The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

13 minutes ago, brilac said:

Gosh!  You're making me hungry!

Was amazing. Absolutely amazing.

No joke, my wife looked at me after taking her first few bites and said, “Ok, you’re getting something extra special tonight. You’ve outdone yourself.”

Basically, this was the best thing I’ve made.

• Like 1

26 degrees. No wind. No mosquitos. Gorgeous MB evening. Nothing better than the below, while listening to Jean Knight (Mr Big Stuff) and a bunch of other oldies. And yes, I’m well aware I need to upgrade my BBQ. 14 year old BBQ, and I’m no longer 23. Might be getting a new one any day/week, now.

DA526A62-7F81-477F-A0A2-E14C11D5AB1A.jpeg

FE4BCA5E-2CCE-408F-8A74-12536721A353.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
52 minutes ago, Monty said:

Corn. That is all.

F149C404-84C3-4B98-AAC1-4BA12373BC00.jpeg

Do you ever BBQ your corn with (most of the) husk still on?

I find it keeps it a bit more tender and juicy, bonus is you get to look like a full blown hick while holding onto a big handful of husk mowing down an ear.

12 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Do you ever BBQ your corn with (most of the) husk still on?

I find it keeps it a bit more tender and juicy, bonus is you get to look like a full blown hick while holding onto a big handful of husk mowing down an ear.

Honestly, I’ve cooked it that way my entire life, EXCEPT these last two times. I was watching a cooking thing online to make Elote, and he recommend wrapping the corn in seran wrap and sticking in the microwave for 5 minutes. Then when you take it out, put it on the BBQ to char the outside, as it adds taste. 

But this is strictly for my Elote recipe I did. When I make plain corn on the cob, then I’ll do husk on.

• Cheers 1
16 minutes ago, Monty said:

Honestly, I’ve cooked it that way my entire life, EXCEPT these last two times. I was watching a cooking thing online to make Elote, and he recommend wrapping the corn in seran wrap and sticking in the microwave for 5 minutes. Then when you take it out, put it on the BBQ to char the outside, as it adds taste. 

But this is strictly for my Elote recipe I did. When I make plain corn on the cob, then I’ll do husk on.

Could boil it first. Call me a hippy, but microwaves and plastic freak me out. Besides, it's "Mexican street corn", Mexicans just grill it. And drink tequila, and laugh

19 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Could boil it first. Call me a hippy, but microwaves and plastic freak me out. Besides, it's "Mexican street corn", Mexicans just grill it. And drink tequila, and laugh

Thought about that, but for me with a family, it’s all about shaving off as much time and limited dishes as possible. As it is, charing the corn perfectly already takes about 10 minutes itself. Then there’s the garlic butter, the crumbling the parm, etc, etc, etc.

• 1 month later...

Homemade stuffed crust pizza. Pepperoni and maple bacon toppings. But this whole thing was a masterpiece. Dough made from scratch was a garlic dough I made (oregano and garlic cloves added). Brushed the crust after I took it out of the oven with garlic butter. 

This may have been the best pizza I’ve ever eaten.

D3F28228-0D5D-4EE5-B8FB-FED0CA6700DB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
On 7/9/2019 at 5:03 PM, Monty said:

After thinking we’d have leftovers for dinner, decided I’d make breakfast for dinner. Farmer sausage, eggs, potatoes, parsley, onions. Noice!

14C9CAE4-61E2-495D-9F65-61477F6B8021.jpeg

Every once in a while, breakfast for dinner is the best. Especially if you haven't had time to make a full breakfast in the morning in a while.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
On 6/6/2019 at 10:51 PM, luckylager said:

Microwaves are actually one of the healthiest ways to cook something.

https://thehealthsciencesacademy.org/health-tips/microwave-radiation/

https://muditalab.com/the-two-sides-of-the-story-is-microwave-radiation-harmful-de4b06fcda78?gi=a9262b2dcaf

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1