The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Your menu is so diverse and amazing.  They will come. Even winter can't keep a foodie away.

I appreciate it. Most of our friends out here aren’t foodies, so they just like that I cook for them.

But when my aunt and father in-law loved my food, that’s when I knew I was on to something. Aunt’s parents (and two brothers) own several restaurants. And my mother in-law is a phenomenal cook and sister in-law is a terrific baker, so when my father in-law, who I don’t really talk to very often (zero in common), kept gushing over my food I made over the summer when they visited. Was nice. Started to think that, aside from my awesome company, I can also gift people with my cooking.

And, of course, you’re welcome anytime.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Pretty sure I could damage most of that tray and bowl.

Oh me too. Gotta let the kids eat though.

Thinking I need to increase from 3 breasts to 4 or 5 and double the pasta.

Both the boy and I coulda kept going, wife was glad nothing was left - "diet". Only my daughter was full.

I love having the leftovers in a grilled panini 

• Upvote 1
Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Just came from a memorial for an old family friend at the Steveston (Britannia) Chinese bunkhouse.   Catered by Hog Shack. OMG.

img_3800.jpg

That’s a lot of food. I’m a such a lightweight. I could eat maybe half the ribs and I would be done.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

That’s a lot of food. I’m a such a lightweight. I could eat maybe half the ribs and I would be done.

There was also chicken, croissants filled with roast beef, turkey and ham, home made cabbage rolls, etc.   TOO MUCH FOOD if that's a thing?

Haha, going to the gym now.  Feel like I have to (didn't even make it to the dessert table).

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Monty said:

I appreciate it. Most of our friends out here aren’t foodies, so they just like that I cook for them.

But when my aunt and father in-law loved my food, that’s when I knew I was on to something. Aunt’s parents (and two brothers) own several restaurants. And my mother in-law is a phenomenal cook and sister in-law is a terrific baker, so when my father in-law, who I don’t really talk to very often (zero in common), kept gushing over my food I made over the summer when they visited. Was nice. Started to think that, aside from my awesome company, I can also gift people with my cooking.

And, of course, you’re welcome anytime.

Ye you got skills for sure. I mean cooking is one thing but baking another entirely.  I find baking difficult because of the strict recipe, cook time and temp etc.

when cooking I most often eyeball everything and taste taste along the way.  People seem pleased though.

and I love to prepare for friends and family.  Fun for me.

• Upvote 1
Just now, riffraff said:

Ye you got skills for sure. I mean cooking is one thing but baking another entirely.  I find baking difficult because of the strict recipe, cook time and temp etc

Baking IS NOT easy. Much prefer meals, for the exact reason you said. However, the more confident I’ve become in cooking, and successful in first attempts as well, I’ve become a lot more willing to bake. Those brioche buns I’ve made a few times were nearly perfect the first time I made them. Then, it was just a matter of tweaking them each time before I got it right. Same with Creme Brule I’ve made frequently.

Definitely need to follow directions closely; but the more you do it, the more you learn what can/should be substituted. More importantly, you learn your oven, which definitely effects baking times.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

and I love to prepare for friends and family.  Fun for me.

This for sure. I used to only cook for family and friends, and it still gives me an enormous amount of joy. Love to see people enjoying my food.

This is sort of weird, and I feel a little bad that I get joy in it, but a small part of my motivation for cooking for friends and family is so they feel like they aren’t cooking nearly as well as they should at their place. Our best friends had a small fight one night at our place because the husband actually said, “Wow, I’ve never had anything even close to this good at home.” His wife does all the cooking, so it was a very tense couple of minutes.

However, I’m at the point now where I would cook really well just for myself, as it’s now become a hobby. Want to see if I can either outdo myself the last time I made something, or the challenge of conquering a new recipe.

• Upvote 2
42 minutes ago, Monty said:

Baking IS NOT easy. Much prefer meals, for the exact reason you said. However, the more confident I’ve become in cooking, and successful in first attempts as well, I’ve become a lot more willing to bake. Those brioche buns I’ve made a few times were nearly perfect the first time I made them. Then, it was just a matter of tweaking them each time before I got it right. Same with Creme Brule I’ve made frequently.

Definitely need to follow directions closely; but the more you do it, the more you learn what can/should be substituted. More importantly, you learn your oven, which definitely effects baking times.

This for sure. I used to only cook for family and friends, and it still gives me an enormous amount of joy. Love to see people enjoying my food.

This is sort of weird, and I feel a little bad that I get joy in it, but a small part of my motivation for cooking for friends and family is so they feel like they aren’t cooking nearly as well as they should at their place. Our best friends had a small fight one night at our place because the husband actually said, “Wow, I’ve never had anything even close to this good at home.” His wife does all the cooking, so it was a very tense couple of minutes.

However, I’m at the point now where I would cook really well just for myself, as it’s now become a hobby. Want to see if I can either outdo myself the last time I made something, or the challenge of conquering a new recipe.

Makes sense.  The last story there.

pretty health conscious here.  Although I'll poke back a couple cheeseburgers I generally use the best ingredients/foods that are available.

good stuff Monty.

Ummm, I forgot how to share (on the intrawebs). Sorry bout the pic. Lol

5hrs slow and low after a sear.

One rack- bacon on a bone, for my Ladies

Other rack- sweet chili heat (Louisiana inspired, but a bit sweeter) for me and the young dude.

Garlic mash, corn, slaw.

My stomach's not quite done with summer. But this was all cooked in the kitchen, it sucks outside.

DSC_0068.JPG

• Upvote 3
  • 3 weeks later...