The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drafted players @ World Juniors

CanadianRugby

I was wondering what Canucks were going to the World Juniors and how many players some teams were sending so I did some research.  This is based on Wikipedia so take it for what it's worth ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships_rosters )

The Canucks that have made the teams are:

Lukas Jasek - Czech Republic

Olli Juolevi - Finland (Team Captain)

Of course, Boeser would have been on USA if he wasn't injured.

Here's how many players each team is sending.  Which, in part, shows how many quality but not NHL ready prospects each team has.

8 - Philadelphia

- Tampa Bay

5 - Ottawa - Calgary - Boston

4 - Buffalo - Carolina - Dallas - Minnesota - New Jersey - Toronto

3 - Anaheim - Arizona - Chicago - Columbus - Detroit - Nashville - Islanders - San Jose - St. Louis - Washington - Winnipeg

2 - Colorado - Edmonton - Los Angeles - Montreal - Rangers - Pittsburgh - Vancouver

1 - Florida

Here's the breakdown of how many (out of 22) players on each team have already been drafted. 

Canada - 22

Czech Republic - 9

Denmark - 3

Finland - 9

Latvia - 3

Russia - 10

Slovakia - 4

Sweden - 16

Switzerland - 4

USA - 21

I would put us at 3 because of the injury to a player that was guaranteed to make the roster (Boesser).

Damn Philly dominates, but I wonder how many of those are on weaker teams (like Jasek for the Canucks being on Czech Republic).

It wasn't that long ago I was actually excited about our prospects

Now.....Shinkaruk gone and meh....McCann gone and meh, Virtannen, played a season and is veering towards bust in the minors,  Demko, Goalie is FAR from what this team needs, lottery pick spent on a Dman who is cut early in training camp (captains the Finns, I know, just like Hodgson did with Canada right?) Boewser....yeah looks good, but winger's are the  last piece you ad.

Tymakin and Horvat....money

I really feel history will recognize Benning as one of the Canucks worst drafting GM's

101/30 = 3,37. So even with Boesser playing, average at best. That said, we better hope for a blue-chip return on investment with the guys we have. Rather disappointing given the state of affairs over the past few seasons. Too many bridge moves which are not going to win many games; Etem, Pedan, Clendening etc. while in the lineup Skille, Chaput and the other guy who`s tearing it up. We could have had more prospects, although, perhaps not more in this tournament unless we`re drafting more from the smaller hockey nations. Then it`s easy to skew the numbers.

15 hours ago, c00kies said:

I would put us at 3 because of the injury to a player that was guaranteed to make the roster (Boesser).

Damn Philly dominates, but I wonder how many of those are on weaker teams (like Jasek for the Canucks being on Czech Republic).

And they did not release Konecny or Provorov.  They actually have 9 players:

Canada:  G Carter Hart (2016 2nd) / D Philippe Myers (undrafted)

USA: Tanner Laczynski (2016 6th)

Sweden: G Felix Sandstrom (2015 3rd) / D David Bernhardt (2016 7th)

Slovakia: G Matej Tomek (2015 3rd)

Russia: German Rubtsov (2016 1st) / Mikhail Vorobyov (2015 4th)

Czech Republic: David Kase (2015 5th)

4 hours ago, mll said:

And they did not release Konecny or Provorov.  They actually have 9 players:

Canada:  G Carter Hart (2016 2nd) / D Philippe Myers (undrafted)

USA: Tanner Laczynski (2016 6th)

Sweden: G Felix Sandstrom (2015 3rd) / D David Bernhardt (2016 7th)

Slovakia: G Matej Tomek (2015 3rd)

Russia: German Rubtsov (2016 1st) / Mikhail Vorobyov (2015 4th)

Czech Republic: David Kase (2015 5th)

And we are rebuilding?  :lol:

JB better start trading the old guard for draft picks! 

7 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

It wasn't that long ago I was actually excited about our prospects

Now.....Shinkaruk gone and meh....McCann gone and meh, Virtannen, played a season and is veering towards bust in the minors,  Demko, Goalie is FAR from what this team needs, lottery pick spent on a Dman who is cut early in training camp (captains the Finns, I know, just like Hodgson did with Canada right?) Boewser....yeah looks good, but winger's are the  last piece you ad.

Tymakin and Horvat....money

I really feel history will recognize Benning as one of the Canucks worst drafting GM's

Lots of negativity here,(not surprising from this poster)...Miller is 36,he's not going to be here forever,we do need a succession plan for goalies...Even when drafted,it was pretty much a given the Juolevi would go back to Junior.....Benning has already exceeded Gillis'drafting record. 

Archived