The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Eriksson

dpn1

5 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Vegas wouldn't be stupid enough to take him for 5 more years at 6 mil. Not a chance.

Actually this could help them reach the floor..And given a recent mock-up of the team by the Hockey News give them arguably their best forward unless you think Vrbata is better lol.  They took Pedan from Vancouver in this mock-up.

This season is obviously a wash, I'm going to be patient and save my judgement.  Unlike Vrbata, who was great his first year and fizzled out the last year with us, Eriksson could be the opposite. 

Next season our roster will look much different, hopefully we will see Boeser and hopefully a more mature Virtanen. Also potentially Juolevi and a full season of Rodin. Eriksson may find his groove in our lineup then. 

But yes, so far, he sucks.

41 minutes ago, riffraff said:

But is he wrong? At least right now Hip?

I hate this movie 7 minutes in to it is usually indicative of someone who has made their mind up well before hand.

EVERYONE questioned the length and cost of that contract, that is no sparkling revelation and to sit and try to crow over something everyone already hashed over it is just kinda sad

But 3 months in to a 6 year contract...maybe just maybe stop trying to burn down the building until such time as a couple of those seasons have passed

(for reference see my post on page 1 of the signing eriksson thread)

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I hate this movie 7 minutes in to it is usually indicative of someone who has made their mind up well before hand.

EVERYONE questioned the length and cost of that contract, that is no sparkling revelation and to sit and try to crow over something everyone already hashed over it is just kinda sad

But 3 months in to a 6 year contract...maybe just maybe stop trying to burn down the building until such time as a couple of those seasons have passed

(for reference see my post on page 1 of the signing eriksson thread)

I dunno

le is a vet.  Adjustment period?  Maybe. Three months?  I don't think so.

i don't expect a 30 year old to get better into his mid thirties.

but then.  I didn't like the signing from the start.

not only do I not enjoy the movie, I don't like the genre.

It was a mind boggling signing from the get go but I understand why they did it. It was a last ditch effort to aid the Sedins with a complimentary winger that can possibly keep them the first line for a couple more years. Unfortunately the term was horrible but that's what it was gonna take to get Loui here and now more than ever it's evident the Sedins are regressing faster than expected. 

6 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I told everyone on CDC awhile ago that this was a terrible signing, but I got nothing but negatives for it. Most on here think he is a great addition to the club, I don't know why. 

They either don't know hockey or don't want to admit Jim's huge mistake. Either way it's horrible for this hockey club and no team in their right mind would take him now.

ditto.

Even before they signed him.

worst contract in Canuck Histroy

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

$6 Million contract to Eriksson + Luongo's cap recapture when he retires from the Panthers.  That's a sizable chunk of wasted cap money.  Too bad Aquilini was too stingy to buy out that ridiculous contract.

Don't worry about Luongo's deal, it will end like Pronger's.

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

It was a mind boggling signing from the get go but I understand why they did it. It was a last ditch effort to aid the Sedins with a complimentary winger that can possibly keep them the first line for a couple more years. Unfortunately the term was horrible but that's what it was gonna take to get Loui here and now more than ever it's evident the Sedins are regressing faster than expected. 

Not so much the Sedins as it is the rest of the team.

Scott Hartnell is 34, three years older than Loui, and is on pace to have a better year this year than last year. Loui has much better stats than Hartnell over his career and is coming off a 30 goal year. If you think that Loui just fell off a cliff and is now finished at 31 than you are mistaken. 

Just look at that Columbus team and how they are playing versus Vancouver and you can see the difference a real coach makes. Columbus had a higher pick in the draft than Vancouver last year and is currently first overall. They have built a team from the back end out just like Benning is doing. The difference is they are actually playing into a system and the players are executing that system to perfection. While in Vancouver the team is playing as individuals which shows in our team stats. We are at the bottom in most team stats for a reason. I'm not saying we would be a Stanley Cup contender with a different coach but in my opinion this team would be playing much better as a team and having alot more success than they are having now if they upgraded their coaching. 

I wouldn't write off Loui just yet. He needs a better environment and a better system to play in to reach his maximum output.  Let's see what he does next year when Willie is gone and the team has hopefully gotten rid of some of its stale veterans. 

Eriksson is only as good as the players he is playing with and his linemates are not exactly the best passers.. This guy is supposed to be the king of garbage goals and in order to get those goals, his line mates need to get the puck to the front of the net. The line is not doing that so he can't get the garbage.

5 hours ago, Sweathog said:

In general I've been very supportive of Benning, but there's no denying that this was a horrible decision in signing Eriksson. What rebuilding team getting younger signs a 30yr soft forward with concussion issues?!

Why not play Loui with Hank and Danny ?

What do the Canucks have to lose ?

Right now Hank and Danny are lost out there. 

Play Loui 20 games with Hank and Danny and see  how they do .

Hopefully they  re-ignite and all 3 do well.....   then ask Loui if wants to be traded at the TDL to a contender.......

Benning and Willy are the worst GM and coach in the league. 

13 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Not so much the Sedins as it is the rest of the team.

Disagree...it is the Sedins that are declining.  It is just a fact of life that all adults who live long enough to pass their prime realize.   The Sedins are less mobile, their vision isn't quite as sharp and their hand-eye coordination is a little off.  All the precision required to play their style has dropped a little bit and that makes all the difference.  Players like Jagr can still be effective because his game was built on size, power and skating.  His skating has dropped off a bit but with less minutes, he is still a force.  The Sedins were never able to dominate because of size or speed and relied on pinpoint precision passing. That ship has sailed.

Eriksson was signed to play with the Sedins, they have history together

Eriksson signed here to play with the Sedins, they have history together

Eriksson should play with the Sedins, they have history together

Willy refuses to play Eriksson with the Sedins.

Willy has a history on this scenario

Now swap Vrbata's name with Eriksson's 

49 minutes ago, smokes said:

Eriksson is only as good as the players he is playing with and his linemates are not exactly the best passers.. This guy is supposed to be the king of garbage goals and in order to get those goals, his line mates need to get the puck to the front of the net. The line is not doing that so he can't get the garbage.

The thing is, if Eriksson is only as good as his linemates, then why would you sign someone like that when you know his linemates won't be any good? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait a few years for your new core to develop before signing someone like that? 

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

If Eriksson is willing to waive, the Canucks eat part of his salary, and the club taking him agrees to honor his NMC or at least protect him from expansion, there is no reason he can't be traded. 

He could garner a half decent return. We also may see the twins retire at the end of this year.   With the way things are right now, both could get to 1k in points, and hang up the skates. They should be first ballot HOF players and that a heck of great career. Won it all, but the Stanely. 

We would have a ton of cap room and be well on our way to the new core. 

If the sedins retire dont we still have there bucks on the cap next year?

35 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why not play Loui with Hank and Danny ?

What do the Canucks have to lose ?

Right now Hank and Danny are lost out there. 

Play Loui 20 games with Hank and Danny and see  how they do .

Hopefully they  re-ignite and all 3 do well.....   then ask Loui if wants to be traded at the TDL to a contender.......

Benning and Willy are the worst GM and coach in the league. 

While Benning has made his mistakes (Like this signing) I've been generally pleased with the way this team has been progressing so far in this rebuild. The Canucks were always gonna be awful this year, no matter what changes they made this year.

And the worst GM is Sakic, hate to say it but he's been horrible in Colorado. 

Archived