The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gudbranson out indefinitely after wrist surgery

numb3r 16

"Continued treatment and rehabilitation have not improved his condition and... surgery offers the best long-term outcome."

That suggests that he's been playing with an injured wrist for at least a few weeks for them to have a look at it and how it will function/perform in game. I wonder if the Martin fight had anything to do with it, or if he had his wrist injury even before then.

Best of luck to Gudbranson!

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

A 2nd or 3rd pairing Dman out for 20 games should not and will not make a big difference in the standings for this team at the end of the season. 

Exactly. He has been so bad that this wrist injury probably means we make the playoffs. 

Season is relatively meaningless at this point anyways (I am not a "tank" guy).

You try your best and some years you suck anyways.  Half the teams in the league don't make the playoffs no matter how hard they try.

Anyone with nagging injuries should get treatment/surgeries now so they have time to heal and rehab well before they need to train and prep for next year in the offseason.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Season is relatively meaningless at this point anyways (I am not a "tank" guy).

You try your best and some years you suck anyways.  Half the teams in the league don't make the playoffs no matter how hard they try.

Anyone with nagging injuries should get treatment/surgeries now so they have time to heal and rehab well before they need to train and prep for next year in the offseason.

This team will suck again next year. Rebuilds take several years. 7 to 10 years is normal.

7-10 years is pretty brutal. Sure, teams have taken that long before but it's completely unacceptable and would involve multiple management groups and coaches. 

I agree that we likely won't be a whole lot better next year, but I'm hopeful for the year after that. 

2 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

At this point, I don't see why not. The team needs more offense from the defence anyway, and I think Subban can definitely chip in there. 

I think he should be given a shot. We have nothing to lose. Subban and Stetcher on the PP could be pretty good. Although I don't mind Baertschi on the point.

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

This team will suck again next year. Rebuilds take several years. 7 to 10 years is normal.

I highly doubt we'll take that long. We already have a few good pieces in place and will almost for sure add a few more over the next 2-3 years (prospects, free agents etc.).

13 hours ago, tyhee said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Edit:  the quote isn't coming up on my screen, so in case that isn't just my system, the post being quoted was the one from DonaldBrasher which said:  "

I am not upset about this only because he is an RFA and frankly this will lower his re-sign value. He has not been spectacular by any stretch of the imagination and the last thing this team needs is for him to be signed to a 6 year $40 million deal or some crazy stuff. We have a lot of upcoming d-men in the pipe (Hutton, Stecher, Juolevi, Tryamkin) and Guddy better step up and be a leader cause that's what is expected of him."

That's probably a common sentiment.  It may well lower Gudbranson's cap hit next season.  I wonder, though, about whether it helps the Canucks in the long-term.

If Gudbranson doesn't show well the rest of the season-or can't play much of it-then his value will be lower than it would have been.  Gudbranson and his agent would almost certainly then refuse to sign anything more than a one year contract to provide for the chance for him to only be at the relatively low contract for one season in hopes that in 2017-18 he would have a better season and so a larger contract starting the next season.  If the Canucks won't make a one year offer, he has the right to go to arbitration and get it that way.

The Canucks have a problem in that one more season gets Gudbranson to UFA status.  If they get Gudbranson on a one year extension for 2017-18 (say in an arbitration) then in the summer of 2018 he can go wherever he wants so the Canucks are at risk of having given up McCann, a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder for a 5th rounder and one season of mediocre/hurt Gudbranson plus whatever his performance happens to be in 2017/18.  There would be a temptation for the Canucks' management to overpay to avoid losing him as a free agent.

It's a big risk, but it might be better to just offer him the 4.5-5m per year and lock him up long term now. If he plays as he did in Florida he will be a bargain after 2 seasons. Either way though there are risks, I don't envy being in Jim Benning's shoes right now. Tough decision ahead.

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I highly doubt we'll take that long. We already have a few good pieces in place and will almost for sure add a few more over the next 2-3 years (prospects, free agents etc.).

Add more over the next 2 or 3 years and let them develop which takes 3 to 4 years and there you have it. We are several years away. 

Archived