The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gudbranson out indefinitely after wrist surgery

numb3r 16

1 minute ago, PlanB said:

If you saw Quads in the playoffs last year you would've seen him at his best - so no,  we haven't seen him at that level in a Canucks uniform yet.   

Word!   The best is yet to come from this guy most assuredly. 

On 12/18/2016 at 5:06 PM, Honky Cat said:

Pittsburgh Penguins had the 1st overall in 2005 (Sidney Crosby)..and won the SC in 2008-9....basically 3.5 years..

But they took 6 years to rebuild. Malkin and Crosby came in years 4 & 5. They had five consecutive top 5 picks. Chicago also took 7 years with Kane and Toews coming in years 6 and 7. There's no such thing as a quick rebuild.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

But they took 6 years to rebuild. Malkin and Crosby came in years 4 & 5. They had five consecutive top 5 picks. Chicago also took 7 years with Kane and Toews coming in years 6 and 7. There's no such thing as a quick rebuild.

This is the rare occasion that I agree with you. Flipping a core takes 10 years minimum and by core I mean 1st line and top pair. Not Baertschi and Hutton. 

If you compare the Oilers to other teams who sucked for a long time 10 years removed from the Stanley cup final to a playoff appearance, (if that happens) isn't even that abnormal. They lost at least 3 years to bad management, possibly more.

If everything goes perfectly and you absolutely smash a few home runs in the later rounds (even though those picks don't matter) you could go from rock bottom to contention in 5 years. 

59 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

This is the rare occasion that I agree with you. Flipping a core takes 10 years minimum and by core I mean 1st line and top pair. Not Baertschi and Hutton. 

If you compare the Oilers to other teams who sucked for a long time 10 years removed from the Stanley cup final to a playoff appearance, (if that happens) isn't even that abnormal. They lost at least 3 years to bad management, possibly more.

If everything goes perfectly and you absolutely smash a few home runs in the later rounds (even though those picks don't matter) you could go from rock bottom to contention in 5 years. 

Doing it in 5 years is such a leap by management as it requires very proactive action to move vets who still play well. Look what the Bruins did moving Sequin and Lucic plus complimentary d-men. Will it work for them?

IMHO it does make a huge dif as to who is directing the ship whether the GM or the coach. I hate giving any accolades to the Laffers at any time but Babcock is truly a great coach. I'll also point to Hextall in Philly where he has done wonders in a relatively short time.  

37 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

While his response to you was a bit brusque, he was not wrong, you are. Look it up.

whats the issue? As of today Biega needs 12 more games to have the number of games needed to be draft eligible. Cap Friendly tracks all of it.

I don't think there's going to be any big rush of trades over expansion now, a scan of the teams shows most of them have enough marginal guys to expose. 

A few teams though will be in tough spots - ANA e.g., is going to lose a good young D for sure to Vegas so you might see EDM picking up a guy like Cam Fowler in a trade vs losing him to Vegas for nothing. I'm sure there will be a TSN review of the trade possibilities soon enough. 

Just now, richado said:

I did look it up. Biega still needs games to play so we can expose him. Dunno how you guys are interpreting these rules. As @S'all Good Man said above.

Actually Sbisa just qualified not that long ago, due to his injury last year. There's going to be a whole lot of guys like Biega getting extra playing time to qualify all over the league. Only teams like ANA and CHI are going to get really hurt, and only if they can't pull off a trade. 

Guys. Every player that isn't exempt (either from being a 1st or 2nd year pro or being placed on the protected list) is eligible for the expansion draft.

The games played numbers (40/70) are part of the "minimum exposure requirements." We have to included 2 Fs, 1 D, and 1 G that meet these requirements among all the players that get exposed.

But Vegas doesn't have to pick from those 2 Fs, 1 D, and 1 G. They can draft any player that isn't on the "exempt" list, even if they haven't played 40/70, or aren't under contract (for 2017-18), and even UFAs can be signed by Vegas (during a window ahead of the draft--and these signings get converted to expansion picks).

The minimum exposure requirements are a team requirement. Each team must include players that meet these requirements among their exposed players.

They are not player requirements. Players don't have to meet these requirements to be eligible for the expansion draft. They just need to be not exempt.

So when you go on cap friendly, every player listed in the first group for each team is eligible to be picked in the draft (not just the ones with the "minimum exposure requirements"). 

The second group (titled "exempt") lists the players that can not be picked.

Any player not listed as "exempt" can be drafted.

The games remaining that they list on cap friendly is for "minimum exposure requirements" (which applies to the team having to expose 2 Fs, 1 D, and 1 G from that group). But all the players listed in that section are eligible for the expansion draft, regardless of whether or not they have 40/70 games played.

18 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Actually Sbisa just qualified not that long ago, due to his injury last year. There's going to be a whole lot of guys like Biega getting extra playing time to qualify all over the league. Only teams like ANA and CHI are going to get really hurt, and only if they can't pull off a trade. 

Have another look.

Columbus, for example, will be exposing some VERY good players, whether or not they make a move - they'd have to make a number of them

But regarding Gudbranson - this absolutely sucks - and is gd typical - this team hasn't had a healthy blueline in the modern age.

Cost them the Cup.

Hammered them every year since.

Bullcrap misfortune.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Have another look.

Columbus, for example, will be exposing some VERY good players, whether or not they make a move - they'd have to make a number of them

But regarding Gudbranson - this absolutely sucks - and is gd typical - this team hasn't had a healthy blueline in the modern age.

Cost them the Cup.

Bullcrap misfortune.

Yup missed them with all the NMCs but overall aren't most teams going to be just fine? Us e.g, will lose Sbisa or Baer. Sure it sucks, but its not like it will be that impactful long term.

For sure on the cup run, if we had a full health D group Boston probably never wakes up. 

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Have another look.

Cost them the Cup.

Bullcrap misfortune.

I, for one, am sick and tired of our blueline curse. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Thats why I like your suggestion of picking Timothy Liljegren in the next draft. Its going to take several years of development of the young D and G anyway, so if JB picks him (assuming he's available of course) and several years of picking F's so why not "complete" the D drafting now and have the next core group hitting their respective primes around the same time?

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats why I like your suggestion of picking Timothy Liljegren in the next draft. Its going to take several years of development of the young D and G anyway, so if JB picks him (assuming he's available of course) and several years of picking F's so why not "complete" the D drafting now and have the next core group hitting their respective primes around the same time?

not opposed but who will we take Patrick or Lilgren if we have the choice. I'm betting jb takes the #1 C first unless the gap between them is too high.

Lilgren skates like a boss.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think "Lady Luck" is also the ultimate troll...

Out of all the players on our blueline (I'm referring to the ones on the regular season roster - not guys like Nolan Baumgartner or perpetual scratch Ballard), Salo was the only fully healthy D we had in the 2011 finals.

LOL - out of all our D, him being healthy?  

48 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

not opposed but who will we take Patrick or Lilgren if we have the choice. I'm betting jb takes the #1 C first unless the gap between them is too high.

Lilgren skates like a boss.

If we're not picking 1 or 2... my spidey sense says JB goes for a high scoring winger over a C 1st round, and maybe goes off the board for some long-shot C prospects, maybe even an over-age C in later rounds. Why? We're desperate for scoring, its not going to come from Baer or Granny, and wingers can potentially develop faster, on the scoring side anyway. 

Looking farther down the mock drafts between 5 and 10 spots I think this kid fits the JB mould: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312680  big Russian RW or LW, shoots right, tearing it up in the WHL - he's already matched his entire season point total form last year in 1/2 a season.

Jim's got a lot of little speedy wingers from last draft, so I'm betting he goes bigger and for scoring. 

36 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

If we're not picking 1 or 2... my spidey sense says JB goes for a high scoring winger over a C 1st round, and maybe goes off the board for some long-shot C prospects, maybe even an over-age C in later rounds. Why? We're desperate for scoring, its not going to come from Baer or Granny, and wingers can potentially develop faster, on the scoring side anyway. 

Looking farther down the mock drafts between 5 and 10 spots I think this kid fits the JB mould: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312680  big Russian RW or LW, shoots right, tearing it up in the WHL - he's already matched his entire season point total form last year in 1/2 a season.

Jim's got a lot of little speedy wingers from last draft, so I'm betting he goes bigger and for scoring. 

I think he goes for a 1C because he has no guarantee the Twins even finish their contracts. They could retire next year. Canucks have Sutter and Horvat as legit C's. Another reason why Chaput and Gaunce stay in Van and likely Megna goes to Utica.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think he goes for a 1C because he has no guarantee the Twins even finish their contracts. They could retire next year. Canucks have Sutter and Horvat as legit C's. Another reason why Chaput and Gaunce stay in Van and likely Megna goes to Utica.

But is there a 1C outside of Nolan? If JB decides no, then that will drive other decisions. 

9 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

whats the issue? As of today Biega needs 12 more games to have the number of games needed to be draft eligible. Cap Friendly tracks all of it.

I don't think there's going to be any big rush of trades over expansion now, a scan of the teams shows most of them have enough marginal guys to expose. 

A few teams though will be in tough spots - ANA e.g., is going to lose a good young D for sure to Vegas so you might see EDM picking up a guy like Cam Fowler in a trade vs losing him to Vegas for nothing. I'm sure there will be a TSN review of the trade possibilities soon enough. 

9 hours ago, richado said:

I did look it up. Biega still needs games to play so we can expose him. Dunno how you guys are interpreting these rules. As @S'all Good Man said above.

If you want to know the facts, read Sid's post above. If you just want to keep sharing your ignorance, just keep on posting nonsense.

18 hours ago, richado said:

Vegas can only take one player per team so does it matter if Biega is exposed or not? If you had the choice of a free player would you take Biega over Sbisa? I'd steal Baertschi, Granlund, or Sbisa over Biega.

Archived