The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

Made slow beef tacos on homemade corn tortillas, jalepeno pepper and beer black beaners, and all the fixings.

Drank Phillip's Pilsner and a tullamore dew while making the tortillas, beaners and prepping the veg.

Had an Irish coffee this morning when I started the slow beef.

Drank more beer with dinner, the wife had some Cab Sauv and the kids drank milk.

I'm still drinking beer with a side car of Tully. I'll probably graduate to Macallen Speyside once the kidlets go to bed, although, I haven't yet opened my Xmas present bottle of Laphroig quarter cask.... The stuff is crazy to the peat side of the spec... But it's cold and I could use the heat. Laphroig it is!

Edited by luckylager
On 12/27/2016 at 2:23 PM, thejazz97 said:

Footlong Subway BLT on Herbs and Cheese, shredded cheese or Swiss, toasted, with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickles, onions, jalapeños, banana peppers, and chipotle sauce.

Pizza sub on Herb an Cheese, any cheese, bacon and extra cheese, Onions, Olives, Green Peppers, Jalapenos(optional), THEN TOASTED(Important), tomatoes, a tiny bit of lettuce and spinach, pickles(If you're feeling adventurous), Salt and Pepper, Parmesan cheese and a tiny bit of light mayo.

You're all welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

The family ate before I got home from work, because my super sexy and wickedly smart wife is back in college (night classes) to further her career.

So, I got the kiddo's all snacked, bathed and off to bed then I made my favorite guilty dinner pleasure - 

Breakfast for dinner! F**k yes!

Eggs Benny w/ double smoked bacon, tomato, avacodo and fried chilli pepper. Smothered in homemade hollandaise (bit of the Wifey's white wine and some squeezed OJ to bind the fats). Double baked hashbrown rounds from a leftover baked potato (super crispy) and the rest of the orange I juiced.

Hell's bells!

• Upvote 2

Nothing special tonight but......

today I had got a craving for deluxe baked potatoes so I went out and purchased the requirements including bacon (not bacon bits).

tomorrow night I'll probably eat four or five.  I'll introduce this underrated delicacy to the kids to help me further decide which of the three is my favourite.

ive been working on my house for the last week so that combined with some solid home cooking has been very rewarding.

• Cheers 1

I got an ANOVA cooker (sous vide).

So far I've done steak and different types of chicken. I want to get a torch to get some bark on the steak. I'm trying butter chicken in the ANOVA tonight.

I've also been cooking a lot of pulled pork. Slow cooker-style and low heat in the oven. Secret to the slow cooker: build a contraption to allow your meat to sit above any liquid so that it doesn't get that soupy feel. 

On 12/27/2016 at 2:18 PM, riffraff said:

for my vegetarian wife specifically:

rice, and veggie feta stuffed eggplant

Your wife is a vegetarian?  There's still hope for you yet pal ;)

Day off so I'm in charge of dinner:

Seared Brussel Sprouts & garlic

Cauliflower rice

Breaded tofu

Sauteed mushrooms in Miso Gravy dumped on everything haha.  I like my food salty and savory what can I say

Pretty simple go to meal at our place.  I like your idea of tunes while cooking.  Thinking of going with this:

9 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Your wife is a vegetarian?  There's still hope for you yet pal ;)

Day off so I'm in charge of dinner:

Seared Brussel Sprouts & garlic

Cauliflower rice

Breaded tofu

Sauteed mushrooms in Miso Gravy dumped on everything haha.  I like my food salty and savory what can I say

Pretty simple go to meal at our place.  I like your idea of tunes while cooking.  Thinking of going with this:

Ah man she's all over me all the time about my murderous menus.

when we met she ate seafood and thats it for meat.  But in the last few years not even that.  She's a lover of all animals and also believe that a healthy meatless diet is the enlightened way.

only when pregnant she's had the odd steak to keep the iron count up.

i just make up all kinds of excuses as to why I do what I do, i suppose, in the eyes of a veggie. 

But  I love cooking, and I love her so I make separate meals all the time.

tonight is a tomatoe based Mediterranean dish with rice and garlic and feta all baked in a dish.

ill add prawns to my portion.:ph34r:

edit:

nice music.  Years ago I bought the "last king of Scotland" soundtrack on cd. Some good Afro funk on it.

Edited by riffraff
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Ah man she's all over me all the time about my murderous menus.

when we met she ate seafood and thats it for meat.  But in the last few years not even that.  She's a lover of all animals and also believe that a healthy meatless diet is the enlightened way.

only when pregnant she's had the odd steak to keep the iron count up.

i just make up all kinds of excuses as to why I do what I do, i suppose, in the eyes of a veggie. 

But  I love cooking, and I love her so I make separate meals all the time.

tonight is a tomatoe based Mediterranean dish with rice and garlic and feta all baked in a dish.

ill add prawns to my portion.:ph34r:

edit:

nice music.  Years ago I bought the "last king of Scotland" soundtrack on cd. Some good Afro funk on it.

lol.  I'm definitely not harpin' on ya- just a friendly jab.  Sounds like you two have a good time together :)

Your meal sounds right up my alley too.  Kind of making we want to switch it up now haha

And since I've listened to that Ethoipiques LP a bunch, I think I'll give that sound track a try instead

14 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

lol.  I'm definitely not harpin' on ya- just a friendly jab.  Sounds like you two have a good time together :)

Your meal sounds right up my alley too.  Kind of making we want to switch it up now haha

And since I've listened to that Ethoipiques LP a bunch, I think I'll give that sound track a try instead

No no

i know you're just razzing....

its always been been a good back and forth between the missus and myself.  And I suppose I have cut back on meat since we've been together.  For example I've been vegetarian so far today.lol

so the feta bake goes as follows

boil a cup and a half of rice(whatever type you prefer)

in baking dish:

place boiled rice ice in the bottom of the dish

4-6 chopped tomatoes

lots of chopped garlic

frest basil

olive oil

geneous helping of crumbled feta on top

bake covered till tomatoes appear reduced 

uncover, chuck on some chopped parsley if you wish, bake uncovered till the feta is lightly crisped

edit 

to meatify:  add shrimp or prawn when you place the dish in at the uncovered stage.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 1

I'm so enticed with this place!  And that I don't have to walk far home. This is another Tom Douglas establishment that opened I think months ago called The Carlile Room. They play music from the 60's and 70's, and I'm so excited for the Happy Hour!

And I find the Book of Booze to be funny!

20170120_221708_Film1-1.jpg

• Upvote 1