The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

13 hours ago, Monty said:

:lol: 

I love Blue Cheese, but damn! That’ll definitely ruin lasagna for me :lol: 

There you go! Lasagna was my favourite dinner growing up. My mom always made it for my birthday (I always requested it).

Today, I don’t have it too often (once or twice a year). But I will flat out refuse to eat it if there is no spinach in it. Actually did last summer when I saw my in-laws. They were fine, though, as it was a huge pot-lock, so it’s not as if I didn’t eat anything. But I wasn’t going to eat a bastardized version :lol: 

Oh man, here we go...

I flat out refuse to eat lasagna if it HAS spinach, zucchini, or the all time worst - eggplant in it. Guess what? Cannellini beans aren't ever supposed to be in a lasagna either. All of those things insult the word lasagna.

I'm biased though. I make one of the best lasagnas on earth. I take as much pride in it as in my risottos.

I've also eaten many $&!#ty lasagnas prepared by restaurants, friends and family. I feel I'm an expert in my field! Lol

The "secret" is making your own bolognese from scratch, except it's different than a standard bolognese. More toms, herbs, garlic, salt, chilis, salt; stewed. Then layering properly, baking, and letting it set before serving... Start to table is about 5hrs depending on the tomatoes.

I always make them in pairs and freeze one. 

Side note - I make my own pasta sometimes, but for whatever reason I couldn't make a sheet that doesn't just turn to mushy poo in a lasagna, so I stopped trying years ago.

Ever make your own ravioli? I do...

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, luckylager said:

Oh man, here we go...

I flat out refuse to eat lasagna if it HAS spinach, zucchini, or the all time worst - eggplant in it. Guess what? Cannellini beans aren't ever supposed to be in a lasagna either. All of those things insult the word lasagna.

I'm biased though. I make one of the best lasagnas on earth. I take as much pride in it as in my risottos.

I've also eaten many $&!#ty lasagnas prepared by restaurants, friends and family. I feel I'm an expert in my field! Lol

The "secret" is making your own bolognese from scratch, except it's different than a standard bolognese. More toms, herbs, garlic, salt, chilis, salt; stewed. Then layering properly, baking, and letting it set before serving... Start to table is about 5hrs depending on the tomatoes.

I always make them in pairs and freeze one. 

Side note - I make my own pasta sometimes, but for whatever reason I couldn't make a sheet that doesn't just turn to mushy poo in a lasagna, so I stopped trying years ago.

Ever make your own ravioli? I do...

Don’t think I’ve ever made or had a Lasagna with Cannellini beans in it. I have had eggplant, which I thought was a decent substitute for those that are vegetarian. Although, I can’t wrap my head around not eating meat.

I’ve never made risotto or my own pasta noodles from scratch. I have thought about it, as I know that ravioli is the best introduction to them. I think, aside from time, I don’t want to make them because I don’t want to buy a pasta machine (hand crank). While my house isn’t small, my kitchen has limited space. I blame this on my wife, as I do 90% of the cooking, but she’s a boarderline hoarder and refuses to let me get rid of unnecessary things, like TWO FONDUE SETS!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Monty said:

Don’t think I’ve ever made or had a Lasagna with Cannellini beans in it. I have had eggplant, which I thought was a decent substitute for those that are vegetarian. Although, I can’t wrap my head around not eating meat.

I've had lasagna with eggplant and meat - the eggplant was a substitute for noodles. It wasn't bad, actually.

I don't really get to eat any now though, because I've had to go off dairy, stomach just can't handle it now. Although, last month I experimented with Manchego (cheese made from sheep's milk), and it tasted great. Manchego kind of tastes like a cross between aged cheddar and parmesan, but slightly sweeter. (It used to be very expensive, as it was only at health foods stores, but now Costco carries it.) It melted nice too - good texture, but just a bit oilier than with regular cheese. If I was eating dairy, I'd probably try mixing some Manchego with other cheeses...I bet it would be really nice.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

...she’s a boarderline hoarder and refuses to let me get rid of unnecessary things, like TWO FONDUE SETS!

:lol::lol:

My wife also has 2 fondue pots. We never use either of them (we were given them by other people who realized they never used them either). But one day that fondue party will definitely happen, right?

Edited by D-Money
2 hours ago, D-Money said:

My wife also has 2 fondue pots. We never use either of them (we were given them by other people who realized they never used them either). But one day that fondue party will definitely happen, right?

We had 4 family members stay at our place over the holidays, and my wife decided to haul it out for everyone to have while we watched a movie.

She was the only person that had some :lol: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Monty said:

We had 4 family members stay at our place over the holidays, and my wife decided to haul it out for everyone to have while we watched a movie.

She was the only person that had some :lol: 

aw man, when I was a kid we always had fondu for new years eve. It was sooo good. also chocolate and cheese (separately)are really good too.

12 hours ago, Monty said:

I’ve never made risotto or my own pasta noodles from scratch. I have thought about it, as I know that ravioli is the best introduction to them. I think, aside from time, I don’t want to make them because I don’t want to buy a pasta machine (hand crank). While my house isn’t small, my kitchen has limited space. I blame this on my wife, as I do 90% of the cooking, but she’s a boarderline hoarder and refuses to let me get rid of unnecessary things, like TWO FONDUE SETS!

A buddy's wife takes her fondues very seriously. Best fondues ever, she has 4 fondue pots going at a time - oil, cheese, a different cheese (racqulette or something) and chocolate.

The oil pot is for cooking the steak strips and prawns.

Edit- I've never prepared a fondue. They're yummy, but bung me up every time.

Edited by luckylager
20 minutes ago, luckylager said:

A buddy's wife takes her fondues very seriously. Best fondues ever, she has 4 fondue pots going at a time - oil, cheese, a different cheese (racqulette or something) and chocolate.

The oil pot is for cooking the steak strips and prawns.

Edit- I've never prepared a fondue. They're yummy, but bung me up every time.

Best fondue I’ve ever had was at The Grizzly House in Banff. Love oil fondue for cooking meat.

I’m not a fan of cheese or chocolate fondues.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Best fondue I’ve ever had was at The Grizzly House in Banff. Love oil fondue for cooking meat.

I’m not a fan of cheese or chocolate fondues.

I pride myself in cookery, but fondue is one thing I've never touched.

Mostly because it takes me a day or two to have a BM afterwards

• Haha 1

Made Pad Thai twice in the last week (thanks to our Wok). Each time using a much different take/recipe, both times were incredibly tasty.

By far the easiest (as far as prep and amount of ingredients) and quickest of all the regular meals in our rotation.

• Cheers 1

Just finished eating a classic Sunday dinner of roasted chicken, garlic mashed taters, steamed peas n carrots, green salad and sourdough buns.

Crammed the chicky with rosemary and sage (from the garden), garlic.

Dry rub the bird with lots of sea salt, pepper, herb de Provence, poultry seasoning, garlic powder. Let it rest for a few hours in the rub, stuffed, on the counter (totally not "foodsafe") at room temp.

Pour some olive oil in a small bowl and brush it over the bird before roasting.

Boil yer taters on medium heat with a garlic clove, or two. Mash with a &^@# ton of butter, salt, bit o pepper, bit o parsley, milk.

All in all, one of my fave Sunday dinners because it's really easy.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Whipped up some veg chili...comfort food for the snowy day.  Used Gardein beefless ground...loving the options out there lately.  Onion, garlic, tri coloured peppers (they appear to be hiding), mushrooms, grape tomatoes (I love them, as you can tell), chick peas, white kidney beans, cumin, chilis,  V-8 juice, chili powder, s/p and just a bit of brown sugar.

image.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Whipped up some veg chili...comfort food for the snowy day.  Used Gardein beefless ground...loving the options out there lately.  Onion, garlic, tri coloured peppers (they appear to be hiding), mushrooms, grape tomatoes (I love them, as you can tell), chick peas, white kidney beans, cumin, chilis,  V-8 juice, chili powder, s/p and just a bit of brown sugar.

image.png

When did you add the grape tomatoes? I'm amazed at their seemingly pristine condition.

Busted out the cast iron wok...seared up some veggies and tried out making cauliflower rice as I am cutting carbs.  Worked out well.  I wouldn't have the 'rice' on its own but 2 cups worth added to 5 cups of meat and veggies worked out well. 

I want to get some sprouted brown rice but couldn't find any in town.