The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drug Epidemic

CBH1926

The problem with legalization is drugs is too lucrative, so they will come up with something else get people high. And it will probably be even more dangerous and have more long term effects. Not sure what the answer is except to find better uses of one's time, and healthier pursuits. 

26 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I will probably get flamed for this, but the 9 that overdosed in the Downtown Eastside isn't any significant loss IMO. This is just natural selection taking place. 

No judgement here. No flaming. You’re totally in your right to fire off your opinion from your parent’s basement

52 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I will probably get flamed for this, but the 9 that overdosed in the Downtown Eastside isn't any significant loss IMO. This is just natural selection taking place. 

All these people are someone's son, daughter, father, mother, brother, sister etc.

Property taxes to be raised an additional 0.5% to pay for all this.

I hate to sound callous, but when people take up this activity, their next hit can easily be their last.  Everyone and anyone knows that. 

Recreational users, if they die... that's just natural selection.  No different from hooking up with a random stranger and having unprotected sex.  If believe your temporary euphoria is more important than your health and life.... then that's you're prerogative, but the rest of society should not be in any way subsidizing your hazardous lifestyle.

Those who are downtrodden, those with who know what physical, mental and emotional abuse they have suffered, there isn't much you can do for them.  If they really need those drugs to get by... death by OD might just be their final grasp of choice and control over their unfortunate lives.  They probably do not consciously wish to die (nor do they deserve it), but they are not really living in their current state.  

Also.... a little rant.... taxes are to go up to "help" bandage this crisis, yet we keep hearing about how there's the lack of resources for spots for detox.  Sounds like a lot of inefficient spending and lack of proper direction for resources. 

1 hour ago, pluralsight said:

Don't judge someone's battle until you know what they've been through. You don't know what kind of home they were brought up in or any mental health issues that they may be suffering through, etc. What an absolutely horrendous and ignorant thing to say. Keep throwing stones until it happens to a friend/family member or maybe even yourself one day. 

7 minutes ago, smokes said:

There needs to be a serious war on drug, drug dealers who are caught with fentanyl in their product should be charged with negligent homicide.Go after the source and jail as many dealers as possible. Only way to fight it.

Meh, the war on drugs is a joke. I would say that a lot of it should be legalized so people aren't forced to find illegal/impure products. The reason there is a market is because a lot of it is illegal. Make it legal and then all of these gangs/drug dealers can't make as much money as before and the incentive to gain money through these means starts to decrease. 

Dont get me wrong. I'm all for finding the sources of all of these drugs with fentanyl unknowingly contained in it. That's pretty much murder. 

1 hour ago, Traumatic said:

No judgement here. No flaming. You’re totally in your right to fire off your opinion from your parent’s basement

59 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

All these people are someone's son, daughter, father, mother, brother, sister etc.

1 hour ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Not to you apparently, but a little empathy can go along way.

I'm curious as to why you all feel this way. Do the people in the Downtown Eastside have any affect on your life? You can all definitely play the social justice warrior card, but the truth is, what do these people add to society? Sure, it's sad that they died, but perhaps one can argue that our city and our city's resources are better off no longer dealing with these people and their unfortunate circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I'm curious as to why you all feel this way. Do the people in the Downtown Eastside have any affect on your life? You can all definitely play the social justice warrior card, but the truth is, what do these people add to society? Sure, it's sad that they died, but perhaps one can argue that our city and our city's resources are better off no longer dealing with these people and their unfortunate circumstances. 

Dude, you're a tool.  "These people" could very easily be someone you love.  

37 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

Don't judge someone's battle until you know what they've been through. You don't know what kind of home they were brought up in or any mental health issues that they may be suffering through, etc. What an absolutely horrendous and ignorant thing to say. Keep throwing stones until it happens to a friend/family member or maybe even yourself one day. 

Do you know what they've been through? You're right, I don't know, but the majority of people don't have it easy either. The majority of people have choices as well and most of them tend to make the sensible one (believe it or not). I have family members who've gone through drug and alcohol abuse phases in their life and they all found a way to fight through it. 

15 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Do you know what they've been through? You're right, I don't know, but the majority of people don't have it easy either. The majority of people have choices as well and most of them tend to make the sensible one (believe it or not). I have family members who've gone through drug and alcohol abuse phases in their life and they all found a way to fight through it. 

And some aren't so lucky. Maybe if a few things went differently for some of your family members they may have ended up down that path too? I bet you'd love it if someone told you they didn't deserve to live, right? 

Again, you don't know what they've been through. Sometimes it can be one poor choice that can spiral out of control. There are plenty of statistics out their about the higher rate of mental health issues around the DTES.

Archived