The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Willie Watch

JM_

I've seen enough. I do not believe that Willie has the ability to turn this around for several reasons:

1. You can't get any more effort out of these guys.

2. The kids are not being played enough.

3. Willie is convinced the only way with this team is winning 1-0 or 2-1 games.

So, in that spirit, how many more losses will it take for a coaching change, and who should replace Willie?

And for the Willie supporters (you know who you are), please elaborate on why this guy with this system is a good idea and why it should be stuck with instead of just trashing people who want a change. 

8 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I've seen enough. I do not believe that Willie has the ability to turn this around for several reasons:

1. You can't get any more effort out of these guys.

2. The kids are not being played enough.

3. Willie is convinced the only way with this team is winning 1-0 or 2-1 games.

So, in that spirit, how many more losses will it take for a coaching change, and who should replace Willie?

And for the Willie supporters (you know who you are), please elaborate on why this guy with this system is a good idea and why it should be stuck with instead of just trashing people who want a change. 

If you think a coaching change will make this roster win games you're going to be dissapointed

Just now, Ihatetomatoes said:

If you think a coaching change will make this roster win games you're going to be dissapointed

Tell me how its going to hurt? Absolutely a coaching change can help - like focusing on 2nd and 3rd chances. Sure it allows more chances back, but let our high paid goaltending do its job that way. 

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If the Canucks do decide to fire Willie Desjardins, it would make sense for Doug Jarvis to take over as an interim head coach. Then later on in the off-season, they could bring in Travis Green.

Yuk... Another inexperienced coach...

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I am OK with the losses.

I just can't stand Willy coaching decisions in regarding ice time minutes, players he sits , power play, and zone starts..  

Willy has proven he can commit to developing our younger players. 

Right - losses ins service of building up the kids skill set is just fine.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Tell me how its going to hurt? Absolutely a coaching change can help - like focusing on 2nd and 3rd chances. Sure it allows more chances back, but let our high paid goaltending do its job that way. 

It could help a bit with a great coach but there is not exactly a group of amazing coaches waiting for jobs. 

This entire year we've lacked offense, Sedins ahve carried this team for the last 5 years and its becoming apparent that they really just can't and we have almost no secondary scoring. Relying on a second line with Sutter and Granlund on it is a recipe for a disaster. You can't squeeze water out of a rock and a coach isn't going to change that.

22 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Yuk... Another inexperienced coach...

Doug Jarvis knows what it takes to win in this league. He has played the game, he is the current holder for the most consecutive games played in the NHL with 964. Following his playing career, he quickly jumped into coaching career with the Minnesota North Stars and helped the team reach the Stanley Cup Finals in 1991. He coached there for 14 years and finally won the cup in 1999 with the Dallas Stars. He also coached the Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins. He definitely does have experience. Remember, I am suggesting this is just an interim position for this season.

While Travis Green is quite familiar with some of the players and has watched them develop into NHL players. It will be an easier transition of bringing in a coach from our own farm team, who has been looking for an NHL job for some time now, than it is to go with another coach that may have experience, but it will take time to adjust and getting to know each player.

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

It could help a bit with a great coach but there is not exactly a group of amazing coaches waiting for jobs. 

This entire year we've lacked offense, Sedins ahve carried this team for the last 5 years and its becoming apparent that they really just can't and we have almost no secondary scoring. Relying on a second line with Sutter and Granlund on it is a recipe for a disaster. You can't squeeze water out of a rock and a coach isn't going to change that.

We don't need "great" we need someone with a better understanding of scoring. I love the Sedin's but that engine is sputtering. And I can't believe that limiting the time of our young players and not playing guys like Stecher is a recipe for success. 

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Doug Jarvis knows what it takes to win in this league. He has played the game, he is the current holder for the most consecutive games played in the NHL with 964. Following his playing career, he quickly jumped into coaching career with the Minnesota North Stars and helped the team reach the Stanley Cup Finals in 1991. He coached there for 14 years and finally won the cup in 1998 with the Dallas Stars. He also coached the Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins. He definitely does have experience. Remember, I am suggesting this is just an interim position for this season.

While Travis Green is quite familiar with some of the players and has watched them develop into NHL players. It will be an easier transition of bringing in a coach from our own farm team, who has been looking for an NHL job for some time now, than it is to go with another coach that may have experience, but it will take time to adjust and getting to know each player.

Doug Jarvis has not won 1 game in the NHL as a head coach, to say he has what it takes makes no sense because he doesn't even know if he has what it takes. The Canucks need a proven winner who can take control of the room, a vet of sorts.

Gotta reach outside the organization, not within.

Archived