The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

BBQ'd some drums w/ thigh attached last night.

Been fine tuning BBQ chicken for years, it ain't easy, but I'm feeling confident I got 'er nailed. It's all about the rub, a deep hard rub, salt n spice. Sugary crap just burns the skin, toughens the meat and makes a crappy bird.

Paprika

Coarse Sea Salt

Garlic Pow

Cayanne

Black Pepper

Diced Chili Pepper

Rub that s#!t real hard 'n deep. Rest those rubbed up leggers, spread wide til they feel room temp. Really knead that rub right into those little nooks 'n crannies.

Get BBQ to 500 / 550 max.

The tough part- Sear flip and sear.

Now here's the rub, if you f**k up the sear and tear the skin on the flip, not only do you suck, the birds gonna suck too. So don't be lame, take your time and don't tear the skin, or as I already mentioned, you suck.

Sear both sides, take off heat 'till BBQ is down to 400. Top rack chicky turning every 8-10 mins basting with a lager / pilsner, takes 30-40 mins to cook depending on the size of those bones. So you can use a thermometer, or be a decent chef and KNOW when it's cooked by look and feel.

DON'T OVERCOOK, overcooked bird is nasty, not as bad as salmonella poisoning, but pretty close.

Rest for at least 10mins covered, served with an acidic bacon (potato) salad, slaw and garden greens. AND BEER. REALLY COLD BEER, the plainer the better.

On 6/23/2017 at 2:09 AM, RRypien37 said:

Psshh 10K is a challenge? That's me pretty much everyday 7th day when I get a cheat day. 

Ballers on youtube are doing 20-30K challenges now a day. 

Lol, I got close unintentionally on a cheat day. Hit just over 8500cals..felt good but not sure it was worth the extra few lbs considering im still supposed to be on a cut. 

34 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Lol, I got close unintentionally on a cheat day. Hit just over 8500cals..felt good but not sure it was worth the extra few lbs considering im still supposed to be on a cut. 

Nothing wrong with a cheat/calorie load up day when on a cut. I have a cheat day every 7th day. It's a good reward and something to look forward to. 

20 hours ago, luckylager said:

BBQ'd some drums w/ thigh attached last night.

Been fine tuning BBQ chicken for years, it ain't easy, but I'm feeling confident I got 'er nailed. It's all about the rub, a deep hard rub, salt n spice. Sugary crap just burns the skin, toughens the meat and makes a crappy bird.

Paprika

Coarse Sea Salt

Garlic Pow

Cayanne

Black Pepper

Diced Chili Pepper

Rub that s#!t real hard 'n deep. Rest those rubbed up leggers, spread wide til they feel room temp. Really knead that rub right into those little nooks 'n crannies.

Get BBQ to 500 / 550 max.

The tough part- Sear flip and sear.

Now here's the rub, if you f**k up the sear and tear the skin on the flip, not only do you suck, the birds gonna suck too. So don't be lame, take your time and don't tear the skin, or as I already mentioned, you suck.

Sear both sides, take off heat 'till BBQ is down to 400. Top rack chicky turning every 8-10 mins basting with a lager / pilsner, takes 30-40 mins to cook depending on the size of those bones. So you can use a thermometer, or be a decent chef and KNOW when it's cooked by look and feel.

DON'T OVERCOOK, overcooked bird is nasty, not as bad as salmonella poisoning, but pretty close.

Rest for at least 10mins covered, served with an acidic bacon (potato) salad, slaw and garden greens. AND BEER. REALLY COLD BEER, the plainer the better.

Wicked.

i just purchased a Weber kettle a month ago and I'm still dialing in temperature control.  The charcoal I bought was based on a recommendation but I'm not sure if I'm kooking out or the fact that the charcoal is irregular size and shape is causing inconsistencies in heat.

steaks and burgers have been a great success although last night I would have liked to get the temp a bit higher for the steaks....but I'm being fussy. Still achieved a great sear and a medium rare four mins per side with one shift each side at two minutes to get the aesthetic cross weave grill marks. Lol.

i think I will add more charcoal to get a higher temp.  I want to get a 500 for the steaks and the chicken as you describe above.  

Im using a charcoal chimney to start the coals and then dumping them in once the top coals are whiting and all aglow throughout the balance.

All in all im stoked with the Weber and look forward to gaining more skill this summer along with some slow roasts which I can tell the Weber will accel at.

edit

ive been drinking too much fancy beer lately and will be cleansing with a month of proper basic classics this month. 

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Nothing wrong with a cheat/calorie load up day when on a cut. I have a cheat day every 7th day. It's a good reward and something to look forward to. 

I feel so damn guilty sometimes knowin I haven't achieved my goal yet. But ya helps keep me from goin insane. I just take my cheat days when i go out with friends or plan them around big events. 

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

I feel so damn guilty sometimes knowin I haven't achieved my goal yet. But ya helps keep me from goin insane. I just take my cheat days when i go out with friends or plan them around big events. 

I've dropped like 25 pounds since starting my cut so I don't feel guilty treating myself at all. You need a reward if you put in the work and discipline. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, riffraff said:

Wicked.

i just purchased a Weber kettle a month ago and I'm still dialing in temperature control.  The charcoal I bought was based on a recommendation but I'm not sure if I'm kooking out or the fact that the charcoal is irregular size and shape is causing inconsistencies in heat.

steaks and burgers have been a great success although last night I would have liked to get the temp a bit higher for the steaks....but I'm being fussy. Still achieved a great sear and a medium rare four mins per side with one shift each side at two minutes to get the aesthetic cross weave grill marks. Lol.

i think I will add more charcoal to get a higher temp.  I want to get a 500 for the steaks and the chicken as you describe above.  

Im using a charcoal chimney to start the coals and then dumping them in once the top coals are whiting and all aglow throughout the balance.

All in all im stoked with the Weber and look forward to gaining more skill this summer along with some slow roasts which I can tell the Weber will accel at.

edit

ive been drinking too much fancy beer lately and will be cleansing with a month of proper basic classics this month. 

Word, love charcoal for the flavour, but as you're finding - temp control is wicked frustrating. I was going to recommend a coal chimney to start them ablaze and achieve max temp but you've got that figured.

The slow roasts are deadly under coals, you just have to pay close attention.

I f**king love BBQ, any kind, just give it to me!

Edited by luckylager
  • Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Word, love charcoal for the flavour, but as you're finding - temp control is wicked frustrating. I was going to recommend a coal chimney to start them ablaze and achieve max temp but you've got that figured.

The slow roasts are deadly under coals, you just have to pay close attention.

I f**king love BBQ, any kind, just give it to me!

After a late afternoon of gathering a fallen fir that the city brought down I bought a sixxer of steinlager and now have my 500degs!!

the rub is on and I eill

commence the lager basting asap.

meanwhile I while imbibe said steinies.

edit

ive decided to try putting a tray with some lager under the chicken instead of basting.  Will see what happens.  Also I did not have any cayenne so I subbed I pinch of cumin.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, riffraff said:

After a late afternoon of gathering a fallen fir that the city brought down I bought a sixxer of steinlager and now have my 500degs!!

the rub is on and I eill

commence the lager basting asap.

meanwhile I while imbibe said steinies.

edit

ive decided to try putting a tray with some lager under the chicken instead of basting.  Will see what happens.  Also I did not have any cayenne so I subbed I pinch of cumin.

Hells bells! I love the beer steam tray idea.. killer!

You're in for a treat.

I'm having the chicken pad Thai and red wine. I really like that combination, spicy food with red wine. 

Most of this thread is based on home cooked meals. I am not a cook, but I have made some things, and found my smoke detector is really loud, and that the fan button on the microwave circulates the air.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Tonight I'm making what I like to call "the gnar burger". It's just like a burger, only gnarly.

The only big difference is adding bacon bits and stale cool ranch doritos to the beef.

2lb Ground beef

Bout 3/4 cup crushed up doritos

8 strips crispy double smoked bacon crushed up with the doritos

Few shakes of worchestershire 

Knead all that together for a couple of minutes then make into 6 patties.

BBQ

Flip

Add cheese

Cover

Pretzl buns.

Top em how you want em, I don't judge.

• Upvote 3
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:43 PM, luckylager said:

Tonight I'm making what I like to call "the gnar burger". It's just like a burger, only gnarly.

The only big difference is adding bacon bits and stale cool ranch doritos to the beef.

2lb Ground beef

Bout 3/4 cup crushed up doritos

8 strips crispy double smoked bacon crushed up with the doritos

Few shakes of worchestershire 

Knead all that together for a couple of minutes then make into 6 patties.

BBQ

Flip

Add cheese

Cover

Pretzl buns.

Top em how you want em, I don't judge.

That sounds awesome.  I usually add bread crumbs and what's-this-here sauce.  (My buddy could never pronounce it correctly so that's what I called it when he was around)  Next time I will replace the bread crumbs with Doritos.

Edited by Bocivus
  • Upvote 1

That Doritos trick?  Amazing idea...going to try it.

Another trick...a bit of.mashed kiwi fruit makes an excellent meat tenderizer.  Don't use too much or for too long though...will result in a mushy texture.  I do kiwi, soy sauce, minced garlic,Worcestershire sauce and a bit of liquid (I've used apple juice, water, etc)

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That Doritos trick?  Amazing idea...going to try it.

Another trick...a bit of.mashed kiwi fruit makes an excellent meat tenderizer.  Don't use too much or for too long though...will result in a mushy texture.  I do kiwi, soy sauce, minced garlic,Worcestershire sauce and a bit of liquid (I've used apple juice, water, etc)

Deb, it's gnarly, hence the gnarburger!

It might just be the msg.... but it's 'real good'

• Upvote 1