The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

@debluvscanucks @Monty @Green Building

Wow guys! Well done.  Brings tears to my eyes.  I can only applaud. Sincerely.

i marvel from my pizza n beer coma on my couch.

youre all invited for potluck @luckylager too.

I've lost 20 pounds since I went on my meal plan, and today was my cheat day. However, after entering into my "Lose It" app how many calories I ate at breakfast with those pancakes, the rest of my day was boring, crap meals to ensure I didn't go over my daily caloric intake.

Tomorrow is a toss up. French Toast and Sausage for breakfast, or make homemade brioche buns and have burgers for dinner. Real Sophie's Choice.

• Upvote 2
11 hours ago, Monty said:

I've lost 20 pounds since I went on my meal plan, and today was my cheat day. However, after entering into my "Lose It" app how many calories I ate at breakfast with those pancakes, the rest of my day was boring, crap meals to ensure I didn't go over my daily caloric intake.

Tomorrow is a toss up. French Toast and Sausage for breakfast, or make homemade brioche buns and have burgers for dinner. Real Sophie's Choice.

Can you go extra lean beef and some sorta hippy flat bread so you can enjoy both meals?

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Can you go extra lean beef and some sorta hippy flat bread so you can enjoy both meals?

I live in a small(ish) town, and stores are closed today, so couldn't buy extra lean beef or flat bread anyway.

I also wouldn't do it anyway :lol: If I'm making a burger, I'm making it the tasty way. But I've got self control, I'll do the burgers tomorrow night.

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, Monty said:

I live in a small(ish) town, and stores are closed today, so couldn't buy extra lean beef or flat bread anyway.

I also wouldn't do it anyway :lol: If I'm making a burger, I'm making it the tasty way. But I've got self control, I'll do the burgers tomorrow night.

I agree.

ye can't make a decent burg with extra lean imo.

• Upvote 1

Homemade brioche buns, straight out of the oven and burgers right after. My wife grows tomatoes, and I, like an idiot, just had my burger with homemade mayo and teriyaki sauce. Should have added the tomatoe, as her's tasted amazing. 

So, burger and horchata.IMG_1987.thumb.JPG.848a4a29cc8cdd13423b306b3e151032.JPG

Edit: If the burger looks thin, it's because I make 2-3 ounce smash burgers on my cast iron. No longer BBQ burgers or steak. All done on the cast iron. Tastes so much better.

• Upvote 4
5 hours ago, Monty said:

Homemade brioche buns, straight out of the oven and burgers right after. My wife grows tomatoes, and I, like an idiot, just had my burger with homemade mayo and teriyaki sauce. Should have added the tomatoe, as her's tasted amazing. 

So, burger and horchata.IMG_1987.thumb.JPG.848a4a29cc8cdd13423b306b3e151032.JPG

Edit: If the burger looks thin, it's because I make 2-3 ounce smash burgers on my cast iron. No longer BBQ burgers or steak. All done on the cast iron. Tastes so much better.

IMG_2078.GIF

• Upvote 1

I've always been a huge risotto fan, my Mom always made a killer asperagus risotto, my Dad's crab risotto is world class, so I guess I was kinda born into a world of beautiful risotto. I can execute both of their recipies to perfection, btw.

Anyways, I've done a bunch of my own styles, adapted others but usually want to make a pancetta, romano zotto. 

I've had a pile of crap to deal with at work since returning from vacation, ended up missing dinner with the wife and kids and didnt want reheated quesadillas for dinner when I got home, just in time to tuck in the kids. 

Then I had a massive risotto craving, looked around and I had everything except pancetta and pecorino romano..damn right? Nope

It dawned on me - BACON, I HAVE BACON. I also have a pile of garden fresh san marzanos (tomato), wedge of parm, some baldersons old cheddar and fresh italien parsley in the garden..

That's right - It was like a BLT risotto, maybe a club because I used chicken broth for the liquid, I dunno, but it was fricken amazing.

The method and technique is a whole other essay, but I had to share.

BLT(ish) risotto. Probably just ate about 1200 calories, sorry heart.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Just made a delicious veg shephard's pie...was actually better than a meat version.  

Mashed parsnip, golden beet, yam, onion, garlic, peppers, celery, carrot, corn, peas, kale, tomato, parsley, cauliflower topped with mashed garlic potatoes. 

Whoa?! Did you mash all the veg together except the peas and corn (which IMO need to be layered) or just the parsnip, yam, beets and carrots?

I must know. How did you achieve the fundemental layers of shepards pie and what was the foundation? It sounds good and I want to try.

15 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Whoa?! Did you mash all the veg together except the peas and corn (which IMO need to be layered) or just the parsnip, yam, beets and carrots?

I must know. How did you achieve the fundemental layers of shepards pie and what was the foundation? It sounds good and I want to try.

Boiled then mashed (with a fork) the golden beets, yams, parsnips (for substance/texture, to replace the meat).  Sauted the onion, peppers, celery, garlic then added the mash to it.  A bit of tomato basil sauce & worcestershire.  Added par boiled cauliflower & carrot.  Cut corn from the cob and threw it in raw, along with frozen peas, kale and parsley (also added some of the veggie water to it)....simmered on stove.  Did the garlic mashed potatoes then threw together and into the oven at 350 for an hour.   Did some onion gravy on the side but didn't need it.

• Upvote 1
Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Boiled then mashed (with a fork) the golden beets, yams, parsnips (for substance/texture, to replace the meat).  Sauted the onion, peppers, celery, garlic then added the mash to it.  A bit of tomato basil sauce & worcestershire.  Added par boiled cauliflower & carrot.  Cut corn from the cob and threw it in raw, along with frozen peas, kale and parsley (also added some of the veggie water to it)....simmered on stove.  Did the garlic mashed potatoes then threw together and into the oven at 350 for an hour.

Deb, you had me at worchestershire. That sounds amazing, I'll give it a shot! 

I've been bullied into two veggie dinners a week....

• Upvote 1