The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

My ghetto Turkey dinner:20191225_183455.thumb.jpg.d1fdb8680d3db39f99292c1da8dec83a.jpg20191225_183449.thumb.jpg.2f93235e76646d0a7c7f106fabd3e7cd.jpg

Just got to play the waiting game and wait for the Turkey breast to cook, it's taking longer than anticipated.  The stuffing is real good though, substituted sausage instead of celery and onions.  Ghetto!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Jesus.  You guys set the bar HIGH.

Daughter's coming for NYE....she's at work and just sent me a pic of her lunch (Starbucks Caprese Sandwich.....face down on the floor!).  So I told her to starve.  Made a massive veg lasagna (layers:  sauce/lasagna/zucchini/garlic/cheese/sauce/lasagna/spinach/mushrooms/more garlic/sauce/cheese/lasagna/sauce/peppers/onions/Italian mix cheese/lasagna/sauce/tomatoes/grated carrot/ricotta/cheese).  Homemade garlic bread (it's the best).  Salad.  Broadmooreo cookies from Broadmoor bakery for dessert.

Snacks/appies (had those before I knew she was coming for sure):  phyllo stuffed with peppers, spinach, feta.  Crackers with cream cheese and jalapeno/red chili jelly.  Fresh fruit platter.

• Cheers 1
9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Jesus.  You guys set the bar HIGH.

Daughter's coming for NYE....she's at work and just sent me a pic of her lunch (Starbucks Caprese Sandwich.....face down on the floor!).  So I told her to starve.  Made a massive veg lasagna (layers:  sauce/lasagna/zucchini/garlic/cheese/sauce/lasagna/spinach/mushrooms/more garlic/sauce/cheese/lasagna/sauce/peppers/onions/Italian mix cheese/lasagna/sauce/tomatoes/grated carrot/ricotta/cheese).  Homemade garlic bread (it's the best).  Salad.  Broadmooreo cookies from Broadmoor bakery for dessert.

Snacks/appies (had those before I knew she was coming for sure):  phyllo stuffed with peppers, spinach, feta.  Crackers with cream cheese and jalapeno/red chili jelly.  Fresh fruit platter.

I need to charge my scooter and head to Richmond!  

That’s a feast!  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 2:12 PM, Monty said:

Finally bit the bullet and purchased a pasta maker. Will be arriving in a week. Can’t wait to start the tradition of making my pasta from scratch. 

My goal is to end up something like this :lol: 

FA8F10EB-C4FE-4148-8F31-E6244BEB9BB0.jpeg

Making the world a better place one roll at a time.

• Cheers 1
1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Making the world a better place one roll at a time.

Whenever I make my pasta (the one pictured earlier), that’s the only consistent meal my daughter never fusses over. No matter her mood, she’s always really excited to have it. She’s not a picky eater, just a regular 3 year old. But I swear, that pasta is from another world. Cures what ails ya.

14 minutes ago, Monty said:

Whenever I make my pasta (the one pictured earlier), that’s the only consistent meal my daughter never fusses over. No matter her mood, she’s always really excited to have it. She’s not a picky eater, just a regular 3 year old. But I swear, that pasta is from another world. Cures what ails ya.

Same here.

three kids all of them have always eaten pasta.  Started off with plain and now lasagne, cheese and spinach ravioli, spaghetti!

i love it too and make my own so it’s a win win.  Very satisfying seeming your crew clear their plates.

• Cheers 1
3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

i love it too and make my own so it’s a win win.  Very satisfying seeming your crew clear their plates.

I’ve never made homemade pasta noodles before, so I’m really excited to see how much of a difference in taste there is. I don’t think I’ve ever had freshly made pasta noodles before, so I don’t really know if it’s that much better, or not. But at the very least, it will make pasta night for my kids a much more warming and heartfelt memory when they’re grown and I’ve passed on. Which is the real point of it all.

And yeah, seeing people clear their plates makes me feel awesome. The only thing that feels better is when people go up for seconds, especially my mom. She’s very tiny and barely finishes her first plate of food. But whenever she comes to visit, she always takes seconds of my pasta and my short rib recipe.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Monty said:

I’ve never made homemade pasta noodles before, so I’m really excited to see how much of a difference in taste there is. I don’t think I’ve ever had freshly made pasta noodles before, so I don’t really know if it’s that much better, or not. But at the very least, it will make pasta night for my kids a much more warming and heartfelt memory when they’re grown and I’ve passed on. Which is the real point of it all.

And yeah, seeing people clear their plates makes me feel awesome. The only thing that feels better is when people go up for seconds, especially my mom. She’s very tiny and barely finishes her first plate of food. But whenever she comes to visit, she always takes seconds of my pasta and my short rib recipe.

My middle one and oldest of the two daughters is tiny and eats like a beast.  She has eaten two of my hamburgers.

shes 9 and weighs no more than 60lbs but she has gym and soccer hence the appetite 

• Cheers 1
On 1/12/2020 at 7:32 PM, Monty said:

Pre hockey meal.

E7A0E526-9920-465E-8C85-B66D27B02D8D.jpeg

Alright, so I made this again tonight (my specialty). However, the difference this time around was my pasta maker came in the mail today, so I made my own bow tie pasta from scratch.

If I made noodles instead, the whole process would have been about 30 minutes faster. Hand making bow ties is pretty labour intensive. After all said and done, it’s worth making your own pasta. This meal usually only takes me about 45 minutes when I buy the pasta at the store. Making my own, the whole thing is about 2 hours. Not bad, especially if you do it on a weekend. The nice thing is, while it obviously takes longer to make the pasta, getting them “el dente” is so much easier and have no chewy taste to them, at all.

Very happy with my advancement in cooking.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Alright. So tonight will be the second in a row where I make homemade pasta. Going to make Ravioli. Will post a pic with the finished product.

I like how for my first two pastas, I'm making the ones that require the most time and effort.

Made this last night (homemade noodles, again).

8774E3B3-B29C-42D2-87F1-42117A389698.jpeg

Now, this recipe is a little tougher to describe. Mixed mushrooms, prosciutto, thyme, etc, etc.

The unfortunate thing this time around was I put a little too much salt in the water when I cooked the pasta. Mentioned that freshly made noodles only cook for about 1-2 minutes, so you need to put even more salt in the water, as it has a limited amount of time to absorb the salt. So the overall product ended up being too salty. Still edible, but just too much. However, the flavours are still there in the other parts, and I can tell it would be an overall great recipe. Next time, and there definitely will be a next time, I’ll probably put half the amount of salt in the water. Better to be safe next time around.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4th time in less than a week of making fresh pasta. Tonight was a winner. Didn’t get any pics because we all ate it up so quickly. My in-laws are in town, so it didn’t last long. My 3 year old at 3rds! At most, she might get halfway through 2nds. But this was an absolute stunner. So happy with tonight’s result.

• Upvote 1