The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacIntyre's three thoughts: It's over for the Canucks, probably over for Desjardins

VanGnome

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Markstrom's going to need a veteran backup next year. That could be Miller, it could be someone else. 

Why would Miller sign to be the backup on a rebuilding team? If he signs it will be too much term, too much money, and to be the #1 guy again. 

Miller needs to go. Much like the Sedins need to go in order for the Canucks to ever move on from them as our #1 line. As long as the vet guys are here, they will be the go to guys especially if Desjardins is still here.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

So your issue is you want a hammer to be a wrench? Its up to the coach to asses the talent and get the most out of it. 

Results matter. The results of Willies line combinations is the worst offence in the NHL. Thats why you replace him. 

Veteran, down trending top 6. No youthful reinforcements until next season and even then, largely just one guy in Boeser. Maybe add Virtanen, (though I suspect he'll be a few more years before he's more than a 25-30 point forward).

Youngest D in the league meaning forwards can't take as much risk in the o zone.

Yeah, it's all the coach.

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He is not even close to being the team's biggest chance at winning either. Nor is he the choice to get the most out of this group even if they are losing.

Thats the point. He is overmatched and in full throw everything at the wall hoping something sticks panic mode. No wonder the team panics with a 3 goal lead. Their coach panics too.

Yeah, he doesn't like it when a young rookie starts to shine. He prefers to stifle players and keep things low key. He perhaps prefers a one goal lead not 3 like last night. I wouldn't be surprised if he told his team in the second intermission to play real defensive in the third because the Canes would be coming after them, instead of telling them to keep doing what got them the 3 goal lead in the first place.

Willie has coached this team to be soft as marshmallows. Worst offence in the league. Can't win a road game. Easily shocked into submission by lesser teams. 

And yet, we have a chorus of folks that seem to have a love-in with him, like its Scotty Bowman back there, who can't actually point out anything Willie does well, other than grow lip hair. 

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He signed 1 30 year old to a 6 year deal not multiple 30+ year olds to 6 year deals.

The team is rebuilding whether you accept it or not. 

GM is doing a very poor job of rebuilding then, needs to be fired

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Why would Miller sign to be the backup on a rebuilding team? If he signs it will be too much term, too much money, and to be the #1 guy again. 

Miller needs to go. Much like the Sedins need to go in order for the Canucks to ever move on from them as our #1 line. As long as the vet guys are here, they will be the go to guys especially if Desjardins is still here.

I didn't say he would. But who knows, maybe he likes living and playing in one of the best cities in the world?

I'd tend to agree he'll likely move on to somewhere that's closer to contention but I can understand why management would explore the possibility. Miller, if he's happy staying, in a back up role, for reasonable $ and term would be just fine IMO.

Realistically though, we likely head another direction, as does he.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Been waiting for that for years. They play like they want to make sure they have no trade value.

nah man, as long as they have those cheque's to cash they are just fine. Look at Edler, he's been walking around in a trans for years, but his bank account is just fine.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I didn't say he would. But who knows, maybe he likes living and playing in one of the best cities in the world?

I'd tend to agree he'll likely move on to somewhere that's closer to contention but I can understand why management would explore the possibility. Miller, if he's happy staying, in a back up role, for reasonable $ and term would be just fine IMO.

Realistically though, we likely head another direction, as does he.

If they signed him to a backup dollar deal on a 1 or at most 2 year term and actually played him as the backup or even as a 30 game guy then I would be all over it.

Unfortunately I highly doubt that scenario comes to pass.

What you got here is a good team with avg players trying to be super stars...not the coach not linden not banning not the owners not the  drafts ..its called sports...if every team had the best players there would be no nhl..id like the team just show a good effort spread out..you cannot perform high octane every day so you spread it out...its called team work...fight if they have to hit if they have to and show some enthusiasm and give us a bang for a buck..im going to bchl hockey where the best d man right now is stretcher and maybe lucas ...what they need is a game plan every nite that suits the game and team playing win or lose....its  a business but ya it looks more boring every day i watch then hl..not just my canucks..

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

We're in a lottery position right now. Or has your incessant whining forgot that already? 

Where's the extra picks? How many did he get from last years deadline? How many will he get from his UFA this year? come on man... he's getting paid to make the good deals for the team. My grandma could make better trades.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Veteran, down trending top 6. No youthful reinforcements until next season and even then, largely just one guy in Boeser. Maybe add Virtanen, (though I suspect he'll be a few more years before he's more than a 25-30 point forward).

Youngest D in the league meaning forwards can't take as much risk in the o zone.

Yeah, it's all the coach.

You make it sound like they have to wheel them in on a stretcher to the rink. 

Loui just came off a 30 goal year. Hansen 22. 61 pt season for Daniel. 55 pts for Henrik. Sutter is playing well. Sorry that just does not pass the stink test that the veterans are all suddenly crap. 

We had that 9 game skid with a solid D group. 

Willie has the worst offence in the league. If now isn't the time to take chances, when is?

Yes, its the coach. 

Just now, Rocksterh8 said:

Where's the extra picks? How many did he get from last years deadline? How many will he get from his UFA this year? come on man... he's getting paid to make the good deals for the team. My grandma could make better trades.

Keep telling yourself that. 

7 minutes ago, combover said:

Rebuilding ?

not trading vets and pending ufas at or before the deadline then losing them for nothing.

The other teams were trying to rook us on the deal you are talking about and JB explained it at the time but you ignore the reason and bring it up again

signing 30+ year olds to 6yeat deals.

He has signed one 30 year old who was up to then a high scorer, unlike CDC who are good with hindsight JB doesn't have a crystal ball.

trading picks and prospects for projects and rejects. 

What prospects, what projects, what rejects? He was filling a void and lost nothing of note and gained Baetschi and Granlund

Consindering resigning Miller. Publicly stating rebuild is unfair to two 36 year old players. 

Miller is a very good goalie and suffers from playing behind this youthful rebuilding D. It was TL who said that, I think but it matters little, we are rebuilding anyway. There are only 5 of the original roster left from when JB took over. We chose a type of re-build designed to keep us in a position to win.

clamming this team is a win now playoff team.

He said it was the intention to make the playoffs (every GM says that) to do that of course you have to win more than you lose. Don't be naive.

if this is rebuilding then it's straight out of the Kevin Lowe hand book. 

The team hasn't even bottomed out yet. This team owner,gm,coach are the laughing stock of the NHL. And it's not because they are "rebuilding"

Prove that statement. Show us where anyone is laughing. I suggest you are just butthurt because like so many on here you haven't a clue the heartache that is involved in a rebuild.

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The same reason he signed here in the first place, he was offered a decent job. Nobody will likely be signing him as a number one goalie if he leaves, and it surely won't be a contending team, unless they are desperate. 

I don't have a problem with Markstrom being the #1 guy here next year, maybe even 1-2 split, but Demko probably won't be ready to back him up yet so we need someone with some experience. Ergo - why not Miller? He'll be 37 next year. Who else would give him a kick at the can?

Archived