The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bo Horvat our best player?

Nex is my ex

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I am not wrapped up in line numbers.  I simply believe that when your team lacks offense and you clearly have a player that can produce points at a higher rate.  That player should be used to further increase offense. 

Added to that, Sutter is more than capable of taking over some of Bo's d zone starts. 

Dors anyone one really think that playing Megna on the 1st line is a good move?  

Agree to disagree.   Can you answer a question that I will repeat. Name me another team that has a third line center as their leading scorer?  Not just for the first half of this year, but for the last calendar year. 

I am not saying give it all to Bo now!  Bo has earned respect and shown to be our most capable forward.. I am not interested in hyperbole. You think WD is doing a good job and I do not. I think Bo could further help offence production by getting more PP time and o zone starts. You don't. 

EW

I would argue that Bo's line is in fact our 2nd line and Sutter's line gets more ice time as he's the shutdown line. Just as Lindens line (shutdown line) got more ice time than the Sedins line (2nd scoring line) early in their career. I think you actually are wrapped up in line numbers and associate it with ice time. And you're still ignoring Bo's strengths and the fact his o-zone starts have increased recently. Bo doesn't have the only line on the team. If you want to win you try to play every line to their strength.

Regarding Megna, he wouldn't be my first choice. But, as was pointed out between periods, the other two lines (Sutter's & Bo's) were playing quite well. So why disrupt that? It does make some sense. The Sedins have made others better throughout their career. Even guys like Pyatt and Bernier.

You'll know when Bo has taken over the respect. The opposing coach will be putting his top defenders against him instead of the Sedins.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hank just can't play defensively very well any more.  Maybe Bo's D zone starts, and heavy lifting is more a function of Hank's lack of being able to play defensively?  

That may be the logic, if there is any... Not advocating increasing Henrik's d zone starts by any means.  But Sutter can take more d zone starts.  PP has a lot of room for improvement and there is no reason to not to play Bo there more. 

Just now, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

That may be the logic, if there is any... Not advocating increasing Henrik's d zone starts by any means.  But Sutter can take more d zone starts.  PP has a lot of room for improvement and there is no reason to not to play Bo there more. 

Bo and Hank are both lefties.  They would take the left side draws in the d-zone to draw to the boards, wouldn't they?  Sutter takes the other side, I think?  

18 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I would argue that Bo's line is in fact our 2nd line and Sutter's line gets more ice time as he's the shutdown line. Just as Lindens line (shutdown line) got more ice time than the Sedins line (2nd scoring line) early in their career. I think you actually are wrapped up in line numbers and associate it with ice time. And you're still ignoring Bo's strengths and the fact his o-zone starts have increased recently. Bo doesn't have the only line on the team. If you want to win you try to play every line to their strength.

Regarding Megna, he wouldn't be my first choice. But, as was pointed out between periods, the other two lines (Sutter's & Bo's) were playing quite well. So why disrupt that? It does make some sense. The Sedins have made others better throughout their career. Even guys like Pyatt and Bernier.

You'll know when Bo has taken over the respect. The opposing coach will be putting his top defenders against him instead of the Sedins.

Not getting wrapped up in line numbers.  The basis for my using the general 1st, 2nd and 3rd line terms has more to do with zone starts. Bo is primarily getting d zone starts, Sutter is half and half and Hank is mainly o zone. 

Flip Bo with Sutter's zone starts and IMO there will be an increase in offence.  Put Bo on the PP more and IMO it will be more productive.  Replace Megna with Eriksson and IMO there will be more production. 

The reason I want to free Willie is that he seems to be behind the trends.  He may be finally increasing Bo's o zone starts, but what took him so long.  He couldn't see that things needed to hanged up until we lost 9 in a row... TO had to beat the crap out of us and knock Hansen out before putting Trymakin in the lineup. Eriksson needed to be bumped off the twins line and it took him another 5 games or so to figure that out. Now Megna needs to go and it will take Willie another few games to figure out what others see. 

Willie is not a coach that can make quick adjustments and it has hurt this team IMO. 

EW

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo and Hank are both lefties.  They would take the left side draws in the d-zone to draw to the boards, wouldn't they?  Sutter takes the other side, I think?  

Alf,

that at might be the most reasonable arguement for the current use of our centers. Wonder if any of the fancy stats guys can point to possession and how that is influenced by the side the draw was taken on. 

If that can be proven, then I may be wrong.

On 1/1/2017 at 11:18 AM, Canucks Curse said:

If they really want to retool then

to COL

CBJ 2nd

granlund

Sutter

sbisa

Virtanen

to VAN

Landescog

Duchenne

Landescog Duchenne Ericksson

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Sedin Sedin Burrows

chaput Gaunce Skille

lol ya i'm sure Colorado wants to give the 2 top players for all of those spare parts combined.. literally there's nothing of value the canucks are giving up that's even worth 1 of those players... and Colorado will want either boeser Demko or Juolevi as a start.. pretty sure no one wants to touch virtanen atm

17 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Not getting wrapped up in line numbers.  The basis for my using the general 1st, 2nd and 3rd line terms has more to do with zone starts. Bo is primarily getting d zone starts, Sutter is half and half and Hank is mainly o zone. 

Flip Bo with Sutter's zone starts and IMO there will be an increase in offence.  Put Bo on the PP more and IMO it will be more productive.  Replace Megna with Eriksson and IMO there will be more production. 

The reason I want to free Willie is that he seems to be behind the trends.  He may be finally increasing Bo's o zone starts, but what took him so long.  He couldn't see that things needed to hanged up until we lost 9 in a row... TO had to beat the crap out of us and knock Hansen out before putting Trymakin in the lineup. Eriksson needed to be bumped off the twins line and it took him another 5 games or so to figure that out. Now Megna needs to go and it will take Willie another few games to figure out what others see. 

Willie is not a coach that can make quick adjustments and it has hurt this team IMO. 

EW

I'd say it depend on how many starts at each end per game. Some games we seem to be starting in our end far more than the other way around. I still say play the lines to their strengths. Bo's greatest strengths: face-offs, defensive play, and creating off the rush. Put all those strengths together and his d-zone starts make complete sense.

I think Willie is far smarter than those on this board. He's doing a good job with what he has to work with.

Once Bo can iron out the inconsistency in his play over 82 then he'll be there. We saw last year he went invisible for a stretch at the beginning of the season and again this year to a far lesser extent. I expect this trend to have almost ran it's course as the young centre seems to be gaining confidence daily. Being a natural leader, Bo's energy either lifts or weighs down his line mates and team making it imperative that his "swagger" be a constant (ie Toews). His skills are apparently improving also as he is beating guys 1 on 1 with his hands and speed more often while his shot seems to be increasing in weight and accuracy. 

So I waited a bit to respond to this topic, not because I don't love Bo almost as much as my own children, but because I love Bo almost as much as my own children...

The answer is yes, Bo is our best player.

During the previous two seasons Bo was pretty quiet before Christmas, the effort was there, but the results weren't. This season we're beginning to see exactly what Gillis saw in Bo - #1C, Selke calibre, captain material.

He doesn't quit on a single play, makes his linemates better and hustles his butt to the bench on every change. He gets limited Ozone starts but shrugs it off by winning the draw and getting the play back to the other end. 

Kid doesn't pout, he snarls. Has a bad shift or doesn't get the pass he wanted, he goes balls to the wall, feeds the puck to his linemates and battles for his team. 

Fricken love this guy

12 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Bo Horvat has reached the next level

A complete two-way center who excels in his own end; first and foremost he is a competitor. Horvat always plays like there are 5 seconds left, and doesn't take a shift off. He plays to win, not for himself, but for the team. He is dependable in any situation and is exceptional in the face-off circle. Can finish chances as well as create them. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=117012#sthash.W1Qfq6c9.dpuf

Archived