Nex is my ex

Is Bo Horvat our best player?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Really?  Is that how you feel about Nylader's time in TO? Oh what a loss for his career, having to rebuild in TO.

 

I don't feel for Nylander. Bo Horvat is a key piece of my favourite team. Nylander is not.

 

Toronto is on the up and up anyways. We're starting the descent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely.  Pretty good skill,  and lots of heart.  Not only is he our best player,  but I think the Bo Baer Burr line has been our best all around line the last couple weeks.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

 

I don't feel for Nylander. Bo Horvat is a key piece of my favourite team. Nylander is not.

 

Toronto is on the up and up anyways. We're starting the descent.

 

Can someone minus this guy for me? 

 

How can you look at the G and D prospects and young players and think that? Yes the F group needs a couple more drafts and probably a free agent but to say we're "starting the descent" is ridiculous. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

 

Can someone minus this guy for me? 

 

How can you look at the G and D prospects and young players and think that? Yes the F group needs a couple more drafts and probably a free agent but to say we're "starting the descent" is ridiculous. 

 

 

Ci.

 

if anything were just starting to see the silver lining of our recent toils.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Our future (near future) first line centre. 

If Boeser can pan out I can see our first line being Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser. 

Baertschi has 18 points in his last 22 games. If he can keep up this pace the rest of the year he can finish with around 58 points. I think he could ride shot gun with Horvat and Boeser! 

2018/2019 is the year we can be very good. Horvat & Baertschi will be in their prime, and Boeser will hopefully be contributing by then as well. The Sedins could re-sign at a cheap price as our depth scoring, giving us some cash for a big signing or two. Our young D will be more mature as well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

 

I don't feel for Nylander. Bo Horvat is a key piece of my favourite team. Nylander is not.

 

Toronto is on the up and up anyways. We're starting the descent. ascent

fixed that for ya B)

 

Seriously, where is bottom?  Hard to tell but after more than a year of poor play, this isn't the beginning of a descent, we're seeing signs of a young core who is starting to gel and improve.  And the team is showing some nice character.  There will be ups and downs but corners are getting turned on the long road to competitiveness.  And Horvat is leading the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez...asking if Bo is our best player right now is like asking if Marky is our tallest goalie...pretty damn obvious...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

 

Can someone minus this guy for me? 

 

How can you look at the G and D prospects and young players and think that? Yes the F group needs a couple more drafts and probably a free agent but to say we're "starting the descent" is ridiculous. 

 

The Sedin's are going to retire soon and it's a pipe dream to expect every single promising prospect to turn out fine. UFA's don't tend to sign with on the bubble rebuilding teams.

 

Burrows, Hansen and Edler are not part of the future core. Eriksson is aging. I'm going to stick with the descent. 

 

If you think we're ascending that's your prerogative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team started its "descent" the moment Game 7 ended in 2011. It would have whether we had won that game or not. Sure, we won the presidents trophy the year after that, but the team obviously wasn't nearly as good as the team that went to the cup final the year before.

 

The "ascent" started the year we drafted Horvat. That might not reflect on the ice, but that is when we drafted (arguably) the most important player to this rebuild.

 

Long and short of it is that the "descent" and "ascent" of a franchise doesn't necessarily have to synch up with success/failure on the ice. I would argue that, as a franchise, we're in a better position now than we were 2 years ago, despite the fact that the team was better at that point in time. We now have younger players integrating themselves into the lineup, and many of them (Horvat, Bear Cheese, Tryamkin, Hutton, Granlund, etc...) are proving themselves to be legit NHLers. That can't bee seen as anything other than an "ascent", regardless of some of the aging players still on the team. Add to that the fact that we have Juolevi, Boeser, and Demko all waiting in the wings.

 

Side note- Remember when there were people thinking we should have drafted Nichushkin over Horvat? Lol.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's probably going to play in the All-star game at 21 years old..

 

I mean you can say what you want about the what Gillis did with the goaltending situation, but if you had told me right after the 2013 lockout had been settled that we would get a player like this for either goalie I think I would have been absolutely ecstatic.

 

What a player Horvat has become, and he's only 21.... Insane.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This team started its "descent" the moment Game 7 ended in 2011. It would have whether we had won that game or not. Sure, we won the presidents trophy the year after that, but the team obviously wasn't nearly as good as the team that went to the cup final the year before.

 

The "ascent" started the year we drafted Horvat. That might not reflect on the ice, but that is when we drafted (arguably) the most important player to this rebuild.

 

Long and short of it is that the "descent" and "ascent" of a franchise doesn't necessarily have to synch up with success/failure on the ice. I would argue that, as a franchise, we're in a better position now than we were 2 years ago, despite the fact that the team was better at that point in time. We now have younger players integrating themselves into the lineup, and many of them (Horvat, Bear Cheese, Tryamkin, Hutton, Granlund, etc...) are proving themselves to be legit NHLers. That can't bee seen as anything other than an "ascent", regardless of some of the aging players still on the team. Add to that the fact that we have Juolevi, Boeser, and Demko all waiting in the wings.

 

Side note- Remember when there were people thinking we should have drafted Nichushkin over Horvat? Lol.

 

Right here. Guilty as charged.

 

And I'm more than happy to eat crow. I was totally wrong on that and I couldn't be any happier to admit it. Lesson learned. :lol:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

 

I don't feel for Nylander. Bo Horvat is a key piece of my favourite team. Nylander is not.

 

Toronto is on the up and up anyways. We're starting the descent.

 

With as young a team as we have I find it hard to believe there are going to be alot more massive descents to come.

 

It may take a few years yet to be a really good team but we got good young players that are contributing and growing everyday, as long as that continues the bigger picture trajectory for this franchise should be upwards not crashing down.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

 

With as young a team as we have I find it hard to believe there are going to be alot more massive descents to come.

Exactly. The team is pretty much at rock bottom right now, and likely will be for another season or two, but to say we're on a descending track is pretty foolish when there's really nowhere to go but up, which is the direction we are going by integrating younger players into the lineup and having them actually make meaningful contributions.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

 

The Sedin's are going to retire soon and it's a pipe dream to expect every single promising prospect to turn out fine. UFA's don't tend to sign with on the bubble rebuilding teams.

 

Burrows, Hansen and Edler are not part of the future core. Eriksson is aging. I'm going to stick with the descent. 

 

If you think we're ascending that's your prerogative. 

 

Have fun with that. I'll be enjoying watching the players develop under a rebuild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Baggins said:

 

How many fourth liners get over 17 minutes a game? He's averaging 1:27 per game behind Henrik. He'd be getting less time per game if he got Granlunds ice time.

 

Btw, Bo's deployment makes complete sense. It plays to all his strengths.

 

Bo is not our 4th line center, his is playing 3rd behind Sutter and Henrik.  WD started him out on the 4th line this season. 

 

I disagree with Bo's deployment and minutes. What other team's third line center is leading the team in points?  

 

I believe eve he can handle more than WD is giving him.  Bo has earned some more o zone starts. When the team lacks scoring, why does our coach give the leading scorer less minutes in the o zone and less PP time?  

 

so far no one can answer this.  Agree to disagree.  Free Willie. 

 

A few few wins does not change my prespective. 

 

EW

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

 

Bo is not our 4th line center, his is playing 3rd behind Sutter and Henrik.  WD started him out on the 4th line this season. 

 

I disagree with Bo's deployment and minutes. What other team's third line center is leading the team in points?  

 

I believe eve he can handle more than WD is giving him.  Bo has earned some more o zone starts. When the team lacks scoring, why does our coach give the leading scorer less minutes in the o zone and less PP time?  

 

so far no one can answer this.  Agree to disagree.  Free Willie. 

 

A few few wins does not change my prespective. 

 

EW

 

You're way too wrapped up in line numbers. Everybody freaked when Bo's line was listed fourth for the opening game of the season, yet he was third in ice time ahead of Granlund. So who was actually the fourth line in that game? Bo because he was listed fourth....  :frantic:

 

Were you around when the Sedins came into the league? There were called our second line and played the second PP. Yet they got less ice time per game than Lindens line - the shutdown line. The difference is the Sedins got 12 to 14 minutes per game. After the lockout they finally got 15 minutes per game. Bo is getting more than that already. The Sedins didn't get "Bo ice time" untiil they moved up to the top line. Yet people are still freaking about Bo's ice time.

 

I've said it before and I'll just keep on saying it: Bo's greatest strengths are face-offs, defensive play, and leading the rush. Willie's deployment plays to all those strengths. As Bo's ice time went up this season he has had more o-zone starts as well. So where's the problem? Willie's job is still to win games. That means using players to their strengths. He's done that while still giving Bo more opportunity. These complaints are just another indication of the lack of fan patience here. Give it all to Bo NOW!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Baggins said:

 

You're way too wrapped up in line numbers. Everybody freaked when Bo's line was listed fourth for the opening game of the season, yet he was third in ice time ahead of Granlund. So who was actually the fourth line in that game? Bo because he was listed fourth....  :frantic:

 

Were you around when the Sedins came into the league? There were called our second line and played the second PP. Yet they got less ice time per game than Lindens line - the shutdown line. The difference is the Sedins got 12 to 14 minutes per game. After the lockout they finally got 15 minutes per game. Bo is getting more than that already. The Sedins didn't get "Bo ice time" untiil they moved up to the top line. Yet people are still freaking about Bo's ice time.

 

I've said it before and I'll just keep on saying it: Bo's greatest strengths are face-offs, defensive play, and leading the rush. Willie's deployment plays to all those strengths. As Bo's ice time went up this season he has had more o-zone starts as well. So where's the problem? Willie's job is still to win games. That means using players to their strengths. He's done that while still giving Bo more opportunity. These complaints are just another indication of the lack of fan patience here. Give it all to Bo NOW!!!

 

I am not wrapped up in line numbers.  I simply believe that when your team lacks offense and you clearly have a player that can produce points at a higher rate.  That player should be used to further increase offense. 

 

Added to that, Sutter is more than capable of taking over some of Bo's d zone starts. 

 

Does anyone one really think that playing Megna on the 1st line is a good move?  

 

Agree to disagree.   Can you answer a question that I will repeat. Name me another team that has a third line center as their leading scorer?  Not just for the first half of this year, but for the last calendar year. 

 

I am not saying give it all to Bo now!  Bo has earned respect and shown to be our most capable forward.. I am not interested in hyperbole. You think WD is doing a good job and I do not. I think Bo could further help offence production by getting more PP time and o zone starts. You don't. 

 

EW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

 

I am not wrapped up in line numbers.  I simply believe that when your team lacks offense and you clearly have a player that can produce points at a higher rate.  That player should be used to further increase offense. 

 

Added to that, Sutter is more than capable of taking over some of Bo's d zone starts. 

 

Does anyone one really think that playing Megna on the 1st line is a good move?  

 

Agree to disagree.   Can you answer a question that I will repeat. Name me another team that has a third line center as their leading scorer?  Not just for the first half of this year, but for the last calendar year. 

 

I am not saying give it all to Bo now!  Bo has earned respect and shown to be our most capable forward.. I am not interested in hyperbole. You think WD is doing a good job and I do not. I think Bo could further help offence production by getting more PP time and o zone starts. You don't. 

 

EW

Hank just can't play defensively very well any more.  Maybe Bo's D zone starts, and heavy lifting is more a function of Hank's lack of being able to play defensively?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.