The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 - 1st Overall Draft Pick

Me_

Considering the Las Vegas Golden knights are getting introduced to the NHL,

Considering the Canucks' involvement into a race to the bottom of the league without much effort,

Considering the league's vendetta against the Canucks as well as the total absence of spectator witness of the actual lottery,

If the Canucks do get to last place in the NHL, who gets The 1st Overall Nolan Patrick in 2017; Vancouver or Las Vegas?

4 minutes ago, Strombone said:

Considering we're the Canucks; even if we finish dead last, we still won't get the 1st overall pick.

Doesn't Vegas get the 31st pick? But then they get the 1st pick in the 2nd round? Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's the first time I've heard anything close to that. 

Vegas will get the same odds as the 28th placed team would (3rd last). Round 2 I believe they will be the third team selecting. 

1 minute ago, DeltaSwede said:

That's the first time I've heard anything close to that. 

Vegas will get the same odds as the 28th placed team would (3rd last). Round 2 I believe they will be the third team selecting. 

Vegas gets the 34 pick

32 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Considering the Canucks' involvement into a race to the bottom of the league without much effort,

Considering the league's vendetta against the Canucks as well as the total absence of spectator witness of the actual lottery,

If the Canucks do get to last place in the NHL, who gets The 1st Overall Nolan Patrick in 2017; Vancouver or Las Vegas?

Utter BS.

If you can't see colossal effort nearly every night then maybe you are not ready to start threads.

36 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Considering.

Considering.

45 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Actually, every eligible team has a representative in attendance to witness the lottery. Put the tinfoli hat away

My understanding is that the Knights will get one of the top 5 lottery picks, but not first. I think it's like the 3rd place lottery spot or something.

EDIT: A quick bit of research gave me the answer to your question.

From NHL.com: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.

The Las Vegas franchise's First Round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft will be determined in accordance with the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery and, as a result, the Las Vegas franchise will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

The Las Vegas franchise then will select third in each subsequent round of the 2017 NHL Draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

1 hour ago, Strombone said:

Considering we're the Canucks; even if we finish dead last, we still won't get the 1st overall pick.

Doesn't Vegas get the 31st pick? But then they get the 1st pick in the 2nd round? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope. They get 3rd spot in the lotto. If luck goes their way they can get 1st OA.

Enjoy: http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

Considering the amount of butt hurt boo hoo no one likes us in this thread I don't really care. 1st to 5th in this draft won't really make a huge difference anyway just draft the BPA honestly we could trade down for for all I care I bet there will be players left at 20 that have the potential to be as good as any of the top 5. 

Archived