The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Tankers to face the TRUTH.

hearditall

There's a lot of negativity on here about mediocrity etc.

When a team rebuilds, do you expect it to happen all in one year? To go from 30th overall one year to winning the cup the next? It will take time...and during that time we're going to be dancing around on the bubble. Maybe last season was the bottoming out...who knows? Maybe it's all uphill now. Maybe we finish in the 15 to 20 slot this year, 12 to 16 next year, 7 to 12 the next...I think it's how a rebuild works.

What I can't stand is so called fans who criticize success...now you're just being a little b*itch...are you that way in life too? Then your life must suck. If you can't look at each situation and see the good in it, then you quite simply will forever limit the joy you can experience in life overall.

9 hours ago, Provost said:

It is quite funny that now Toronto is within spitting distance of the playoffs... their management t and media (Dreger) is talking about how valuable playoff experience will be to their young kids.

So much for how awful the concept of rebuilding on the fly and being a fringe team.  We are stupid to try, but Toronto is suddenly geniuses when saying the same thing.

I guess one bad season is all it is supposed to take.  Heck we have more kids playing more meaningful minutes than they do.

Toronto has high end young talent is much more obvious than ours.  When hope for the season is lost....you tank.   Austin should be ours.

What a wonderful surprise our Canucks have given us this past 6 games. A team with character, that just doesn't quit. We are getting great goaltending, good face off win percentages, good shot blocking, secondary scoring from multiple players, and a powerplay that looks like it has been taken off life support and is generating some action. I am currently not a WD fan, but am being patient and hoping that I can be re-converted. The fancy stats parade always seems to be pointing out our flaws but we are hanging around in games and pulling off wins. More often than not we haven't been pretty so I guess we are the ugly duckling of the Canadian market. I don't care, I love watching us win and I Love My Nuks!

1 minute ago, ABNuck said:

There's a lot of negativity on here about mediocrity etc.

When a team rebuilds, do you expect it to happen all in one year? To go from 30th overall one year to winning the cup the next? It will take time...and during that time we're going to be dancing around on the bubble. Maybe last season was the bottoming out...who knows? Maybe it's all uphill now. Maybe we finish in the 15 to 20 slot this year, 12 to 16 next year, 7 to 12 the next...I think it's how a rebuild works.

What I can't stand is so called fans who criticize success...now you're just being a little b*itch...are you that way in life too? Then your life must suck. If you can't look at each situation and see the good in it, then you quite simply will forever limit the joy you can experience in life overall.

That's it aim low, avoid disappointment.

In July I posted how I thought the season would go, nothing new to change that post yet.

10 hours ago, hearditall said:

Keeping this short & sweet & TRUE. And yes I understand we are only half way thru the season. Could the 2nd half be worse than the 1st half?  I'm guessing Not

JB TL WD etc. &  a certain group on this site were the only ones to project what we are doing TODAY. Without mentioning any names most of us know who U (We) are. The real fans who just understand hockey & believe in their team thru thick & thin.  (That means this is not a bus or sky-train ride, alla bandwagoner style...)

Yes the 65 point REBUILD TEAM is right where Management (& the few group that knows who they are) said we would be. THEY were NOT lying or delusional after all...   :towel:

Miller, Granny, Baer, Tryamkin, Eriksson, Sutter, Skille, Stecher, etc.  Have to admit that JB has done a great job bringing these new (blood) guys inn... Yahhh JB...

Hats off to WD for sticking to his winning method, it's OBVIOUSLY rubbing of on Horvat, Edler, Baer, Granny, Sedins, Eriksson, Tryamkin, Stecher, etc...:towel:

Future is looking like a real hard working, winning environment which is crucial for success. Not quitting (tanking)...

Keep up the GREAT WORK WD JB TL etc...:canucks:::D:canucks:

https://www.nhl.com/standings

Western

Central GP W L OT PTS ROW GF GA DIFF HOME AWAY S/O L10 STRK Last Game Next Game
1Chicago 42 25 12 5 55 23 115 102 +13 15-4-4 10-8-1 2-1 5-4-1 W2 Jan 6: CHI 2 - CAR 1 Jan 8 vs NSH
2Minnesota 37 24 9 4 52 23 118 80 +38 13-4-0 11-5-4 1-2 9-1-0 W1 Jan 5: MIN 5 - SJS 4 Jan 7 @ LAK
3St. Louis 39 20 14 5 45 19 110 115 -5 15-4-4 5-10-1 1-1 4-5-1 L1 Jan 5: STL 2 - CAR 4 Jan 7 vs DAL
Central                                
1Chicago                                
2Minnesota                                
3St. Louis                                
Pacific GP W L OT PTS ROW GF GA DIFF HOME AWAY S/O L10 STRK Last Game Next Game
1Anaheim 41 21 12 8 50 19 112 111 +1 13-4-2 8-8-6 2-1 5-2-3 W3 Jan 6: ANA 3 - ARI 2 Jan 8 vs MIN
2San Jose 39 23 14 2 48 21 99 87 +12 13-5-1 10-9-1 2-0 6-3-1 L1 Jan 5: SJS 4 - MIN 5 Jan 7 vs DET
3Edmonton 40 20 13 7 47 18 115 107 +8 9-7-2 11-6-5 2-3 6-2-2 W1 Jan 5: EDM 4 - BOS 3 Jan 7 @ NJD
Pacific                                
1Anaheim                                
2San Jose                                
3Edmonton                                
Wild Card GP W L OT PTS ROW GF GA DIFF HOME AWAY S/O L10 STRK Last Game Next Game
1Calgary 41 21 18 2 44 19 111 116 -5 10-10-0 11-8-2 2-1 5-5-0 L1 Jan 6: CGY 2 - VAN 4 Jan 7 vs VAN
2Vancouver 41 20 18 3 43 16 104 118 -14 15-6-2 5-12-1 4-1 7-2-1 W6 Jan 6: VAN 4 - CGY 2 Jan 7 @ CGY
3Los Angeles 39 19 16 4 42 18 94 96 -2 11-5-1 8-11-3 1-3 4-4-2 L1 Jan 5: LAK 0 - DET 4 Jan 7 vs MIN
4Nashville 39 17 15 7 41 16 110 105 +5 10-5-5 7-10-2 1-3 4-3-3 L1 Jan 6: NSH 1 - FLA 2 Jan 8 @ CHI
5Winnipeg 41 19 19 3 41 17 113 122 -9 10-8-1 9-11-2 2-1 6-4-0 W2 Jan 4: WPG 4 - FLA 1 Jan 7 @ BUF
6Dallas 39 16 15 8 40 16 100 117 -17 11-6-4 5-9-4 0-0 5-3-2 OT1 Jan 4: DAL 3 - MTL 4 Jan 7 @ STL
7Arizona 39 11 22 6 28 8 84 127 -43 6-10-2 5-12-4 3-1 1-8-1 OT1 Jan 6: ARI 2 - ANA 3 Jan 7 vs NYI
8Colorado 39 13 25 1 27 13 79 130 -51 5-13-1 8-12-0 0-1 2-8-0 W1 Jan 6: COL 2 - NYI 1 Jan 12 vs ANA
Wild Card                                
1Calgary                                
2Vancouver

A certain group?

Of what?

Want a hug guys?  Maybe some balloons?

Since the 20th the only team we've beaten that has been a serious threat has been Edmonton.  The only teams we've beaten convincingly have been Winnipeg and Arizona.  Everyone else has been a 1 goal or overtime win by and large.  Might wanna temper things a bit instead of being one of those smug types we see so frequently after a string of wins on this board.  Because

Only Me and a select group of other guys on this forum predicted that posts like these would crop up after a few wins.  We KNEW.

:bigblush:

In all honesty wins are nice, but look at the level of competition  and the way they've come.  these last 6 games very easily could have been 3-3 or worse.  A little less back patting and a little more cool.

All I know is I hope that you enjoy mediocrity.  That's exactly where we're heading.  40+ years of sometimes good sometimes bad and an in the middle average shows us heading right back to the middle.

I just hope that everyone manages to not break an ankle when they jump off the bandwagon or develop carpal tunnel from self congratulatory postings and pats on the back

Tanking will never work with the new rules. EVER.  The odds are simply against it and every GM in this league knows it.  EDM has finally turned their ship around after a decade of tanking.  TO scorched the earth ONLY because they already had the prospects in place prior to them doing it..And have been rebuilding since before Burke came in.  Our team is in their third year of rebuilding and things look good.  I do hope that we don't get caught up in just trying to make the playoffs though and sell off Burrows and Miller while their stock is high...With the eye to the future.

Just now, IBatch said:

Tanking will never work with the new rules. EVER.  The odds are simply against it and every GM in this league knows it.  EDM has finally turned their ship around after a decade of tanking.  TO scorched the earth ONLY because they already had the prospects in place prior to them doing it..And have been rebuilding since before Burke came in.  Our team is in their third year of rebuilding and things look good.  I do hope that we don't get caught up in just trying to make the playoffs though and sell off Burrows and Miller while their stock is high...With the eye to the future.

Let's all agree here, Edmonton failed because they never "planned" their tank, they were always tying to rebuild on the fly.

TO was trying for years/decades to rebuild on the fly.

So did Calgary.

The new NHL rules definitely make tanking more of a crap shoot unless there are franchise type studs at the first three spots, then finishing DFL guarantees a third overall pick.

The really scary part now is that a bottom team could end up there for an extended period of time.

I think they will remove this "lottery" rule or modify it once certain teams that rely on winning to fill the arena are there. 

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A certain group?

Of what?

Want a hug guys?  Maybe some balloons?

Since the 20th the only team we've beaten that has been a serious threat has been Edmonton.  The only teams we've beaten convincingly have been Winnipeg and Arizona.  Everyone else has been a 1 goal or overtime win by and large.  Might wanna temper things a bit instead of being one of those smug types we see so frequently after a string of wins on this board.  Because

Only Me and a select group of other guys on this forum predicted that posts like these would crop up after a few wins.  We KNEW.

:bigblush:

In all honesty wins are nice, but look at the level of competition  and the way they've come.  these last 6 games very easily could have been 3-3 or worse.  A little less back patting and a little more cool.

All I know is I hope that you enjoy mediocrity.  That's exactly where we're heading.  40+ years of sometimes good sometimes bad and an in the middle average shows us heading right back to the middle.

I just hope that everyone manages to not break an ankle when they jump off the bandwagon or develop carpal tunnel from self congratulatory postings and pats on the back

I think we are in agreement that building a serious CUP contender and building a regular season team that can win more than lose is two different things. All Canuck fans should enjoy this run but it does not change the basics of a rebuild. Key elements of a CUP contender are acquired by draft. The higher the Canucks climb the poorer the odds of acquiring those pieces and the more important Benning's drafting becomes.

No matter the winning streak it does not change the reality of this roster. It is very thin. Any combo of injuries can torpedo the streak. It does not change my approach. Hoping Benning deals any combo of Miller, the Twins, Burrows and Tanev into the TDL. IMHO the returns would produce a quicker rebuild and a stronger roster for SERIOUS CUP contention.  

The Canucks were out played last night.  The win was a combination of goaltending and taking advantage of opportunities for the home team.

The Canucks are certainly better than 28th, the position they were in before the 6 game (and counting) winning streak.  But not as good as 17th either.  They are easily better than the Av's or the Coyotes, not quite a Calgary, LA, Tampa....

I would tend to split the difference at this point (17 + 28) / 2 = 23

9 hours ago, Provost said:

It is quite funny that now Toronto is within spitting distance of the playoffs... their management t and media (Dreger) is talking about how valuable playoff experience will be to their young kids.

So much for how awful the concept of rebuilding on the fly and being a fringe team.  We are stupid to try, but Toronto is suddenly geniuses when saying the same thing.

I guess one bad season is all it is supposed to take.  Heck we have more kids playing more meaningful minutes than they do.

But they have their future skilled first line all set, and are working on other wholes. Our is a question mark.

irNo matter how well we do we are going to lose a D man in the expansion draft. We would be wise to turn one of them into future assets. Management needs to be thinking more about the future then the now. We have D men like Subban and Pedan that need to get shots. We also need to get Beiga a few more games.

If we are out of the playoff race with 20 games to go then they need to Tank from there on to maximise their pick. It is a no brainer.

There is a time for everything

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

But they have their future skilled first line all set, and are working on other wholes. Our is a question mark.

... and we have three top 4 NHL D in their rookie or 2nd years and Juolevi all set.

We also have potential elite goaltending coming up the pipe.

i would put us up against their team anytime.

Posted this in another thread, however my thought is more applicable to this thread.

If Canucks keep this up, then it will be interesting to see which way JB will decide to go with this team. Keep in mind, February is a tough skid.

The team is in the playoff picture and competitive now...however, their ageing assets (Burrows, Edler, Hansen, Miller), who are playing well, could have good trade value in order to stock the cupboards plus there is the expansion draft to consider so to not lose assets for nothing.

JB will probably make a playoff push to see how far this team will go if they have a good February.

Archived