Sign in to follow this  
riffraff

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Glorious cast-iron cooking :metal:

I won’t cook burgers or steak on anything else. Has to be cast iron.

• Hydration 1

Made Eggs Benedict for my wife for dinner. It’s one of her favourite dishes.

A65BB52D-502F-4E07-9E8C-4D539DF486E7.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Monty said:

Made Eggs Benedict for my wife for dinner. It’s one of her favourite dishes.

A65BB52D-502F-4E07-9E8C-4D539DF486E7.jpeg

I love eggs benny, unfortunately hollandaise does not like me.  

Bbq steak with chipotle sauce and caramelized onions, fresh buns (those scissor buns from the grocery store) and a salad (spring mix with spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, bacon bits, soft goat cheese and green onions).  
Alamos Malbec 

• Upvote 2

Just made brownies from scratch.

B)

On 11/16/2019 at 9:18 PM, Monty said:

I won’t cook burgers or steak on anything else. Has to be cast iron.

I understand burgers but why steak?

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I understand burgers but why steak?

Seriously?

Think about it. If you go to a restaurant, they aren’t cooking your steak on a BBQ. There’s a reason for that. Cast Iron (flat surface combined with the seasoning of the pan) keeps the steak cooking in its juices. You can then baste it and cook with the butter, garlic, and thyme that’s in the pan while it cooks.

All chefs will recommend cast iron over BBQ.

Just now, Monty said:

Seriously?

Think about it. If you go to a restaurant, they aren’t cooking your steak on a BBQ. There’s a reason for that. Cast Iron (flat surface combined with the seasoning of the pan) keeps the steak cooking in its juices. You can then baste it and cook with the butter, garlic, and thyme that’s in the pan while it cooks.

All chefs will recommend cast iron over BBQ.

Ya just an honest question.  From a burger perspective I understand it for sure with the fat content in the meat.  I use a charcoal bbq and high heat quick sear for the steak.  I’m more of a rub guy than a sauce guy so I haven’t used the iron for steak but I will give it a go for comparison.

Just now, riffraff said:

Ya just an honest question.  From a burger perspective I understand it for sure with the fat content in the meat.  I use a charcoal bbq and high heat quick sear for the steak.  I’m more of a rub guy than a sauce guy so I haven’t used the iron for steak but I will give it a go for comparison.

Research correct temps, first. It sucks ruining a steak.

Just now, Monty said:

Research correct temps, first. It sucks ruining a steak.

I sit at room temp for 45-hr.

high heat cook 6-8mins

sit at room temp for 15

eat

ive read to let it sit even longer after cooking but I’m usually too hungry and I prefer a hot steak

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

high heat cook 6-8mins

sit at room temp for 15

eat

ive read to let it sit even longer after cooking but I’m usually too hungry and I prefer a hot steak

Depends on how you like your steak. I like mine rare. So I cook about 3 mins per side, baste for 1 min after I’ve cooked the 2nd side for about 2:45. 

Yeah, then I let it sit for 10-15.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Depends on how you like your steak. I like mine rare. So I cook about 3 mins per side, baste for 1 min after I’ve cooked the 2nd side for about 2:45. 

Yeah, then I let it sit for 10-15.

Best steaks I’ve done were seared in a pan (stainless steel, dont have cast iron) then finished on the bbq.  
3 minutes could be just searing a steak depending on its thickness.  Some steaks I’ve had on heat for 20minutes and they come out medium, even after resting for a while on the counter.  

3 minutes ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

Best steaks I’ve done were seared in a pan (stainless steel, dont have cast iron) then finished on the bbq.  
3 minutes could be just searing a steak depending on its thickness.  Some steaks I’ve had on heat for 20minutes and they come out medium, even after resting for a while on the counter.  

Find the cast iron really turns up the heat a lot. 6 minute searing, with anywhere from. 1 to 1 1/2 minutes basting, I’ve found gets it nice and rare.

On 11/22/2019 at 1:26 PM, riffraff said:

high heat cook 6-8mins

sit at room temp for 15

eat

Steak continues to cook during the rest.

10mins is perfect.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2019 at 3:18 PM, Cpt.Clutch said:

That must have been an extremely large/thick steak, or your grill isn't even close to hot enough.

1 inch thick steaks, grilled @600f, 3mins a side, rested for 10mins, is standard protocol for rare. I go hotter for thicker steaks or tbone/rib steak but not much more time. It's all about searing it shut.

If you have a good cast iron grill and you allow it to get to temp before cooking there's no need to use a cast iron pan unless you're being fancy with some thyme, rosemary and wine (which is totally unnecessary IMO.

The most important things are a good dry rub, making sure your bbq is hot as &^@#, and for the love of everything holy, FLIP IT ONLY ONCE.

Edited by luckylager
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

1 inch thick steaks, grilled @600f, 3mins a side, rested for 10mins, is standard protocol for rare. I go hotter for thicker steaks or tbone/rib steak but not much more time. It's all about searing it shut.

Yup.

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

there's no need to use a cast iron pan unless you're being fancy with some thyme, rosemary and wine (which is totally unnecessary IMO.

Disagree. :lol: 

9 minutes ago, luckylager said:

The most important things are a good dry rub, making sure your bbq is hot as &^@#, and for the love of everything holy, FLIP IT ONLY ONCE.

Correct.

9/10 I’ll only season with kosher salt and pepper. Then onto the cast iron.

• Hydration 1

34 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Steak continues to cook during the rest.

10mins is perfect.

Ya like a scaled down roast...this is good news as I can now wait 5 mins less!!!:towel:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, luckylager said:

That must have been an extremely large/thick steak, or your grill isn't even close to hot enough.

If you have a good cast iron grill and you allow it to get to temp before cooking there's no need to use a cast iron pan unless you're being fancy with some thyme, rosemary and wine (which is totally unnecessary IMO.

Lol.  Was fairy recent.  Had some 3” rib eyes.  Also done on natural gas bbq which doesn't burn as hot as propane.  

Pancakes and sausage for breakfast today. Tomorrow, we’re meeting with about 40 people (parents and kids) for our year end get together. 80 cookies. Chocolate and pecan. Middle of making these. Nearly done.

6E74E557-3D70-4BE3-A22A-6124AC3E31B1.jpeg

• Like 1