The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bo Horvat our best player?

Nex is my ex

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Apparently he could have, if he traded within the division.  The Oilers were offering more.

Do you know what "more" was at that time? It was confirmed to be their pick (11th *selected nurse) and Oscar Klefbom...

So by rights we should make this trade today because you know... I they offered more. We should trade bo for those two and run...

#AlfTheory

10 hours ago, on the cycle said:

Funny how when we drafted him it was for his 2 way game and now his offensive ability is his best quality.

I honestly don't believe Horvat is a Selki guy anymore, I think he an awesome offensive guy who could be a 1st line center. I still want a star center this draft ie. ( Patrick, Valardi, Hischier, mittlestadt).

Horvat has already exceeded my expectations. He is an a fantastic bright spot, making me happy I bought his Jersey (First official jersey, first one was Burrows).

Horvat is on pace for 55pts and 22G.

That is 1st line production in today's NHL (In just his 3rd season).

If there is any hope for this teams future it's him.

In early interviews, Horvat said that as a junior, he worked on the defensive side of the game and face offs a lot.  He knew very young that being defensively responsible would be a quicker route to the NHL.  

This is not to say that he worked on his strengths and defense was his game.  Far from it.  Those things are in his tool box and got him into the NHL as a teenager but he's clearly good offensively.  I wouldn't say high end talent but 20+ goals, 50+ points is nothing to sneeze at.

39 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

If they really want to retool then

to COL

CBJ 2nd

granlund

Sutter

sbisa

Virtanen

to VAN

Landescog

Duchenne

Landescog Duchenne Ericksson

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Sedin Sedin Burrows

chaput Gaunce Skille

I really hope this post wasn't serious. This isn't a video game

31 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

In early interviews, Horvat said that as a junior, he worked on the defensive side of the game and face offs a lot.  He knew very young that being defensively responsible would be a quicker route to the NHL.  

This is not to say that he worked on his strengths and defense was his game.  Far from it.  Those things are in his tool box and got him into the NHL as a teenager but he's clearly good offensively.  I wouldn't say high end talent but 20+ goals, 50+ points is nothing to sneeze at.

Hey man, thats 1st line production.

Get another top line center and we're set down the middle.

Just now, Team Bagues said:

I think that's Gryba, #62 on the Baer goal. Kassian had his head up his keester on the Baer goal as well.

Wonder why Ottawa wanted to get rid of Gryba???

Yet Gandolph and his sidekick were drooling over Gryba on the telecast last night.

Best players is tough, depends on what we're talking about.

Forward that I most expect to come up clutch if we need it? - would have to be Horvat.

D-man I want on the ice to settle things down? - would have to be Tanev.

Both goalies have been equally great - nice luxury we have there.

in terms of what player I'd most hate to lose? - I'd have to say Horvat.

Agreed - looking forward to potentially seeing him represent at the all-star game.

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

Yet Gandolph and his sidekick were drooling over Gryba on the telecast last night.

Really??? guess they were watching something else.

Randorf is usually keen and fairly impartial, but his hockey IQ is definitely lacking.

and Debrusk is a bit of a Garrett type Oiler homer.

I'm often confused at broadcasters opinion of players in-game, and wonder if I'm watching the same game.

13 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

I think that's Gryba, #62 on the Baer goal. Kassian had his head up his keester on the Baer goal as well.

Wonder why Ottawa wanted to get rid of Gryba???

....and those on this board who were pissed when the Canucks got rid of Kassian. Once a cement head, always a cement head. I actually think Debrusk does a fairly good job as a colour commentator, I prefer him to Simpson.

Bo is pretty impressive and just glad to see his hard work is paying off. I think it is safe to say he is our best player which is a great sign for the future, but hopefully we don't have to wait 3-4 more years to find another player like Bo to step up and play 1st line, we need players like Bo now.

On a side note I'd like to add Markstrom as one of the better players on this team too. I do see Bo and Markstrom as the backbone of this team in the future.

10 hours ago, J-23 said:

Bo Horvat is for sure our best player this season. He plays with heart, and he is a player who works hard. When we drafted this guy I was so excited, I love his worth ethic. Now when I look back on his draft year, he has out worked almost all the forwards drafted in front of him, in my opinion.

#1: Nathan Mackinnon - So far this season Nathan and Bo both have 25 points. However, Nathan is on the 1st line getting big minutes, whereas Bo is on the 3rd line. (Bo still gets good minutes, hope he gets more though).

#2: Alexsander Barkov Jr. - The only player in the draft class that has more points that Horvat with 27. However, I don't think he has that defensive game that Horvat brings us.

#3: Jonathan Drouin - So far this season Horvat has 3 more points than Drouin, and Drouin is a second liner playing with two real good veterans, Boyle and Fillpula (Not saying Baer and Burr are bad line mates). Plus Bo brings a positive attitude towards this team, and no drama. Unlike Drouin who requested for a trade and brought immediate drama to his team.

#5: Elias Lindholm - Only 13 points this season plus he plays on the second line with Jordan Staal.

#6: Sean Monahan - He has 20 points, plays on the 1st line with Johnny Gaudreau and he is a -14. 

#9: Bo Horvat - 10 goals, 15 assist, plays on the 3rd line (Which should be our 1st or 2nd line in my opinion), kills penalties and a great defensive player.

The numbers don't lie. All I'm saying is maybe Horvat was overlooked. He has everything you need in a future #1 center, and he has recently been adding physicality to his game. We are very lucky to have Bo, and I love watching him play. He is a great overall player, who will continue to get better, and if he continues to work hard he will be an elite player in this league

Actually, the guy with the most points in the their draft class is Alexander Wennberg from Columbus with 33pts in 35gps. 13th overall pick. But still, quite impressive.

21 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

....and those on this board who were pissed when the Canucks got rid of Kassian. Once a cement head, always a cement head. I actually think Debrusk does a fairly good job as a colour commentator, I prefer him to Simpson.

Yeah, I like Debrusk as well - he just has slightly tilted 'homer' glasses sometimes.

But his hockey colour overall is usually pretty interesting.

I don't mind Simpson, but I only see him rarely.

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

If they really want to retool then

to COL

CBJ 2nd

granlund

Sutter

sbisa

Virtanen

to VAN

Landescog

Duchenne

Landescog Duchenne Ericksson

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Sedin Sedin Burrows

chaput Gaunce Skille

It doesn't work this way pal! It doesn't work this way!

Shades of Alex Burrows in some senses.

Elite 5 on 5 production, swiss army knife role - scores, hounds the puck, plays shutdown / kills penalties, up and down the ice, hard areas, transition, you name it, all around clutch master who provides that top 6 scoring while arguably being the team's most versatile forward.  Doesn't need a thing - just goes out there and gets it done, no questions asked, no complaints, no sheltering, no spoon-feeding - play him anytime, anywhere, with anyone, just lean on the guy.

11 hours ago, J-23 said:

Bo Horvat is for sure our best player this season. He plays with heart, and he is a player who works hard. When we drafted this guy I was so excited, I love his worth ethic. Now when I look back on his draft year, he has out worked almost all the forwards drafted in front of him, in my opinion.

#1: Nathan Mackinnon - So far this season Nathan and Bo both have 25 points. However, Nathan is on the 1st line getting big minutes, whereas Bo is on the 3rd line. (Bo still gets good minutes, hope he gets more though).

#2: Alexsander Barkov Jr. - The only player in the draft class that has more points that Horvat with 27. However, I don't think he has that defensive game that Horvat brings us.

The numbers don't lie. All I'm saying is maybe Horvat was overlooked. He has everything you need in a future #1 center, and he has recently been adding physicality to his game. We are very lucky to have Bo, and I love watching him play. He is a great overall player, who will continue to get better, and if he continues to work hard he will be an elite player in this league

Barkov doesn't have the same defensive game Horvat brings? Are you serious?

Are we talking about the same Barkov who was sixth in Selke voting last year, at the age of 20?

Archived