The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

Been a while since I posted some food. Made this tonight and about to dig in. It’s braised beef short ribs (called Peposo). Cook for 3 1/2 hours, turning every once in a while. Served on mashed potatoes.

ABFA6A13-0E31-46F1-83C7-F50DBCC41177.thumb.jpeg.6a66b8bf1cddd89b093d53e5ba9776e3.jpeg

B85ABDAF-AEDC-433C-A253-251E79B2DCDB.thumb.jpeg.d5d3e2ec5447a48b1c93d137b5a4b0ad.jpeg

Just finished. Wow!!! In-cre-di-ble!!!!

Out of everything I’ve cooked in the last 6 months or so, easily the best. I love the pasta I make, which is phenomenal; but this was absolutely exquisite. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven’t posted pics in a while, but haven’t let up on my cooking.

My brother, who’s wife left him a few weeks ago (and he has 3 young boys with her), has been down in the dumps. So yesterday I cooked him his favourite dinner that my mom made for him every birthday growing up. Center Pork Loin with Mustard Sauce. However, my mom’s recipe (cookbook back in the early 80s) called to throw the Loin in the oven, as is (WTF?). So I seasoned it with several cloves of garlic, dried rosemary, and kosher salt (marinated for a few hours). Then used a white wine sauce with the leftover juices from the pan (along with the mustard sauce).

My brother, who’s usually very guarded with his feelings, was very touched. Doesn’t even remember the last time someone cooked that for him. Probably my mom 20 years ago. Should have taken pics, but was too busy enjoying his company.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
On 2018-01-21 at 4:18 PM, Monty said:

Haven’t posted pics in a while, but haven’t let up on my cooking.

My brother, who’s wife left him a few weeks ago (and he has 3 young boys with her), has been down in the dumps. So yesterday I cooked him his favourite dinner that my mom made for him every birthday growing up. Center Pork Loin with Mustard Sauce. However, my mom’s recipe (cookbook back in the early 80s) called to throw the Loin in the oven, as is (WTF?). So I seasoned it with several cloves of garlic, dried rosemary, and kosher salt (marinated for a few hours). Then used a white wine sauce with the leftover juices from the pan (along with the mustard sauce).

My brother, who’s usually very guarded with his feelings, was very touched. Doesn’t even remember the last time someone cooked that for him. Probably my mom 20 years ago. Should have taken pics, but was too busy enjoying his company.

You're the best 

• Like 1
On 2018-01-22 at 9:43 PM, riffraff said:

You're the best 

Thanks.

While I’ve always loved cooking, it’s really turned into something much bigger than before. For quite a while, I loved cooking, but more for the challenge. I was cooking things that took hours to make. Not only prep, but constantly checking things. While it was fun and tasty, very few of the recipes were actually practical for an everyday household.

But now, it’s transformed into a way to make people feel good and cared about. I still put everything into my cooking, but won’t spend hours making something (not counting marinating). If I’m making burgers, pasta, fish, or whatever, I want to make things that I’d cook every week, but making sure I’m not giving up quality. It’s at the point where I wouldn’t go to a restaurant to order steak, pasta, or burgers anymore, because I’m convinced (as is my wife), that mine is way better. Not fish though, but that has a lot to do with living in Manitoba.

One of the best feelings before when I cooked was seeing people clean their plates. Now, it’s seeing people go up for seconds. At Christmas, I made my new speciality, Peposo (pic at top of page) (beef short rib cooked in red wine, etc) for my mom and step dad. My mom, who’s a small lady and watches what she eats (rarely eats red meat), went up for seconds and finished everything. I’d never seen that before. Was so touched.

And I start to see that with my 15 month old daughter now. Made my also special pasta and chicken marsala, and today, after each bite, she made an audible (Mmmmm!) after each bite. She did this once before with my pasta, and it’s the only food she does it for.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Thanks.

While I’ve always loved cooking, it’s really turned into something much bigger than before. For quite a while, I loved cooking, but more for the challenge. I was cooking things that took hours to make. Not only prep, but constantly checking things. While it was fun and tasty, very few of the recipes were actually practical for an everyday household.

But now, it’s transformed into a way to make people feel good and cared about. I still put everything into my cooking, but won’t spend hours making something (not counting marinating). If I’m making burgers, pasta, fish, or whatever, I want to make things that I’d cook every week, but making sure I’m not giving up quality. It’s at the point where I wouldn’t go to a restaurant to order steak, pasta, or burgers anymore, because I’m convinced (as is my wife), that mine is way better. Not fish though, but that has a lot to do with living in Manitoba.

One of the best feelings before when I cooked was seeing people clean their plates. Now, it’s seeing people go up for seconds. At Christmas, I made my new speciality, Peposo (pic at top of page) (beef short rib cooked in red wine, etc) for my mom and step dad. My mom, who’s a small lady and watches what she eats (rarely eats red meat), when up for seconds and finished everything. I’d never seen that before. Was so touched.

And I start to see that with my 15 month old daughter now. Made my also special pasta and chicken marsala, and today, after each bite, she made an audible (Mmmmm!) after each bite. She did this once before with my pasta, and it’s the only food she does it for.

Exactly.

everything I have listed here I have made for someone and more of course.

certainly i love food and cooking but right there with that is the part of me that wants to give something meaningful to someone whether they be family, friend, or potential new friend.  What better way than to share one of life's basics.

i have three kids now and my youngest two, (daughters 4,7), are both up on the counter getting in on the action.  Couldn't be happier sharing that time.

• Cheers 1

Because I like me some breakfast sandwiches (a little too much at times), I finally cooked my own yesterday for dinner. Another winner!

Not at the point where I’ll make English Muffins from scratch, but may do that next time. However, it was so tasty. I’ll take pictures tonight, as it will be my dinner again, as I have leftover pork to make into patties. Lots of spices in the meat, and chives in the eggs. Topped with cheese and Sriracha.

Guys, If I lived in BC, you’d all be welcome to come over. If ever in MB, same.

• 3 weeks later...

Been trying to break in this "InstaPot" pressure cooker I got during boxing week.

Thus far, it turned a chuck into a large puck that was dry as f***. 

Produced a chili that was lacking depth and character.

A very average mexican pork shoulder

Oh, and meatballs that &^@#ing fell apart.

I hate it.

I've always taken my sweet ass time to create amazing tasting dishes and had heard these things give you that "loved all day" feel without having to love it all day. I'm not defeated yet, I'll tweak the timing and recipies on those dishes and see, but as of right now. I &^@#ing hate that thing and wouldn't recommend one to anybody who loves cooking, or eating.

• Cheers 1
12 hours ago, luckylager said:

Been trying to break in this "InstaPot" pressure cooker I got during boxing week.

I hate it.

I've always taken my sweet ass time to create amazing tasting dishes and had heard these things give you that "loved all day" feel without having to love it all day. I'm not defeated yet, I'll tweak the timing and recipies on those dishes and see, but as of right now. I &^@#ing hate that thing and wouldn't recommend one to anybody who loves cooking, or eating.

My wife was trying to get me to use ours....

i was making a morroccan(sp) vegetarian stew for her and of course I stuck to my guns and went slow cooker.  Cos you know, I love her and I can't remove slow burning love from any meal.

thanks for testing out that new fangled doohickey lucky.  I owe you a tenderloin.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
17 hours ago, luckylager said:

I hate it.

there pretty not bad once you get the timing right for the food your cooking, but yeah ive had some terrible dry food from them before, but i got some luckys and steak(rib eye) for tonight.

• Cheers 1
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:19 PM, luckylager said:

I hate it.

It took some adjusting for me too.   I pretty much have it figured out now though.  The pulled pork I make in it is awesome and I think it's done in 90 min. 

I'm a potato freak so I use mine a lot because the it cooks them so fast.