of Van's trash media attempting to stir the pot and fuel negativity :bored:

Seriously folks, we're rebuilding. They tend to not be pretty all the time. Our top D pair is out and we presently have one of the youngest D cores in the league and people are shocked when they look inconsistent after a long, hard road trip?!?!

People need to wake the hell up to reality here :lol:

Rebuilding ?

not trading vets and pending ufas at or before the deadline then losing them for nothing.

signing 30+ year olds to 6yeat deals.

trading picks and prospects for projects and rejects. 

Consindering resigning Miller. Publicly stating rebuild is unfair to two 36 year old players. 

clamming this team is a win now playoff team.

if this is rebuilding then it's straight out of the Kevin Lowe hand book. 

The team hasn't even bottomed out yet. This team owner,gm,coach are the laughing stock of the NHL. And it's not because they are "rebuilding"

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Why is it always in spite of the coach when something goes well here but because of him when it doesn't? 

Ah, that would be because a coach needs to coach when things start to go wrong. A coach must have answers and put down the dam clip board. There is no way they should have lost that game when leading 5-2 at the start of the 3rd period. Wd seemed totally lost; why. Maybe Doug Jarvis should be given the head coach job till the management can figure out what to do. Good coaches get involved in some way, WD seems totally lost when things go wrong.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Did you watch any of Vrbata's 2nd season? Or have you forgotten that? Willie seems to have a real talent for pulling the least out of his veteran talent. Once he starts wiggling and diddling with the vets in particular it ends in disaster. 

Willie's negatives far outweigh the positives. But hey, prove me wrong. Whats the thing that sets Willie apart from other coaches? Whats so special about WD that we shouldn't make a change?

I'm sorry, but are you actually blaming WD for Vrbata quitting on the team because he wasn't playing with the Sedins?

I believe Willie should have kept Vrbata with the Sedins because it worked so well the 1st year. But the way Radim responded to being taken off that line is embarassing like next level. The dude quit on everyone in that room. Took his ball and went home. He is a joke of a player and that can't be blamed on Willie.

If I was coach and I took a player off a line for a few games and saw he started pouting like a unprofessional arse I would probably not reward him by putting him back with the twins.

40 minutes ago, J.R. said:

There's been what, probably 3-4 stinkers this year? And as far as I can tell, they've all been during or directly after a long road trip.

A combination of young, inconsistent players and old, tired vets during or after a long, hard road trip should be surprising literally no one. 

The rest of the games, the team has largely played extremely hard for WD. By no means am I stating he's the world's greatest coach and I could pick some nits on certain deployment, lineup etc choices but he's not even close to the team's biggest reason for losing.

He is not even close to being the team's biggest chance at winning either. Nor is he the choice to get the most out of this group even if they are losing.

Thats the point. He is overmatched and in full throw everything at the wall hoping something sticks panic mode. No wonder the team panics with a 3 goal lead. Their coach panics too.

1 minute ago, combover said:

Rebuilding ?

not trading vets and pending ufas at or before the deadline then losing them for nothing.

Consindering resigning Miller. Publicly stating rebuild is unfair to two 36 year old players. 

The team hasn't even bottomed out yet. This team owner,gm,coach are the laughing stock of the NHL. And it's not because they are "rebuilding"

He signed 1 30 year old to a 6 year deal not multiple 30+ year olds to 6 year deals.

The team is rebuilding whether you accept it or not. 

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

They are busting their ancient asses each and every night, what more do you want from them? They can only work within the systems Willie puts forward. 

No the time out was not lost - it was covered on the radio last night and Willie admitted to not using it. That shows me he was as deer in the headlights as his team, and thats totally unacceptable from a coach. It wasn't game 7 of the final for gods sake. 

Maybe Stecher is the only player that can get a shot through from the point. isn't that more important than an extra 60 seconds in THAT GAME???

Well I would rather they did their job than bust their asses. Ie pass to other team mates not named Sedin, pass to a Canuck instead of the opposition most of the time, stop giving the opposition breathers by dropping the momentum our other lines have built up, start back checking like they actually wanted to help the D, start shooting now and a gain and not waiting for an open net before attempting a shot.

27 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

100% agree.

I'm a very patient fan though.  I know this ship can't be turned around in a single year simply by changing the coaching staff.  If they continue to build a new core I can see this team becoming contenders.  Maybe it will require a coaching change at some point, but right now, I don't see it as urgent.  I think too many fans are looking for video game solutions.

My argument has nothing to do with being patient, I even understand they cannot come out and say "rebuild" to their fans. The real problem is what the GM is saying and his actions as far as doing everything he can to rebuild this team as fast as possible. That is by asking players to waive, and make trades for picks and prospects especially when payers are on their last year of their contracts. It's actually finding ways to trade at the deadline for picks and players to help with the rebuild, even thought they don't have to say it. Instead of trading the picks away and useless signings they will not help now and will really hurt the team in years to come is the opposite of "rebuilding" He did this last year and is doing the same thing this year. This gives me very little hope that they will ever be a "cup" contender anytime in the future.

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Rebuilding ?

Considering resigning Miller. Publicly stating rebuild is unfair to two 36 year old players. 

they cant be that dumb!!!!

what the hell am i thinking, of course they can. 

that's scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think some are confused as to how good this team presently is and how much difference a coaching change would make presently. Also assuming there's a wealth of better options currently available to replace him.

We were a 10-15 picking, bottom half of the league team if we were healthy. We have our top pair D and arguably one of our best forwards out, one of the youngest D cores in the league playing above their heads and what was always at best a mediocre and still largely veteran/down trending top 6 with no help on the horizon in that regard for another season + due to still being in the front half of a rebuild.

That mess ^^ just finished up a long, rough and compressed road trip out East and people are seemingly shocked they didn't do so well.

2 minutes ago, snucks said:

Ah, that would be because a coach needs to coach when things start to go wrong. A coach must have answers and put down the dam clip board. There is no way they should have lost that game when leading 5-2 at the start of the 3rd period. Wd seemed totally lost; why. Maybe Doug Jarvis should be given the head coach job till the management can figure out what to do. Good coaches get involved in some way, WD seems totally lost when things go wrong.

cool story. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

He signed 1 30 year old to a 6 year deal not multiple 30+ year olds to 6 year deals.

The team is rebuilding whether you accept it or not. 

People don't because it doesn't fit their narrative of what an authentic dumpster fire rebuild should look like on the ice, and sound like in press conferences.

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

I'm sorry, but are you actually blaming WD for Vrbata quitting on the team because he wasn't playing with the Sedins?

I believe Willie should have kept Vrbata with the Sedins because it worked so well the 1st year. But the way Radim responded to being taken off that line is embarassing like next level. The dude quit on everyone in that room. Took his ball and went home. He is a joke of a player and that can't be blamed on Willie.

If I was coach and I took a player off a line for a few games and saw he started pouting like a unprofessional arse I would probably not reward him by putting him back with the twins.

If you don't see the issue with pushing Vrbata down to the bottom 6 I'm not sure we have any common ground to discuss it. You do not treat your elite talent that way. Willie pulled apart a great line because.... ? 

Willie's line blender has been criticized by a lot more than CDC and the results are the worst offence in the NHL. How can you possible view that as positive? 

29 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I told myself I will never go full retard.  So I didn't read the MacIntyre article.

I saw Ian MacIntyre in the summer driving around and couldn't believe my eyes dude was driving an 80s Honda that looked like it was harvested from the junk yard.  Rust and all.  I'm not hating, i was just suprised.  Thought his job would pay more than that.

What he drives has nothing to do with him as a person or his belief's.  This shows just how shallow you are.

4 minutes ago, Kokanee king said:

they cant be that dumb!!!!

what the hell am i thinking, of course they can. 

that's scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Markstrom's going to need a veteran backup next year. That could be Miller, it could be someone else. 

6 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Well I would rather they did their job than bust their asses. Ie pass to other team mates not named Sedin, pass to a Canuck instead of the opposition most of the time, stop giving the opposition breathers by dropping the momentum our other lines have built up, start back checking like they actually wanted to help the D, start shooting now and a gain and not waiting for an open net before attempting a shot.

So your issue is you want a hammer to be a wrench? They are what they are. Its up to the coach to asses the talent and get the most out of it. 

Results matter. The results of Willies line combinations is the worst offence in the NHL. Thats why you replace him. 

Obviously the Sedins should be sent back to Sweden immediately along with WD, so Fin can coach the team and have Horvat out on the ice for the full 60 minutes.

We will win all the games remaining in the season, squeak into the playoffs win the Stanley cup and draft 1st overall for Patrick.

This way, all the fans will flock back into Rogers Arena.

:rolleyes:

Archived