The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs. Slovakia | Group B | Dec. 27 | 5:00 PM PT

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Dubois hasn't had much impact for a third overall pick.

Slick pass for the primary assist on the 2knd goal?

He was better tonight anyway...  Barzal, Jost + the energy guys Speers & Cirelli, Dube all looked better to be fair over two games.  

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Player of the Game for Slovakia: Erik Cernak

Player of the Game for Canada: Thomas Chabot

Should've been Huska. This game would be like the Latvia vs Russia game if not for him. Only can fault him for one of the goals and that was after making 3 great stops. NYR should be happy.

Another solid game for Canada. Just wish there was more finish but Huska played great. 

One thing I've really noticed is Strome's hockey IQ. He makes numerous very low percentage plays. He is a pure scorer, so it's understandable, but he needs to round out his game if he ever hopes of sticking with the Yotes. 

6 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Another solid game for Canada. Just wish there was more finish but Huska played great. 

One thing I've really noticed is Strome's hockey IQ. He makes numerous very low percentage plays. He is a pure scorer, so it's understandable, but he needs to round out his game if he ever hopes of sticking with the Yotes. 

Yeah despite the points he's putting up I just find myself wanting to see more from him. I find him a touch overrated, but the talent level is obvious. PLD and Chabot are two other guys I've been a little disappointed by. PLD has some obvious natural gifts- he's so big, with some impressively broad/square shoulders, and skates well- but doesn't seem to have that high-end talent. I wonder how much he'll score at the NHL level.

Flame away experts.

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah despite the points he's putting up I just find myself wanting to see more from him. I find him a touch overrated, but the talent level is obvious. PLD and Chabot are two other guys I've been a little disappointed by. PLD has some obvious natural gifts- he's so big, with some impressively broad/square shoulders, and skates well- but doesn't seem to have that high-end talent. I wonder how much he'll score at the NHL level.

Flame away experts.

I agree with you on PLD.  He looks slow.  Another guy I'm not impressed with is Jost.  I thought he would be better on the rush.

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree with you on PLD.  He looks slow.  Another guy I'm not impressed with is Jost.  I thought he would be better on the rush.

I thought Jost has been their second best forward behind Barzal. I watched him a few times in Penticton and he dominated every shift against lesser talent but sure doesn't look out of place at the WJC. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Jost?! Have you watched the games? He has easily been the most noticeable forward by a HUGE margin...

4 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Flame away experts.

Yeah I do believe Strome is in fact overrated. No one can deny the points he has put up in Erie (even without McDavid) but that doesn't mean much the NHL.

PLD definitely not noticeable. He isn't THAT big either. 6'2-6'3 200 pounds by today's NHL standards is only a bit above average. 

Archived