The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Juolevi named Captain for Finland for the WJHC

Mackcanuck

12 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Ryan BiechVerified account ‏@ryanbiech  42m42 minutes ago

#Canucks prospect Olli Juolevi has been named captain for Finland for the WJHC

Is Finland any good this year?  Imagine how good they could be with Laine and Poliarvi?

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Finland any good this year?  Imagine how good they could be with Laine and Poliarvi?

Finland will again have a very solid team for this years tournament. They've got a bunch of players that will go in the first round of this years draft and a few that are returning from past tournaments, like Juolevi. It's been a good few years for Finish prospects and they are clearly doing something right. 

I'll try to watch as many games I can with Juolevi this tournament. Good on him for getting the C. Will be their best player. 

Players to watch:
Juolevi, Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Borgstrom, Nattinen, Valimaki, Saarijarvi, Vaakanainen

Basically just a strong team with a lot of depth. Olli will be wearing #7. 

Projected lineup for tonights pre-tournament game (players bolded are on the watchlist, players with stars are projected first rounders for 2017):

33 Eeli Tolvanen* - 25 Julius Nättinen - 22 Arttu Ruotsalainen
9 Janne Kuokkanen - 13 Henrik Borgström - 34 Kristian Vesalainen*
10 Kasper Björkqvist - 20 Julius Mattila - 21 Joona Luoto
24 Aaro Vidgren - 27 Teemu Väyrynen - 35 Otto Koivula
36 Jouka Juhola

12 Juuso Välimäki* - 18 Vili Saarijärvi
7 Olli Juolevi - 2 Miro Heiskanen*
4 Robin Salo* - 29 Otto Leskinen
3 Urho Vaakanainen* - 6 Juho Rautanen

31 Veini Vehviläinen
30 Karolus Kaarlehto

On a side note, Sweden have got a really good team as well this year. They've elected to not pick a lot of right handed defensmen so that could prove to be a weakness. Is it just me, or does Canadas team seem oddly weaker than usual? Wouldn't pick them to even make the finals. 

8 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Finland will again have a very solid team for this years tournament. They've got a bunch of players that will go in the first round of this years draft and a few that are returning from past tournaments, like Juolevi. It's been a good few years for Finish prospects and they are clearly doing something right. 

I'll try to watch as many games I can with Juolevi this tournament. Good on him for getting the C. Will be their best player. 

Players to watch:
Juolevi, Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Borgstrom, Nattinen, Valimaki, Saarijarvi, Vaakanainen

Basically just a strong team with a lot of depth. Olli will be wearing #7. 

Projected lineup for tonights pre-season game:

33 Eeli Tolvanen - 25 Julius Nättinen - 22 Arttu Ruotsalainen
9 Janne Kuokkanen - 13 Henrik Borgström - 34 Kristian Vesalainen
10 Kasper Björkqvist - 20 Julius Mattila - 21 Joona Luoto
24 Aaro Vidgren - 27 Teemu Väyrynen - 35 Otto Koivula
36 Jouka Juhola

12 Juuso Välimäki - 18 Vili Saarijärvi
7 Olli Juolevi - 2 Miro Heiskanen
4 Robin Salo - 29 Otto Leskinen
3 Urho Vaakanainen - 6 Juho Rautanen

31 Veini Vehviläinen
30 Karolus Kaarlehto

On a side note, Sweden have got a really good team as well this year. They've elected to not pick a lot of right handed defensmen so that could prove to be a weakness. Is it just me, or does Canadas team seem oddly weaker than usual? Wouldn't pick them to even make the finals. 

Me either and with Brisbois being cut they don't hold much interest to me...for the first time in my life I am hoping for Finland .

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Same could be said for Canada if they had McDavid, Marner, Konecny, Beauvillier, Crouse, Chychrun and Patrick (who is injured).

Super impressive for Olli to be named captain at 18. That doesn't happen much. 

30 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Same could be said for Canada if they had McDavid, Konecny, Beauvillier, Crouse, Chychrun and Patrick (who is injured).

Super impressive for Olli to be named captain at 18. That doesn't happen much. 

The thought of mcdavid at this tournament just doesn't seem fair

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Is it just me, or does Canadas team seem oddly weaker than usual? Wouldn't pick them to even make the finals. 

They are probably better than last year and I'd expect them to make it further than the quarterfinals. I don't consider it strange that you wouldn't pick them to make the finals, it's not like they've done so on a regular basis. I have them making it to the finals though.

19 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

They are probably better than last year and I'd expect them to make it further than the quarterfinals. I don't consider it strange that you wouldn't pick them to make the finals, it's not like they've done so on a regular basis. I have them making it to the finals though.

Not saying much given that last year's team stunk to high heaven and had a million red flags before they played a single game.

6 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Me either and with Brisbois being cut they don't hold much interest to me...for the first time in my life I am hoping for Finland .

Why did Juolevi give up his #4 too that other guy?  wasnt he # at WJC?

Archived