The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Veg quesadillas.  Daughter is coming over (I'm still at work) and that's what she's requesting.

Zucchini, peppers, onion, garlic, grated carrot, corn, black beans, grape tomatoes, cilantro, garlic boursin, aged cheddar & pesto on sundried tomato tortillas.

That sounds delicious (after I pick out the cilantro) :bigblush:

Just staring at the pork loin picture above, salivating lol

Okay, I gotta eat! Nothing special - appies tonight

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Veg quesadillas.  Daughter is coming over (I'm still at work) and that's what she's requesting.

Zucchini, peppers, onion, garlic, grated carrot, corn, black beans, grape tomatoes, cilantro, garlic boursin, aged cheddar & pesto on sundried tomato tortillas.

That's a very different quesadilla, deb.

I don't usually cook on weeknights, but tonight I did. 

It had to be fast so I made chicken fajitas.

They were totally forced and uninspired, but the kids ate em, so that's good I guess.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

That sounds delicious (after I pick out the cilantro) :bigblush:

Just staring at the pork loin picture above, salivating lol

Okay, I gotta eat! Nothing special - appies tonight

No cilantro in mine either.  

Appies are always great....love them.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

My son's a Sous Vide guy too.  Swears by it.  

did someone say sous vide?

its great. If you like beef tenderloin, its so easy to make a phenomenal steak. Perfect medium eggs in the shell, yes please. Honestly anything that you want to cook with a perfect interior that you quickly finish on a pan for a crust is ideal. 

You might want to drop Christmas hints to your son.... lots of good options on Amazon now.... 

www.chefsteps.com has some very cool recipes for this cooking technique. 

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, Monty said:

Saving money to buy all the stuff needed to Sous Vide. Likely looking at a May purchase date.

what are you looking at getting? you can do a great job likely with a pot you already own and sous vide's are now getting under $100 bucks. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what are you looking at getting? you can do a great job likely with a pot you already own and sous vide's are now getting under $100 bucks. 

I already have a number of things in my saved Amazon cart. The only thing I don’t really “need” is the pot. Have a few of them, and one giant one. So don’t need to get the plastic quart that usually accompany them (though I still might get it). But I’ll need the sous vide (got one pinned for $99, and then the vacuum seal machine.

I already make good steaks on my cast iron, but I really want to have the perfect cook using the sous vide, and then finishing it off in the pan afterwards for the crust.

• Cheers 1
9 hours ago, Monty said:

I already have a number of things in my saved Amazon cart. The only thing I don’t really “need” is the pot. Have a few of them, and one giant one. So don’t need to get the plastic quart that usually accompany them (though I still might get it). But I’ll need the sous vide (got one pinned for $99, and then the vacuum seal machine.

I already make good steaks on my cast iron, but I really want to have the perfect cook using the sous vide, and then finishing it off in the pan afterwards for the crust.

honestly if you don't have the vacuum machine already, don't bother its unnecessary - steaks e.,g can be put in an freezer bag, and all you do just just slowly lower it into the water bath and the air in the bag is removed like how this guy does it (https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/how-to-use-ziploc-bags-for-sous-vide).

we picked picked up our sous vide in Seattle about 7 years ago, and i think I've used a vacuum machine once. All we use is an old stock pot, freezer bags, and it works great. One thing tho if you're using a metal pot I found its better to put it on top of a cork pad so you don't lose a bunch of heat into your counter top, saves the machine from having to work as hard. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

honestly if you don't have the vacuum machine already, don't bother its unnecessary - steaks e.,g can be put in an freezer bag, and all you do just just slowly lower it into the water bath and the air in the bag is removed like how this guy does it (https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/how-to-use-ziploc-bags-for-sous-vide).

we picked picked up our sous vide in Seattle about 7 years ago, and i think I've used a vacuum machine once. All we use is an old stock pot, freezer bags, and it works great. One thing tho if you're using a metal pot I found its better to put it on top of a cork pad so you don't lose a bunch of heat into your counter top, saves the machine from having to work as hard. 

I did see a couple “hacks” like you mentioned about lowering a ziplock into the water. That is definitely an option.