The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gudbranson out indefinitely after wrist surgery

numb3r 16

17 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Agreed...personal story, tweeked my wrist catching a football, went to the doctor and he said this is a common sport injury tendon tears from the bone, which displaces the bone. I've been living with it for years now. Doc said the cure is worst then the symptom...can't afford to take time off to recover from the surgery. 

This type of injury never heals.

I've had problems with my right wrist since i was 10, don't remember how I injured it but decades later it's still a problem and from time to time it tends to lock and need a "bone crack".  Lost a bit of strength in my right wrist (and forearm) but luckily I'm left handed.

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

No they can't. He has a ntc. Have to protect him.   And he is our best Dman. Why would we do that?

nice troll post tho

NTC can be left exposed but NMC can't be. Do your research and you will see. If a player with a NMC gives permission then they can also be left.

No troll hear bud and if Edler is not in the teams long term plan he could be used to protect other young players as they can only lose one player.

7 minutes ago, appleboy said:

NTC can be left exposed but NMC can't be. Do your research and you will see. If a player with a NMC gives permission then they can also be left.

No troll hear bud and if Edler is not in the teams long term plan he could be used to protect other young players as they can only lose one player.

Whether they can expose him or not isn't even the point here.  

It is a straight up stupid suggestion.  

Our best Dman. Give him away for free. 

You might not like him, but Edler would have pretty decent trade value.  

Why do something so dumb like give him away for nothing?  

Posts like yours always make me happy we have real hockey people in charge. 

Hahah.  Give your head a shake

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Just putting the record straight on Luca:

Tram isn't the team's leading +/-  ..... Sbisa is (at +5 ... Tram is +3) Sbisa has been leading almost from day 1.

After AE and Tanman went down with injuries our 1st pair PK defense was Guddy with Sbisa, followed by 30 secs of Hutton and Tram to spell them off. (And they did quite well, too, dragging up our pk from the depths)  Presumably  Sbisa and Tanev will be our new 1st pair until Edler returns.

Sbisa isn't  going to get exposed  .. he's become too valuable a piece of the puzzle. He is much improved this season over last ( as he was last season over the one before).  I'd actually see he and Guddy being our #2 pairing for a few years to come.

Not much choice.here. You have to protect 3D (if not going for the 8 skater protection option), and then everyone else is draft eligible if they meet the minimum experience and you have to make sure a certain number of guys are exposed. 

So Edler, Tanev and Guddy will be protected over Sbisa. Sbisa will very likely be picked by Vegas or exposed, unless Vegas really values a guy like Baer over him, which I doubt. 

45 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Whether they can expose him or not isn't even the point here.  

It is a straight up stupid suggestion.  

Our best Dman. Give him away for free. 

You might not like him, but Edler would have pretty decent trade value.  

Why do something so dumb like give him away for nothing?  

Posts like yours always make me happy we have real hockey people in charge. 

Hahah.  Give your head a shake

He has 0 trade value because he does not want to be traded and holds all the cards.

He has a bad back and has not looked good for two seasons.

He can't stay healthy but that seams to be a team issue.

His 5 mil could be spent better.

You get too attached to players and need to learn how to let go!:rolleyes:

There will be some interesting players left unprotected by teams this year.

19 minutes ago, appleboy said:

He has 0 trade value because he does not want to be traded and holds all the cards.

What would that do to Jim's reputation with free agents? Hey boys I will honour your NTCs.... but please ignore me exposing a NTC to the draft? I think Jim values his credibility too much to pull that move. 

17 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Everything you said here is wrong.  

Go up to someone and tell them they aren't in the teams future plans and they want to trade you, they won't want to stay.    He will give a list if they ask him for one. 

The injuries he has had in the last couple years weren't back related.   Sure he isn't the player he was before he hurt his back, but he is still a great Dman. When not put into a #1 role he would be great. 

He isn't a number 1 but we have played him as one for years.    That's why people don't like him. He is constantly being put in a role he isn't suited for.  That doesn't make him a bad player at all. 

Open market Edler easily gets over 5 mill. 

His contract is a deal. 

And, I'm pretty much in tank mode myself.  

I have no attachment or care for anyone on this team under 25. 

Edler for picks and prospects at this point would be fine with me

What I am saying is that there will be some interesting things done by teams all over the league in this expansion draft. Exposing a player with a NTC is allowed by the rules and you can be sure that there will be teams that use it to protect younger players.

There also might be players with large contracts and NTC clauses left unprotected thinking that Vegas would not want the salary.

Clubs will not want to lose their youth.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Tram isn't the team's leading +/-  ..... Sbisa is (at +5 ... Tram is +3) Sbisa has been leading almost from day 1.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with your post other than I wouldn't use the +/- stat when evaluating D men.  Shouldn't be disregarded completely obviously.  Look at quality of competition.  Where their zone starts are (offensive or defensive end), what Canuck forwards are on the ice when they are on,  etc.,

It should all be pieces of a larger puzzle.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Just putting the record straight on Luca:

That makes sense because often the best defenders on bad teams have the worst plus/minus on their teams (and vice versa). Its counter-intuitive but it tends to be the case more than the conventional thought that a better plus/minus means a better defenceman. In any event, plus/minus is a horrible stat and really doesn't give any insight into any individual  player (especially when applied incorrectly). There are so many better stats now, looking at plus/minus is just a waste of time.  

Well there goes his trade value! We all know that Tryamkin is the next Gudbranson. They are basically the same type of player. Plus, Tryamkin is younger and basically just as good. I would have packaged Gudbranson with one of Chaput or Gaunce, plus a 2nd or 3rd round pick in order to get Evander Kane. But not anymore, not until Gudbranson is healthy again.....

The official announcement: 

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager, Jim Benning announced today that defenceman, Erik Gudbranson will undergo surgery to repair ligament damage in his wrist. A projected timeline on Gudbranson's full recovery will be provided after the surgery. 

"Erik suffered ligament damage to his wrist this season that has affected his wrist function," said Benning. "Continued treatment and rehabilitation have not improved his condition and Erik and our Canucks medical team believe that surgery offers the best long-term outcome and are confident in a full recovery. Erik's leadership qualities and strong physical presence will be missed but this is a decision that best supports a long, productive and healthy career."

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

What I am saying is that there will be some interesting things done by teams all over the league in this expansion draft. Exposing a player with a NTC is allowed by the rules and you can be sure that there will be teams that use it to protect younger players.

There also might be players with large contracts and NTC clauses left unprotected thinking that Vegas would not want the salary.

Clubs will not want to lose their youth.

Salary will not be a problem for vegas. They are picking from a group of players that are usually in the 600k - 2 million range (bottom 6 forwards, back up goalies and 4-5 dmen). They are going to have to take athe least 44 million in salary in the draft  (and hit 54 million by puck drop).

This team just can't seem to get luck by their side. With all these injuries, we're going to plummet again just like last season and finish bottom 5 if not dead last. Guddy will be missed by the team and I don't think anyone can replace the way he plays. Edler, Larsen all out also. The team also needs to go on a big winning streak to get back into the playoff picture but it's going to be very difficult and most of you on here probably know that's it's very unrealistic but I could be wrong 

Archived