The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gudbranson out indefinitely after wrist surgery

numb3r 16

Well, sh!t. 

I hope WD keeps Hutton-Tanev and Edler-Stecher once AE is back. Assuming Hutton doesn't step on a rake between now and then. The way the D guys are going down I'm expecting them to start getting injured at home now too. 

2 hours ago, richado said:

Time for Biega to play enough for expansion draft exposure! Poor little guy.

Yeah, I could see a scenario where the Canucks want to protect Sbisa need Biega for the expansion draft. But I would still like to see Subban and maybe Pedan get a shot. And I still think is likely that Sbisa is the guy the Canucks expose. (And he is now eligible as he is over the 70-game threshold for this year and last  year combined.)

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I want to see Subban damnit. Even if he sucks defensively.

I agree, at some point Subban has to get some credit for his scoring performance in Utica.

2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Always hate to see someone out long term so wish him a speedy recovery.

On the flip side, hopefully this means Guddy doesn't get a mammoth contract if he won't play much the rest of the season considering how poorly he's looked.

I have been worried all along that JB was determined to overpay to re-sign Guddy, like Sutter or Sbisa only worse. Fortunately league rules prevented signing a new deal with him until 2017. GMs are usually very stubborn about remaining committed to players they acquire but even JB has to see that Guddy is not that good. He is big, strong, tough, plays a physical game, makes hits and blocks shots, and has a decent top speed. But he is not quick, does not carry the puck well, pass well, or receive passes well. And his decision-making is not great. Like the analytics said when evaluating the trade, he is maybe a borderline second pairing defensive D or maybe only a 3rd pairing guy on a good team. 

Based on his play this season it is far from obvious that he is significantly better than Sbisa and it is obvious that he is not as good as Tanev on the right side. And, although they are completely different types of players, I have Stecher ahead of Guddy on the depth chart. Right now, if everyone was healthy, I would have Guddy on the 3rd pairing.

I would qualify him for next year ($3.5 million). I doubt if he would get any more than that in arbitration. And, based on his play this year, I would not want to go much if any higher than that long term. Even $4 million per year long term would be pushing it, and that is quite a bit less than he was allegedly asking for in Florida.l.

Well, I think we all saw this coming.

Gud was sub-par considering his role and it was leaked he had been dealing with a wrist issue for a long while

Not being able to sit out and heal has led to this. Management has nobody else to blame

I firmly believe our top 6 should be ;

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Sbisa - Gudbranson

Tryamkin

With Sbis and Tryam alternating with Biega until everybody has enough games to get expansion drafted.

But we have Tanev back, who has good chemistry and history with Hutton. If/when Edler is back, he's played some good games with Stetch.

Sbisa and Tryamkin for, whatever reason, play really well together.

At this point I'm not super worried. Yet.

If it's surgery he's out 6-8 weeks depending on severity could be longer. 

Hope tanev can stay healthy over that time or this team is gonna sink to the bottom faster than the titanic

hutton-sbisa 

tryamkin-stetcher 

pedan-biega

yikes. Plus edler when he comes back and stays healthy 

Lol wow, what a season we're having. 
Well, we get a good player this summer. That's certain.

You know what the real response to losing Guddy should be? Jake Virtanen. We have D-men that can cover for his loss, but not the physicality and intimidation.
Yet, in spite of this, I still say the need for Jake to stay down in the A and earn his keep overrides the need for us to fill a void from injury. 

4 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Always hate to see someone out long term so wish him a speedy recovery.

On the flip side, hopefully this means Guddy doesn't get a mammoth contract if he won't play much the rest of the season considering how poorly he's looked.

Could be something that will nag him long term. This is not good. Especially Wrist.  If it's long term recovery , I'm assuming its more serious then boeser s. 

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I just bought his hat too. I'm cursed.

Let's say that puts him out for 2-3 months, and he isn't great when he comes back. Do we expose him or Sbisa for the expansion draft?

I didn't expect to ever ask that, but Sbisa is looking like a capable top 4, while Gudbranson has struggled and is now looking at surgery. 

You keep Gudbranson, expose Sbisa, and trade Las Vegas a pick for "future considerations" and they take someone like Rodin or Biega. 

Considering our annual need for defensemen, I really think the Canucks should consider doing that. Barring any other trades, we'll have a top pairing of Edler and Tanev, a second pair of Hutton and Gudbranson, and a bottom pair of Sbisa and Stecher. Pedan and Subban can be the seventh and eighth defensemen, and have Juolevi be a wild card where he can stay in London for his final year if he isn't quite ready for the NHL.

EDIT: Forgot about Tryamkin!

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Stecher

Tryamkin - Subban

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I just bought his hat too. I'm cursed.

Let's say that puts him out for 2-3 months, and he isn't great when he comes back. Do we expose him or Sbisa for the expansion draft?

I didn't expect to ever ask that, but Sbisa is looking like a capable top 4, while Gudbranson has struggled and is now looking at surgery. 

That's not even a real question to ask.  

Guds is not an option to leave unprotected. 

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Yeah, I could see a scenario where the Canucks want to protect Sbisa need Biega for the expansion draft. But I would still like to see Subban and maybe Pedan get a shot. And I still think is likely that Sbisa is the guy the Canucks expose. (And he is now eligible as he is over the 70-game threshold for this year and last  year combined.)

I agree, at some point Subban has to get some credit for his scoring performance in Utica.

I have been worried all along that JB was determined to overpay to re-sign Guddy, like Sutter or Sbisa only worse. Fortunately league rules prevented signing a new deal with him until 2017. GMs are usually very stubborn about remaining committed to players they acquire but even JB has to see that Guddy is not that good. He is big, strong, tough, plays a physical game, makes hits and blocks shots, and has a decent top speed. But he is not quick, does not carry the puck well, pass well, or receive passes well. And his decision-making is not great. Like the analytics said when evaluating the trade, he is maybe a borderline second pairing defensive D or maybe only a 3rd pairing guy on a good team. 

Based on his play this season it is far from obvious that he is significantly better than Sbisa and it is obvious that he is not as good as Tanev on the right side. And, although they are completely different types of players, I have Stecher ahead of Guddy on the depth chart. Right now, if everyone was healthy, I would have Guddy on the 3rd pairing.

I would qualify him for next year ($3.5 million). I doubt if he would get any more than that in arbitration. And, based on his play this year, I would not want to go much if any higher than that long term. Even $4 million per year long term would be pushing it, and that is quite a bit less than he was allegedly asking for in Florida.l.

I agree with you , but gud will probably get more then u think ( (unless the injury effects his value long term). Craig Button even said on 1040 last week; he s guna get around 5. Sekeres said that's crazy , and button agreed , but said that's what guys like him are getting. 

Don't expect 4 mill. He's guna get more , regardless of what we all may think he is worth 

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sittin here on the front porch, pick up the ol' 6 string...

Oh Lawd, down so long, I got dem' Roster-Bluues!

Wouldn't even ask Bettman, to wear my shooes

Turn on the tube, found 3 more gonnnne

My dog it died, woman said, "so longggg!"

Did u buy it at the five and dime? 

Archived