The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Tankers to face the TRUTH.

hearditall

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think we are in agreement that building a serious CUP contender and building a regular season team that can win more than lose is two different things. All Canuck fans should enjoy this run but it does not change the basics of a rebuild. Key elements of a CUP contender are acquired by draft. The higher the Canucks climb the poorer the odds of acquiring those pieces and the more important Benning's drafting becomes.

No matter the winning streak it does not change the reality of this roster. It is very thin. Any combo of injuries can torpedo the streak. It does not change my approach. Hoping Benning deals any combo of Miller, the Twins, Burrows and Tanev into the TDL. IMHO the returns would produce a quicker rebuild and a stronger roster for SERIOUS CUP contention.  

I just didn't like the bolded part of the OPs message.

So smug and self serving.

24 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

There's a lot of negativity on here about mediocrity etc.

When a team rebuilds, do you expect it to happen all in one year? To go from 30th overall one year to winning the cup the next? It will take time...and during that time we're going to be dancing around on the bubble. Maybe last season was the bottoming out...who knows? Maybe it's all uphill now. Maybe we finish in the 15 to 20 slot this year, 12 to 16 next year, 7 to 12 the next...I think it's how a rebuild works.

What I can't stand is so called fans who criticize success...now you're just being a little b*itch...are you that way in life too? Then your life must suck. If you can't look at each situation and see the good in it, then you quite simply will forever limit the joy you can experience in life overall.

I haven't posted anything on CDC for quite some time, but I had to respond to yours because you nailed what has been on my mind since JB & Co started changing our team...

So many Nucks fans need instant gratification and can't handle what it takes to go from a team that was one win away from the cup to having a changing of the guard in order to be competitive again. 

No youth in lineup because our team was stacked: "We need to inject youth!"

Stacked team grows older and we start to rebuild by injecting youth into the lineup but start to lose more games: "We need superstars to replace the Sedans...  NOW!"

Youth starts to get better and outperform themselves each year: "We suck because we're not in the playoffs!"

It goes on and on and never stops with some fans. Heck, so many people have even been screaming for years to develop our draft picks like Detroit but then when we let guys like V18 and Oli incubate... "Bust!" ... "Should've picked Tkachuk!"

What JB has done in his short time here is just short of remarkable, in my opinion; I mean, look at our back end! I've been able to see his vision since the beginning, with signing guys to short term contracts as stop gaps and mentors  (having their salaries coming off the books at the right times) to taking some well-calculated gambles on players like Vey, Etem, Granny and Baer, which JB is 50% on and looks to have fleeced Calgary on two trades. So what if Vey and Etem didn't work out. Show me a team that hits a home run with every move. Reality does not work that way. I much prefer having a GM that does take some calculated risks rather than doing absolutely nothing.

We will soon have one of the best goalie prospects joining the team (with Miller's contract coming off the books) and one of the best steals in recent drafts in Boeser entering our top six, and who knows who else will surprise us and make an impact. (There is so much more positive to note  about our team and what JB has done but I will refrain for sake of brevity.)

Point is: Our management is playing the long game while trying to stay competitive and it's working. Enough with the FOREBODING JOY, i say to those incessantly negative fans, and let's all enjoy our new and exciting team that is working their collective tail off to win for their fans, through the win streaks and the losing.

GCG 

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I haven't posted anything on CDC for quite some time, but I had to respond to yours because you nailed what has been on my mind since JB & Co started changing our team...

So many Nucks fans need instant gratification and can't handle what it takes to go from a team that was one win away from the cup to having a changing of the guard in order to be competitive again. 

No youth in lineup because our team was stacked: "We need to inject youth!"

Stacked team grows older and we start to rebuild by injecting youth into the lineup but start to lose more games: "We need superstars to replace the Sedans...  NOW!"

Youth starts to get better and outperform themselves each year: "We suck because we're not in the playoffs!"

It goes on and on and never stops with some fans. Heck, so many people have even been screaming for years to develop our draft picks like Detroit but then when we let guys like V18 and Oli incubate... "Bust!" ... "Should've picked Tkachuk!"

What JB has done in his short time here is just short of remarkable, in my opinion; I mean, look at our back end! I've been able to see his vision since the beginning, with signing guys to short term contracts as stop gaps and mentors  (having their salaries coming off the books at the right times) to taking some well-calculated gambles on players like Vey, Etem, Granny and Baer, which JB is 50% on and looks to have fleeced Calgary on two trades. So what if Vey and Etem didn't work out. Show me a team that hits a home run with every move. Reality does not work that way. I much prefer having a GM that does take some calculated risks rather than doing absolutely nothing.

We will soon have one of the best goalie prospects joining the team (with Miller's contract coming off the books) and one of the best steals in recent drafts in Boeser entering our top six, and who knows who else will surprise us and make an impact. (There is so much more positive to note  about our team and what JB has done but I will refrain for sake of brevity.)

Point is: Our management is playing the long game while trying to stay competitive and it's working. Enough with the FOREBODING JOY, i say to those incessantly negative fans, and let's all enjoy our new and exciting team that is working their collective tail off to win for their fans, through the win streaks and the losing.

GCG 

Couldn't have summed it up better myself. We're no contender this year but the pieces are coming together nicely.

10 hours ago, Odd. said:

I just hope we aren't buyers this TDL

JB didn't buy rentals last time we made the playoffs. Instead he dealt a 2nd for Baer, Mallet for Pedan both of whom are still with the club. He also tossed Jeffery for Conacher who would have been decent depth if we made it past the first round and encountered injuries instead he lit up Utica and helped take them to the Calder finals the only move you could come close to calling a rental was Gusto for Clendening which was a calculated move that didn't work out in the end but was hardly a rental. 

Point being I don't see JB compromising the future just to get swept again in the first round. If there is a hockey trade to be made for a player he sees having a future here he will pull the trigger. 

11 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

We should still offload assets. Rebuild while being competitive , holding onto pieces is still going to push us towards mediocrity, I hope management is thinking about the future of this team.

I know what you're saying Mitts, in theory thats great. But this is a weird year with expansion and it sounds like the GM phone lines are pretty quiet according to some articles. So I'm expecting nothing to happen whatsoever on trades. 

But I think we also have a great opportunity here to see what we really have in guys like Baer, Granny, Rodin, Tryamkin, Stecher and Hutton, and even Loui. I really want to see if these guys can tough it out to a playoff spot, and see how they perform in the real season. Playoffs are where guys take the next step. If Bo and Baer e.g, can learn to raise his game even more in that intensity thats worth a few pick spots imo. 

Prepared to be disappointed if you're one of the people hoping to see Miller moved at the deadline...

Moving high paid goalies at that time is next to impossible. I expect Benning to get low ball offers (assuming he even entertains the thought of trading Miller) and ultimately not trade him - much like what happened with Hamhuis last year. 

I don't think we really need to worry about Benning becoming a buyer at the trade deadline, but we shouldn't be expecting Benning to let go of players either. Why would Benning want to break up a group that's pushing for a playoff spot and playing well together...

34 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Let's all agree here, Edmonton failed because they never "planned" their tank, they were always tying to rebuild on the fly.

TO was trying for years/decades to rebuild on the fly.

So did Calgary.

The new NHL rules definitely make tanking more of a crap shoot unless there are franchise type studs at the first three spots, then finishing DFL guarantees a third overall pick.

The really scary part now is that a bottom team could end up there for an extended period of time.

I think they will remove this "lottery" rule or modify it once certain teams that rely on winning to fill the arena are there. 

I completely agree that the new rules went to far.  With thirty plus teams in the future and the parity the cap has brought bottom teams simply can't plan their rebuild around acquiring future stars via the draft.  About once a decade do you get two star players come in like McDavid and Eichel which under the old system gaurantee a stud for bottom teams .... Teams don't tank on purpose...If you look back to that draft year Buffalo won games near the end that if they didn't could have changed their fortunes...Same with EDM.  Same goes for the year Mario was drafted.  I also think that in a few years after some bad teams get boned repeatedly the rules will get modified.

I'm not even entirely sure why some people think Benning is a bad GM who would trade away our future for a rental player. 

Sure, a couple of his trades have flopped and I was straight up calling for Benning's head after the Shinkaruk/Granlund trade, but now hindsight is starting to make that look like a damn fine move.

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I expect Benning to get low ball offers (assuming he even entertains the thought of trading Miller) and ultimately not trade him - much like what happened with Hamhuis last year. 

Tell us what was Benning supposed to do differently. Hammer dragged his feet, would only consider 2 teams. Dallas moved on. There is nothing any GM could have done differently when a guy with a NTC doesn't want to go.

5 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Prepared to be disappointed if you're one of the people hoping to see Miller moved at the deadline...

Moving high paid goalies at that time is next to impossible. I expect Benning to get low ball offers (assuming he even entertains the thought of trading Miller) and ultimately not trade him - much like what happened with Hamhuis last year. 

I don't think we really need to worry about Benning becoming a buyer at the trade deadline, but we shouldn't be expecting Benning to let go of players either. Why would Benning want to break up a group that's pushing for a playoff spot and playing well together...

Elliote Freedman has already hinted that two teams have been showing interest in Miller.  Dallas and we get either Niemi or Lethonen back is the obvious one plus a second. So don't be surprised if it happens.

Also I am on the fence if we should do this.   We could resign for one more year and then reconsider next year... Especially if we are as high as second in the division come trade deadline.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Elliote Freedman has already hinted that two teams have been showing interest in Miller.  Dallas and we get either Niemi or Lethonen back is the obvious one plus a second. So don't be surprised if it happens.

Ugh, I'd prefer to keep Miller and let him walk this summer rather than be stuck with Lehtonen or Niemi next year.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Fridge-man has been wrong a lot lately tho when it comes to the Canucks. 

I wouldn't do that trade for less than Dallas' 1st round pick. Why give them a real chance at a run for just a 2nd rounder? 1st or nothing. Jim has no need to be reasonable on a deal with Dallas. 

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Ugh, I'd prefer to keep Miller and let him walk this summer rather than be stuck with Lehtonen or Niemi next year.

For a second I think it would be worth it. I think both of their goalies contracts expire next year and Demko might need another year developing.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

I wouldn't do that trade for less than Dallas' 1st round pick. Why give them a real chance at a run for just a 2nd rounder? 1st or nothing. Jim has no need to be reasonable on a deal with Dallas. 

Apparently the Galardis and Acquilinis have made up enough to partner on the proposed Mt Garibaldi ski development. I doubt Miller would get a 1st Rounder but Dallas's 2nd Rounder would be a good pick.

I try to rationalize the outlook like this:

This team does not need to tank if Jake, Boeser and Juolevi turn out.  They already have the assets, they just need them to develop and pan out as projected -it not like this should be a miracle.

What is muddying the water here is the #6 pick.  If Jake was showing any signs of life in the AHL I think the outlook would be very different.

Look at the Flames, they are perceived as rebuilding on the right path.  How many more top picks do they have than the Canucks during the past 5 years? Bennett at #4.   The difference is that their top 10 picks are in the NHL contributing now and they found a guy in the latter rounds (Johnny boy) that is a top 6 player.

With the right asset management and player development they shouldnt have to languish in the bottom 10 a la colorado or winnipeg year after year.

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

That would be better than losing Miller for nothing...A first would be awesome...I just hope Benning learned from Hamhuis and even Vrbata...And this time we get picks and or prospects... Instead of nothing.   Miller is our unsung hero this year and I am starting to grow fond of him so I would be happy if we resigned for a year at up to 5 mill.

Archived